The New Firebase

Douglas Correa

May 18, 2016, 3:05:24 PM5/18/16
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys!

I'm excited about the New Firebase: https://firebase.google.com/docs/

I see that many of our pains are solved by the new platform:

Some of our pains "seems" to be solved by other features but I need to go deep into it to see if it is the case:

And, of course, a lot of new features:

- Notifications, Invites, Remote config, etc.

I'm still looking at documentation to see how to migrate to it. One worries is that according to this page only Angularfire 2.x.x is supported: https://firebase.google.com/support/guides/firebase-web#monitor_authentication_state_numbered

Douglas

Douglas Correa

May 18, 2016, 3:09:45 PM5/18/16
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, Cloud Message has nothing to do with triggers, maybe Cloud Functions only

Steffen Frost

May 18, 2016, 4:01:26 PM5/18/16
to Firebase Google Group
Does "Notifications" mean push notifications in iOS? -s

Jacob Wenger

May 18, 2016, 4:39:59 PM5/18/16
to Firebase Google Group
@Douglas - You can definitely use Google Cloud Functions to get Triggers-like functionality. We would love to make this experience more integrated in Firebase but don't have anything to announce today unfortunately. It is definitely on our radar though.

@Steffen - Yes it does! Push notifications in Firebase have arrived. Check out the Notifications docs for more info.

Steffen Frost

May 18, 2016, 5:53:18 PM5/18/16
to Firebase Google Group
I am super impressed.  Haven't seen very many feature updates in the last 2 years, got a little quite and was becoming concerned if Google was valuing the Firebase platform and allocating resources accordingly.  Well today we know what emphatically got an answer and very happy the direction Firebase is going.  Very happy.

James Tamplin

May 18, 2016, 6:44:16 PM5/18/16
to Firebase Google Group
Thank you Steffen! We've been heads down for a while now and are glad we can show the community what we've been working on. Thank you for your support from the beginning!

Sebastian Ezequiel Balazote Oliver

May 18, 2016, 9:22:19 PM5/18/16
to Firebase Google Group
Guys i wanted to use GCM in my project but as the documentation suggested to start using FCM i followed this guide https://firebase.google.com/docs/cloud-messaging/android/client but i'm having trouble adding the Firebase messaging library.

Currently using Gradle in Android Studio 2.1.1 configured with jcenter and mavenCentral.

> Could not find com.google.firebase:firebase-messaging:9.0.0.
     Searched in the following locations:
         file:/E:/android-sdks/extras/android/m2repository/com/google/firebase/firebase-messaging/9.0.0/firebase-messaging-9.0.0.pom
         file:/E:/android-sdks/extras/android/m2repository/com/google/firebase/firebase-messaging/9.0.0/firebase-messaging-9.0.0.jar
         file:/E:/android-sdks/extras/google/m2repository/com/google/firebase/firebase-messaging/9.0.0/firebase-messaging-9.0.0.pom
         file:/E:/android-sdks/extras/google/m2repository/com/google/firebase/firebase-messaging/9.0.0/firebase-messaging-9.0.0.jar

Could you please help me? Thanks in advance.

Douglas Correa

May 19, 2016, 9:04:15 AM5/19/16
to fireba...@googlegroups.com
One way to get the triggers functionality using Google Cloud Function is creating an specific bucket in GCS then creating new objects there when you want to something happens in GFS in background.

If you want to call GFS synchronously you can use the out-of-box HTTP endpoints.

So I think we can take Google Cloud Functions + Firebase Storage as a way to use the "triggers-like" functionality.

I will try to create some POC.

Best regards,

Douglas

Kato Richardson

May 19, 2016, 6:03:46 PM5/19/16
to Firebase Google Group
Sebastien,

Please reach out to support with this error or drop it on Stack Overflow. Also, in the future, start your own discussion when asking a brand new question unrelated to the thread.

☼, Kato

Kato Richardson | Developer Programs Eng | kato...@google.com | 775-235-8398

Sebastian Ezequiel Balazote Oliver

May 20, 2016, 5:57:50 PM5/20/16
to Firebase Google Group
Kato,

My issue was related to the version of Google Play Services. I updated it to Rev. 30. and problem solved.

Thanks a lot!