SMV - script

Ahcene Belkacem

Sep 8, 2022, 12:27:24 PM9/8/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hello,

  I'm having some troubles using theses three commands :

- SHOWPLOT3DDATA
- SETTIMEVAL
- XYZVIEW

My main goal is to display a 3D plot in all the meshes at T=240s and z=2m with the scene oriented onto Z axis .

so I followed the SMV guide , and wrote this  :

LOADINIFILE
pathxx
RENDERDIR
dirxx
SHOWPLOT3DDATA
1 1 1 2
SETTIMEVAL
240
XYZVIEW
0 0 1 0 2
RENDERONCE

and the result was just a view without any 3D plot displayed.

Do I have to specifiy the exact time eval (example 241.0014 ) or is it ok  if it's near this value,same  issues for distance (2m!).
or is the usage below wrong ?

thank you for your help!

Randy McDermott

Sep 8, 2022, 12:39:02 PM9/8/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
When I use Smokeview scripts, I start by recording a script and then modifying it little by little until I get what I want.  I have never attempted to write one from scratch directly from the smv user guide.

To record a script, in Smokeview, right-click and got to Load/Unload >> Scripts >> Record >> start

Once you have recorded a script.  Make it plays back using runscript.  If that does not work, it is a bug and we can take a look.

Glenn Forney

Sep 8, 2022, 12:48:16 PM9/8/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
you also need to add a script command to load the plot3d file.

here is a portion of the script used to output images for the thouse5.fds case in the smv repo

UNLOADALL
LOADINIFILE
 thouse5_plot3d.ini
LOADPLOT3D
 1 24.400000

SHOWPLOT3DDATA
 1 1 1 0 5.866670
SHOWPLOT3DDATA
 1 2 1 1 1.300000
SHOWPLOT3DDATA
 1 3 1 0 2.400000
SHOWPLOT3DDATA
 1 4 1 0 6
PLOT3DPROPS
 1 0 4 1
RENDERONCE
thouse5_plot3d_val

--
Glenn Forney

Ahcene Belkacem

Sep 8, 2022, 1:27:42 PM9/8/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
yes , but bizzarely this doesn't work with the recording , the recorder script ssf :

RENDERDIR
 .
XSCENECLIP
 0 -0.056000 0 56.056000
YSCENECLIP
 0 -0.040000 0 40.040001
ZSCENECLIP
 0 9.727500 0 32.272499
SCENECLIP
 0
LOADPLOT3D
 100.000000

and when launching it , it displays ****Error plot3D file  failed to load .

Glenn Forney

Sep 8, 2022, 1:38:32 PM9/8/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
You need to add an integer before the time to indicate the mesh

Glenn Forney

Sep 8, 2022, 1:39:37 PM9/8/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
did the recorder output?

LOADPLOT3D
 100.000000

--
Glenn Forney

Ahcene Belkacem

Sep 8, 2022, 1:44:43 PM9/8/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
yes that is from the recorder script . I tried on other simulations as well but was same problem .
Capture.JPG

Glenn Forney

Sep 8, 2022, 2:07:19 PM9/8/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Edit the script to add the mesh number before time. Ill look at why recorder didnt do that

Ahcene Belkacem

Sep 8, 2022, 2:33:33 PM9/8/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
sorry , but is there any way to display all the meshes at once ?

Andrew Louie

Sep 10, 2022, 10:50:51 AM9/10/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend that you set all your views with the data you want loaded and the bounds setup, and save them in the ini file. Then in the script, load the ini file, then set the view properly to using:

LOADINIFILE
 myinifile.ini
SETVIEWPOINT
 myview1
SETTIMEVAL
  100.0
RENDERONCE
   myplotfile

For each quantity, save a new ini file and use LOADINIFILE to have the script load it, and render.

--
-Andrew Louie :wq

Ahcene Belkacem

Sep 15, 2022, 9:11:25 AM9/15/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Hi, thank you for your answer, I was able to create a small program which automates the image extraction process by calling the ini and ssf file and it worked well,  I use  GRIDPARMS (in the ini file) to display a given slice  that indicate the position f the 3Dslice, but I noticed that for some models it poses a problem on smoke view, some slice3D are in -1, see the example below (x : -1) , @Mr.Glenn P. Forney  could you tell me is this an SMV bug ?

Capture.JPG