FDS and ABAQUS Connection

despw26

Sep 15, 2022, 6:04:24 AM9/15/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Greetings everyone!

I would like to ask if anyone of you knows how to transfer output data from FDS to FEM software ABAQUS?

Thank you in advance.

Randy McDermott

Sep 15, 2022, 7:15:41 AM9/15/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
There was an effort by a small company called Global Engineering and Materials, going back several years now, where they had an SBIR grant from the US Navy to couple FDS to Abaqus.  I do not know what happened to that script.  Everything we have now for structural coupling is maintaintained here by Julio Cesar Silva in Brazil:

I suspect that to get anything to work you'd have to read the boundary files and create your own Abaqus input files.

Rahul

Sep 15, 2022, 9:38:53 AM9/15/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
There is tool, FDS2FEM, developed by Antti Paajanen of VTT, Finland which support transfer of boundary conditions from FDS to Abaqus in two ways. One is using boundary files generated by FDS and the other is using point devices (&DEVC) in FDS. The former will give you a more accurate representation of the thermal field on the structure but it can be computational intensive (large file sizes and longer run times).
The latter method can achieve a similar degree of accuracy with less computational effort if you have a large number devices to capture the variation in the thermal field.
This paper describes the tool and its usage: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S014102962200284X

despw26

Sep 15, 2022, 10:49:12 AM9/15/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
Thank you everyone for your responses.  Both of them were enlightening and useful.
May I ask a general question about this?
Why there is very little information and interest in this process? Isn't important in nowadays to use real wildland fire simulation in structural analysis?

Thank you in advance.

Emanuele Gissi

Sep 16, 2022, 3:04:59 AM9/16/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions
> Isn't important in nowadays to use real wildland fire simulation in structural analysis?

IMHO, this is an in development field.
As fire safety AHJ we do not yet see any analysis of this type.
But there is a growing interest in the topic, in particular due to the climate crisis.

Do you have any idea on how we could facilitate this process? integration in BlenderFDS?
Emanuele

Julio Cesar Silva

Sep 16, 2022, 5:19:41 AM9/16/22
to fds...@googlegroups.com
Under Utilities\Structural Interaction you can find FDS2FTMI.
This approach uses BNDF to extract results from FDS simulation and then applies FDS results as boundary conditions in a thermo-mechanical analysis.

Nowadays the code can apply the boundary conditions in LS-DYNA and ANSYS, but it could evolve in ABAQUS direction.

Take a look at the User's Guide
and let me know what you think and if you have any questions.
Maybe we can add ABAQUS capability.

Best regards,
Julio

M.Malendowski

Sep 16, 2022, 6:00:51 AM9/16/22
to FDS and Smokeview Discussions

At Poznan University of Technology, we have homemade Matlab scripts for extracting data both from devices and BNDF, and then to specify boundary conditions in Abaqus input file or by Fortran subroutine.
Using devices instead of BNDF is useful, when size of the structural element is not comparable to the grid size. This I use for steel structures, see https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0263823121005759?via%3Dihub.
Similarly, when you consider surfaces that do not coincide with rectangular grid, devices allow to capture heat exposure from any direction.
Usually we adjust the scripts for particular case studies.