Communication channels

Leonardo Uieda

Aug 28, 2019, 5:59:05 AM8/28/19
to fati...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have not been great at communicating and building a sense community around Fatiando.
Part of the reason for that is a lack of a single clear communication channel.
Right now, we have: email, github, gitter.

I would like to have one or more chat rooms where we can talk about the project development, ask questions, and get to know each other.
Other successful projects have Slack chat rooms. I'm already on Slack and like it quite a bit.

Would people here be interested in this? I can set it up for us to try and I'm open to suggestions.

I'm also planning on having regular (monthly) open video calls.

Thanks,

Leo

--
Leonardo Uieda

Lecturer in Geophysics
Department of Earth, Ocean and Ecological Sciences
School of Environmental Sciences
University of Liverpool, UK
ORCID: 0000-0001-6123-9515
Website: www.leouieda.com

Vanderlei Coelho

Aug 28, 2019, 6:56:44 AM8/28/19
to fati...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I think that a single communication channel would be easier. Slack could be a good option (I will try to learn how to use it this time).

I also agree with you about the open video calls. Maybe, it would be good to define a single channel for them as well.

Cheers,
Vanderlei

Leonardo Uieda

Aug 28, 2019, 10:56:30 AM8/28/19
to fati...@googlegroups.com
Another option is to use our Gitter channel more.
Looking into slack, it's a bit of a pain to setup an open workspace (where anyone can sign up).
Please check it out at https://gitter.im/fatiando/fatiando and see what you all think.

--
Leonardo Uieda

Lecturer in Geophysics
Department of Earth, Ocean and Ecological Sciences
School of Environmental Sciences
University of Liverpool, UK
ORCID: 0000-0001-6123-9515
Website: www.leouieda.com

Leonardo Miquelutti

Aug 28, 2019, 10:58:28 AM8/28/19
to fati...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

as an end-user of these channels, slack is my favorite.

Cheers,
Leo

Christian Hardwick

Aug 28, 2019, 12:37:58 PM8/28/19
to fati...@googlegroups.com
Hey Leo,

Slack works for me as I already use it for other groups. It would be an easier assimilation, however, I am open to trying something new.

-Christian

--
Christian L. Hardwick, P.G.
Geophysicist, Geothermal Section Manager

Leonardo Uieda