Mirror interface traffic

Leonidas Kallipolitis

Feb 7, 2020, 8:56:58 AM2/7/20
to fed4fire-experimenters
Hi,

Is there a way that we could mirror all network traffic to the interface of one specific (physical) node? E.g. to make it act as network monitoring machine.

Thanks,
Leo

Brecht Vermeulen

Feb 7, 2020, 8:59:47 AM2/7/20
to Leonidas Kallipolitis, fed4fire-experimenters
Hi Leonidas,

which testbed are you using ?
And you mean mirror traffic of all nodes in a experiment to one specific interface ? (as you would use a hub ?)

I think it will be difficult/not possible, but if you have a more specific question, maybe there is a workaround.

thanks,
Brecht

Leonidas Kallipolitis

Feb 7, 2020, 9:04:55 AM2/7/20
to fed4fire-experimenters
Hi Brecht,

It's Virtual Wall 2 I am using and yes it would mean that traffic between all nodes of the experiment is mirrored to the interface of one specific node.
I would then have a netflow collector there and analyse network traffic

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 2:57 PM Leonidas Kallipolitis <lkalli...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way that we could mirror all network traffic to the interface of one specific (physical) node? E.g. to make it act as network monitoring machine.

Thanks,
Leo

Brecht Vermeulen

Feb 7, 2020, 9:21:15 AM2/7/20
to Leonidas Kallipolitis, fed4fire-experimenters
Hi Leonidas,

I think you will need to do this through software (if your netflow collector cannot be operated in a distributed way).

best regards,
Brecht

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 3:05 PM Leonidas Kallipolitis <lkalli...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Brecht,

It's Virtual Wall 2 I am using and yes it would mean that traffic between all nodes of the experiment is mirrored to the interface of one specific node.
I would then have a netflow collector there and analyse network traffic

Leonidas Kallipolitis

Feb 7, 2020, 9:50:07 AM2/7/20
to fed4fire-experimenters
Ok, your example made me think the other way around, I just installed a probe to every node that sends traffic to my central collector.
So eventually it was easier than thought.

Thanks!