Peter Ewing (1840-1916)

Kristina Magill

Jun 14, 2020, 5:51:43 PM6/14/20
to Ewing Family Association
My ancestor Peter Ewing has always been a mystery to our family....Scotch-Irish or German?
Peter was born  Oct. 13, 1840  in  Ashland County, Ohio and died  May 6, 1916  in Clinton, Henry County, Missouri, USA.

We believe his father was James Ewing, ( Dec. 8, 1802  Bedford County  Pennsylvania, USA - Aug. 6, 1875  Hancock County  Ohio, USA) and his mother was Anna Maria Long (Apr. 19, 1801  Bedford County  Pennsylvania, USA- May 1, 1886  McComb  Hancock County  Ohio ).

Peter had many children with his first wife Jane Bennett (including William B, Lovina, Emily, Amanda, Samantha, Lewis, Loretta, Parlee, Celesta, Tuna and Birdie) and two with second wife Stella Lynch (Edwin and Suzanne).

My great grandfather William B. Ewing was born  Oct. 3, 1860  in McComb, Hancock County, Ohio and died Oct. 23, 1934 in  Los Angeles County,  California.

I hoping someone can help us solve the Ewing mystery
K Magill

Bruce Frobes

Jun 14, 2020, 6:45:40 PM6/14/20
to Kristina Magill, Ewing Family Association
Kristina,

I looked on Ancestry.com and the 1880 United States Federal Census records Peter Erving....but corrected as
Peter Ewing in Mingo, Bates, Missouri married to Jane. It records that his father and mother were born in Pennsylvania.

My family of Ewings and Armstrongs from Scotland and Ireland also found some German girls to marry in Pennsylvania.

Your name Tuna is listed as Patunia....age 4/12....just a baby.

Hope this is helpful.

Bruce Frobes
18606 Via Hermoa
Rio Verde, Arizona 85263

--
Visit our main EFA site at https://ewingfamilyassociation.org .
Peter Ewing Oct 13, 1840 died May 6, 1916.jpg

Jean Carter Wilson

Jun 14, 2020, 8:32:08 PM6/14/20
to Bruce Frobes, Kristina Magill, Ewing Family Association
So was this a “thing,” Scottish men marrying German women?  My ancestor John Boyd married Catherine Miller - or so we thought until Mom and I did some research and found out it had been changed from Mueller.  I have a slew of Orndorffs, Koenig, Scheerer, Wible etc.

I suspect you have a Scottish - German marriage there also Kristina…. We know Ewing is a Scottish line but Anna Maria sounds German to me.

Just curious. Hope all the cousins are well!  - Jean Wilson in Nashville

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ewingfamilyassociation/CAHqy4PjJRX%3DiifbQmw7A0QZL6MfQAPraY9TiJx9kJWyNY0uNpg%40mail.gmail.com.
<Peter Ewing Oct 13, 1840 died May 6, 1916.jpg>

Kristina Magill

Jun 14, 2020, 8:50:57 PM6/14/20
to Jean Carter Wilson, Bruce Frobes, Ewing Family Association
Thanks for the confirmation of the Scottish origin of Ewing.  And yes most of the men married women with German sounding names.
My Peter Ewing must have been quite a guy.  After he wore out jane Bennett he married Stella lynch who was 16 or so.  He was in his sixties. Stella divorced him after their second child and later married Mr Olsen and lived in monterey where I live now.

I have done my DNA and it’s on ancestry and gedmatch and MyHeritage.
Kristina Olson Magill

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 14, 2020, at 17:32, Jean Carter Wilson <gene...@jeandy.com> wrote:

So was this a “thing,” Scottish men marrying German women?  My ancestor John Boyd married Catherine Miller - or so we thought until Mom and I did some research and found out it had been changed from Mueller.  I have a slew of Orndorffs, Koenig, Scheerer, Wible etc.

David Ewing

Jun 14, 2020, 11:25:28 PM6/14/20
to Kristina Magill, Jean Carter Wilson, Bruce Frobes, Ewing Family Association
Remember that the Scots-Irish and Palatinate Germans were immigrating into Pennsylvania in reasonably large numbers during the fifty years or so prior to the Revolutionary War. Not infrequently the Scots-Irish would move into wilderness and clear areas for farms, but they didn't have good practices for maintaining the soil, wore it out fairly quickly, sold it to Germans and moved on further west. The Germans were better farmers and could farm the land in a sustained way. There was quite a lot of contact between the two groups. Maybe the surprising thing isn't that there was some intermarriage between these groups but rather that there wasn't more of it.

Jill Ewing Spitler's ancestor, James Ewing married Maria Sebina Shellenberger, seems to have integrated with the German community and their descendants married Germans to the extent that after a few generations they more or less were Germans, even though James Ewing's roots were Scots-Irish. Jill wrote an article a few years ago speculating about who his parents may have been, though I don't think she ever came up with a definitive answer. You can find the article on the EFA website at https://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org/documents/Spitler/WhoWasJames.html. Jill's brother participated in the Ewing Surname Y-DNA project and was definitely a part of the "large closely related group of Ewings," whose earliest ancestors definitely originated in Scotland.

Interestingly, here in Albuquerque there is a large Hispanic family of Ewings. A number of years ago I talked to their "granddad" (of course that is a moving target, no?), Robert Ewing, who told me that his father was Pablo Ewing and that his grandfather was a Charles Ewing, who he was pretty sure was German. I tried to encourage him to participate in the Ewing Surname Y-DNA project and think it is very likely that we would have discovered that in fact he is one of our cousins, but he was rather suspicious of a nosy and overly enthusiastic Anglo guy offering to straighten him out on his genealogy and he quit answering my calls. I also met two Mexican brothers from Tijuana named Ewing who could scarcely speak English, when they were working for a caterer in Albuquerque. They couldn't tell me anything to speak of about their Ewing ancestors.

I figure that the name originated in Scotland, all right enough, but it doesn't make any sense to insist on calling present day people with the name "Scottish." The brothers I met are Mexicans. The Hispanic Ewing family in Albuquerque are Americans. I'm a Ewing and all into Ewing genealogy, but the fact is that I have a fair amount more Swedish blood than Scottish (and an embarrassingly large amount of English blood), and it doesn't make any sense to call me anything but American...or maybe New Mexican. Just don't call me Texan.

David Neal Ewing
Albuquerque, New Mexico (It's not new and it's not Mexico!)

Karen Avery

Jun 15, 2020, 12:28:00 PM6/15/20
to ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com, Avery, Karen

The following is the Y-DNA page showing some of the men who descend from John S. Ewing (1762-1833) and Anna Maria Heichold  (1764-1835) who are the parents of James S. Ewing (1802-1875).

https://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org/DNA_data/Group1cRelationshipDiagram.pdf

Karen Avery

Jill Ewing Spitler

Jun 16, 2020, 11:36:18 PM6/16/20
to bkav...@comcast.net, ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com

I found all this very interesting and wish I could fine some real answers.  Thanks for including me.