Unresponsive FED in doomsday mode

Sowmya Narayan

Jan 20, 2023, 7:22:11 AM1/20/23
to FEDforum
Hello! I'm having some problems with one of our FED3 devices which was working properly until recently. These were purchased about a year ago, and the other devices ordered along with the problematic one are running smoothly. When this FED is turned on, nothing shows on the display and instead the lights flash repeatedly on the front and inside.

- The only time it responds is if I double tap the reset button inside, but all this does is stop the flashing lights.
- When I plug the arduino into a computer via the USB cable, I'm not able to access any scripts (though this could be due to a permission issue with the Arduino software on my computer which I am working on getting fixed).
-The SD card is also not detected; I get a message saying the PC can't detect a drive of that name.

We have only been using the preprogrammed options for our behavioral tests, so I am not sure from where the problem is arising. Since I can't really get any message from the FED other than the dramatic flashing lights, I am here to see if anyone has any insight on fixing this.

Thank you!
Sowmya

Lex

Jan 20, 2023, 2:01:08 PM1/20/23
to Sowmya Narayan, FEDforum
Hi Sowmya!
It sounds like you are experiencing an SD card error that is stopping the FED3 from booting up.  Is anything displaying on the screen while the lights are flashing?

Have you tried swapping in an SD card from a working FED3 to see if it's just a bad card?

If that doesn't work, I would try swapping the Adalogger board inside of the problematic FED3 with one from a working FED3 to try to localize the issue to the Adalogger or the FED3 itself. See video here for what I'm talking about: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=73P3nEKpRoA

Post back if either of those ideas works!

Best, -Lex

Sowmya Narayan

Feb 7, 2023, 12:24:43 PM2/7/23
to FEDforum
Hi Lex, thanks for this advice! Apparently the problem with this device was 2fold: for some reason the SD card was acting up, and replacing it with another like you suggested solved part of the problem. The display was also not functioning properly so we replaced it as well, and for now all seems to be running smoothly :)

Best,
Sowmya