.NET 5

JT

Jan 20, 2021, 12:01:23 PM1/20/21
to Excel-DNA

Hi Govert.

I've got a legacy system that's been running for nearly 8 years perfectly with a WCF server to excel client sessions using a DNA addin.

Looks like MS have killed off WCF and recommending gRPC, but that's only available in .NET core :( , so my client side won't work as no DNA core release (yet).

I noticed on another post you planned to do a .NET 5 DNA release some time & was just wondering what your timetable is for this ? Looks like .NET 6 is due Nov21.

Kind regards,

JT.

Govert van Drimmelen

Jan 20, 2021, 3:37:35 PM1/20/21
to exce...@googlegroups.com

Hi JT,

I am indeed working on a .NET 5+ port of Excel-DNA.

So far I’ve found it more frustrating than expected, but there are no showstoppers that I know at this point.

It’s still hard for me to tell whether there are major issues ahead.

I would hope to start testing with some test users in the next few months.

I haven’t seen anything major in the .NET 6 planning that affects the Excel-DNA support.

If this is very urgent or a high priority for you, you are welcome to contact me directly.

-Govert

Govert van Drimmelen

Jan 23, 2021, 7:27:51 AM1/23/21
to Excel-DNA
It looks like the original gRPC for C# library (https://github.com/grpc/grpc/tree/master/src/csharp) is supported under .NET Framewokr 4.5+, and should work fine in an Excel-DNA add-in today.

I think that's what you'll get with the "grpc" NuGet packge in a project that targets .NET Framework or .NET Standard 2.0.

-Govert

abdelali zahi

Mar 16, 2021, 5:02:45 AM3/16/21
to Excel-DNA
Hi Govert,

It is excellent news that you are already working on a .NET 5 port. Many many thanks for that. I would be very much willing to give it a try if you are looking for some early adopters.

Best from Germany,
Ali

Govert van Drimmelen

Mar 16, 2021, 5:18:03 AM3/16/21
to exce...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ali,

Could you explain a bit why you are eager to move to .NET 5?

Is it just that other projects are moving to .NET 5 or are there specific features you want to use in your Excel-DNA add-in?

abdelali zahi

Mar 16, 2021, 3:48:42 PM3/16/21
to Excel-DNA
I have been modernizing my codebases and moving to new language features (records, ranges, some fancy pattern matching ...) that are not available .NET framework. To be able to re-use my internal libraries between my addins and other consumers, I am forced to target .NET standard 2.0 which itself has limitations.

If Excel-Dna would move to .NET 5.0, I would be able to target new language features, and benefit from the perf improvements that came with Core 3.x and 5. I hope that helps and thank you again for the amazing work you have done.

Best,
Ali

Matthew Kolbe

Jan 7, 2022, 10:17:38 PM1/7/22
to Excel-DNA
Long time user here. I basically use Excel-DNA as a research platform for my math libraries. I've been forced to leave my code base in older versions of .NET than I'd like for a while because I wanted to continue using DNA, but I abandoned it today because the speedups I'm getting using Vector256 are too much to ignore, so I switched the rest of my code base to .NET 6. I assume more and more people will have the similar reasons to upgrade, and with that goes DNA.

Govert van Drimmelen

Jan 8, 2022, 1:09:31 AM1/8/22
to exce...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matthew,

We are currently working on support for Excel-DNA under .NET 6.

I’m not sure how close we are to a public test version, but it looks like it will work fine.

But you can see – and if you’re brave even try – the progress here: Commits · Excel-DNA/ExcelDna (github.com)

You can also support the Excel-DNA project by signing up as a GitHub sponsor: Sponsor @Excel-DNA on GitHub Sponsors

That helps fund the development work and encourages ongoing efforts to keep the project up-to-date.