Diaspora

William Flynn Wallace

Mar 24, 2021, 1:09:06 PM3/24/21
to ExI chat list, extro...@googlegroups.com
Just 'finished' this book by GReg Egan,  Content:  speculative fixed point topology, speculative nuclear physics, multiple universes, etc.

I estimate that I skipped about 85% of the book - a first for me.
Probably more like 90%

Hard?  Nope - adamantine.  Way, way over my head.  Characters aren't interesting either.  But I plugged away just to find out if I could understand any of it.  Maybe 5%.

bill w

Giulio Prisco

Mar 24, 2021, 1:34:27 PM3/24/21
to ExI chat list, extro...@googlegroups.com
Read it again, then again, and you’ll understand all. Great book. I love all of Egan’s works until Zendegi (included), the latest works not so much.

William Flynn Wallace

Mar 24, 2021, 2:13:00 PM3/24/21
to extro...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 12:34 PM Giulio Prisco <giu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Read it again, then again, and you’ll understand all. Great book. I love all of Egan’s works until Zendegi (included), the latest works not so much.

Giulio, I am saddened.  I did not realize that you had so much hostility towards me that you would recommend my reading it again.  If I read it again I would skip even more of it.  I had one semester of high school physics in 1959.  I know what a torus is - that's all the typology I know.  All those dimensions mean nothing to me.  bill w