“Lust” and sexual violence

SR Ballard

Jun 29, 2021, 1:36:10 PM6/29/21
to extro...@googlegroups.com
Pleasure and lust are not the same. Orgasms, eating, doing drugs, and winning are all pleasurable but none of them require lust.

 Rapists have also been classified based upon motivational characteristics. Groth (1979) created a typology based upon the degree of aggression, the underlying motivation of the offender and the existence of other antisocial behaviors, which resulted in four types of rapists. The power-reassurance or sexual-aim rapist is characterized by feelings of inadequacy and poor social skills and does not inflict injury upon his victims (National Center for Women and Policing, 2001). The violence used by the power-reassurance rapist is only sufficient to achieve the compliance of the victim or to complete the sexual act. Such an individual may perceive that the victim has shown a sexual interest in him, or that by the use of force the victim will grow to like him (Craissati, 2005). The power-assertive or antisocial rapist is impulsive, uses aggressive methods of control and abuses substances. His sexual assaults are often unplanned and he is unlikely to use a weapon (Groth, 1979). The third type of rapist is the anger-retaliation or aggressive-aim rapist, who is motivated by power and aggression. This individual sexually assaults for retaliatory reasons and often degrades or humiliates the victim.

The fourth type is the sadistic rapist, who reenacts sexual fantasies involving torture or pain. Sexual sadism is defined as the repeated practice of cruel sexual behavior that is combined with fantasy and characterized by a desire to control the victim (MacCullock et al., 1983). This type is characterized by extensive planning and may often result in sexual murder (Groth, 1979). Although it has been reported in only 5 percent of rapists (see Craissati, 2005, for a review), sexual sadism has consistently been shown as a strong predictor of both sexual and violent recidivism (Hanson & Morton-Bourgon, 2005).”

SR Ballard

On Jun 29, 2021, at 1:12 PM, Brent Allsop <brent....@gmail.com> wrote:

It could be configured that way, but you'd still need some pleasure, wired up to that having control, otherwise not?

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021, 10:39 AM SR Ballard <sen....@gmail.com> wrote:
I don’t think that the most normal motivator for rape is lust (except perhaps date rape?), but rather power and control.

SR Ballard

On Jun 29, 2021, at 10:33 AM, William Flynn Wallace <fooz...@gmail.com> wrote:

How would human behaviour be more or less ethical and/or moral if the processes of decision making was conducted in the absence of emotional attachment?  from quora

Can’t be done. A man with a brain injury which detached the emotional center from the frontal cortex could not make a simple decision. Coffee? Could not decide.

So the question is moot: we simply cannot do it. You are assuming that all emotional things are irrational. Think of them as nonrational. Emotions makes perfectly good sense: we enjoy food, sex, beauty and so on. All great emotions.

Fear keeps us safe. Let’s hear it for fear! Of course any emotion can be bad. Too much lust could lead to rape. Too much fear leads to phobias and shyness. Too much enjoyment of food can lead to obesity, and so on for all emotions.

Be thankful for your emotions. Like anything else, they could lead you to bad decisions, but without them we are zombies who can make no decisions at all.

Brent Allsop

Jun 29, 2021, 1:59:20 PM6/29/21
to extro...@googlegroups.com

"Orgasms, eating, doing drugs, and winning" and most everything else we are talking about, including sadism, are composite qualia.  I think there is an elemental qualia level, (like redness and greenness) out of which all these things can be built or programmed, similar to the way you can paint a picture out of an elemental color pallet.

Pride could be some joy wired to knowledge of others doing good.  Sadism could be similar joy, wired to knowledge of someone suffering.  To me it is important to Distinguish reality from knowledge of reality.

William Flynn Wallace

Jun 29, 2021, 2:36:44 PM6/29/21
to extro...@googlegroups.com, ExI chat list
We are talking about joy, when that is a fairly rare thing. The most common emotion is just satisfaction - a little nod of the head, a little smile.  Pride is certainly like that - no tears, no big heart rate increase, no ecstasy.  Wouldn't it be nice, though, if other things in the world gave us their equivalent of orgasms?

bill w

Brent Allsop

Jun 29, 2021, 4:21:58 PM6/29/21
On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:36 PM William Flynn Wallace <fooz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice, though, if other things in the world gave us their equivalent of orgasms?

Exactly, to say nothing of discovering new elemental qualia no human has ever experienced, and ever more complex ways of binding them all...
I'm just a normal trichromat.  I can't wait to experience that 4th color, Tetrachromats represent some of the same visual spectrum with, which I have never experienced.

Here's to a future of Qualia discovery and consciousness engineering, a future of cutting the evolutionary(or godly?) puppet strings and rewiring them to be the way we want them to be.

William Flynn Wallace

Jun 29, 2021, 5:49:58 PM6/29/21
to extro...@googlegroups.com, ExI chat list
Where would we stop?  If we could have an orgasm by pulling our left earlobe anything we wanted to...........?  I think we have enough orgasms (though I cannot speak for myself).  I would enhance our sense of smell so that we could enjoy food, flowers, etc. so much more.  I would enhance vision to the eagle level.  I would introduce a mute button to hearing and add lower and higher frequencies.

Then I would make these enhanced senses last far into old age.  What evolution's object is to make us, esp. men, deafer and deafer as we grow older, is a puzzle.  Ditto cataracts.
But personally, life was a great deal, I think we can agree on that.

bill w