Virus detected

Paul Kovacs

Dec 13, 2021, 4:14:23 PM12/13/21
to Excel-DNA
Hi. Do you have any idea about what we can do in order to not have this annoying situation : packed add-in is deleted over and over again, even by MS Defender.  2021-12-13 23_11_07-VirusTotal - File - a803e93af03850d9564cc0ba5f24375c52a352b13abaa210f35a14c6efb5.png

Thank you so much for your help.
PS: I tried with different versions - more or less all are the same, all have at least one file or antivirus that reports it as positive.

Govert van Drimmelen

Dec 13, 2021, 5:20:25 PM12/13/21
to exce...@googlegroups.com

Hi Paul,

This is indeed a frustration.

Are you seeing Microsoft Defender currently detecting a problem with the v1.5.0 or v1.5.1-rc3 versions of Excel-DNA?

If so, have you reported the false positive to Microsoft?

I see on your screenshot that Microsoft is not on the list of vendors flagging your file according to VirusTotal.

I have also noticed that the results on VirusTotal do not always match what I see on a machine running the particular anti-virus software.

For example, for Microsoft Defender, which is running on my PC, I have the opposite to what you see.

VirusTotal says (tested right now) that “Microsoft” detects a virus on a new packed add-in I made, but an up-to-date scan with Defender does not detect any problem.

What can be done?

  • If you or a client of yours believes that the anti-virus software you purchased (including the Defender component in Windows) is detecting a false positive, please report it to the vendor who sold you that software. From the experience of another user on this list, Microsoft has responded quickly and helpfully to such a report.
  • If you would like to see work done from the Excel-DNA side to make add-ins more anti-virus-resistant please consider entering into a corporate support agreement or sponsorship through GitHub sponsors (https://github.com/sponsors/Excel-DNA) and let me know that you would like us to prioritise such work.
  • Any other suggestions would be welcome too.

-Govert

Hi. Do you have any idea about what we can do in order to not have this annoying situation : packed add-in is deleted over and over again, even by MS Defender.

Thank you so much for your help.

PS: I tried with different versions - more or less all are the same, all have at least one file or antivirus that reports it as positive.

image001.png
image002.png

Gareth Hayter

Dec 20, 2021, 9:23:19 PM12/20/21
to Excel-DNA
Hi Guys

This is where we need to submit our files, to tell the Microsoft Defender that our files are false positives:

Hopefully if enough of us submit our files it will make a difference.

Good luck,
Gareth.