Jackson county, Indiana

Douglas Eric Ewing

Mar 26, 2019, 11:58:09 PM3/26/19
to Ewing Family Association
Hi I am brand new to this group. I am part of Ewing’s of Inch Island. Anyway I am trying to link some of my known Ewing ancestors to other Ewing lines in Jackson county/Seymour/Vallonia and yes “Ewing, IN” areas

Any help appreciated

Maryann Ewing

Mar 27, 2019, 1:29:13 AM3/27/19
to Douglas Eric Ewing, Ewing Family Association
Dear Douglas,
My husbands family comes from Inch Island.
His family is from the Burt church area.
Sincerely,
Maryann

--
Visit our main EFA site at https://ewingfamilyassociation.org .

Douglas Eric Ewing

Mar 27, 2019, 10:44:41 AM3/27/19
to Ewing Family Association
I no doubt should be more specific.

If anyone has info on Ewing line of Columbus Ewing b. 1833. d.1915 married to Anna Pfeiffer b. 1830 d. 1928 buried in Vallonia, IN cemetery and associated ancestors and descendants. Columbus was son of Thomas Ewing and Elizabeth Hutchinson.

I am definitely associated (part of my Ewing line) in same Vallonia cemetery with Francis M. Ewing M.D. b.1846 d. 1901 married to Laura Virginia Craft and some of his descendants

I just am trying to see where these Ewing’s tie together if anyone knows

Thanks all,

Douglas Eric Ewing

Nov 9, 2019, 2:42:50 PM11/9/19
to Ewing Family Association
My essential question to anyone who knows is....what relationship is James Ewing of Inch to John Ewing of Carnshannaugh?
Thank you

7iron707

Nov 9, 2019, 3:46:36 PM11/9/19
to Ewing Family Association
Douglas ,

Are you the Eric Douglas Ewing in the Y DNA Project?....

Douglas Eric Ewing

Nov 9, 2019, 4:16:35 PM11/9/19
to Ewing Family Association
I am Douglas Eric Ewing b. 1959 and have not done any DNA testing.  Ironically there is a Douglas Alan Ewing of about the same age in Seymour, Indiana that I believe is likely descendant of John of Carnashannagh

What does the testing needed cost these days?

David Ewing

Nov 9, 2019, 4:16:38 PM11/9/19
to Douglas Eric Ewing, Ewing Family Association
Sure, Doug. Here are two answers, both correct.

1. No. Not exactly. But Inch and Carnashannagh are a short walk apart and the folks were both members of Burt Parish. Sometimes we see mention of John Ewing of Inch and we think he's probably the same guy as John Ewing of Carnashannagh. BTW, "Carnashannagh" means "Hill of the fox(es)" in Gaelic.

2. Yes, they are very closely related--probably cousins or uncle and nephew. We don't have contemporaneous records showing this but such records as there are and the DNA evidence all point this way.

David Neal Ewing

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 12:42 PM 'Douglas Eric Ewing' via Ewing Family Association <ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
My essential question to anyone who knows is....what relationship is James Ewing of Inch to John Ewing of Carnashannagh?
Thank you

--
Visit our main EFA site at https://ewingfamilyassociation.org .

David Ewing

Nov 9, 2019, 4:38:37 PM11/9/19
to Douglas Eric Ewing, Ewing Family Association
FTDNA has a sale on until 11/28. The Y-DNA37 test costs $99 and will show whether you are in the "large closely related group of Ewings" (including the families of James of Inch, John of Carnashannagh and many others) but probably won't be too helpful in identifying the specific branch. The definitive test that would be most helpful for members of the large closely related group is the BigY700, which costs $399 during the sale.

--
Visit our main EFA site at https://ewingfamilyassociation.org .

T Melton

Jan 14, 2021, 11:28:24 AM1/14/21
to Ewing Family Association
Daniel,
I joined the group to answer your question or at least have a conversation about the Ewings from Jackson Co Indiana. Please answer back so I know this address still works and that you are still needing info. Thank you Teresa Melton

Steve Ewing

Jan 14, 2021, 11:55:01 AM1/14/21
to T Melton, Ewing Family Association
Teresa, Site still works but I'm a Massachusetts Ewing so I'm not the one you're looking for. Someone will pop up soon. All the best, Steve C. Ewing

Visit our main EFA site at https://ewingfamilyassociation.org .

Steven C. Ewing
53 South Sixteenth Street
Edgartown, MA 02539

T Melton

Jan 14, 2021, 1:18:39 PM1/14/21
to Ewing Family Association

T Melton
11:28 AM (2 hours ago)

Daniel Eric Ewing,
I joined the group to answer your question or at least have a conversation about the Ewings from Jackson Co Indiana. Please answer back so I know this address still works and that you are still needing info. Thank you Teresa Melton

DG Ewing

Jan 14, 2021, 4:47:17 PM1/14/21
to Steve Ewing, T Melton, Ewing Family Association
Hi T Milton,

I will forward to our genealogist

And will follow up when I return home

DG Ewing

Sent from my iPad

Maryann Ewing

Jan 14, 2021, 5:46:56 PM1/14/21
to DG Ewing, Steve Ewing, T Melton, Ewing Family Association
Dear All,
I am not sure how we share information that we have gathered about our families?
Is there a central depository of our information?
My Husband's Ewing line comes from Inch Island in Ireland and they are from the Burt Church area. HIs family moved from Philadelphia to Cecil County Maryland and then to Columbiana County Ohio.
My Ewing side comes from Stirling Castle.My Ewing side came in through Philadelphia and settled in the Fort Chiswell area of Virginia and then helped to found Nashville TN.
There are many stories and connections that we have made that would probably be interesting to others searching their heritage.

Sincerely yours,
Maryann Ewing

David Ewing

Jan 14, 2021, 6:01:33 PM1/14/21
to Maryann Ewing, DG Ewing, Steve Ewing, T Melton, Ewing Family Association
Hi, Maryann. One good way to share information is to write an article or articles about your branch of the family for publication in the Ewing Family Journal. These eventually get posted to the EFA website in a searchable form. Indeed, there uld you will find an awful lot of information about the Ewings that participated in founding Nashville, and about the Ewings of Burt Congregation and Inch Island.

It also might be interesting and perhaps helpful to you and Ewing research in general if your husband would participate in the Ewing Surname Y-DNA project, especially if he would get the Big-Y. That would be a valuable contribution to Ewing research for years to come.

For people who have large collections of source materials and artifacts they would like to see preserved for posterity, the Allen County Public Library in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, has begun a Ewing collection that is stored in archival conditions and already have the research materials of many prominent Ewing researchers. Their plan is to eventually digitize at least some of these materials, but that is an enormous project.

David Neal Ewing
Albuquerque

T Melton

Jan 14, 2021, 6:44:32 PM1/14/21
to Ewing Family Association
Ok thank you.

DG Ewing

Jan 15, 2021, 2:28:09 AM1/15/21
to DG Ewing, Steve Ewing, T Melton, Ewing Family Association
Sorry T Milton, I was confused , I thought that the notice that I was responding to was from our Facebook group.  But this is obviously the Google group.  I should stop using my iPad to interpret source.

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 14, 2021, at 3:47 PM, DG Ewing <D...@dgewing.com> wrote:

 Hi T Milton,

Betty J. Durbin Carson

Jan 15, 2021, 11:42:32 AM1/15/21
to Ewing Family Association
Your Ewing line goes back to John Ewing of Carnashansaugh born 1648 in Carnashansaugh, Parish of Fahan, Coumty of Donegal, Ireland; married Jennet (Jannet) Wilson in 1685, married Jennet McElvaney (McIlvenny) 4 Sep 1704 in the Burt Congregational Presbyterian Church, Ireland.  Knighted by King William in 1690.  Called John Ewing, "Burgess of Londonderry."  References:  Ewing in Early America, Margaret Ewing Fife and Our Ewing Heritage with Related Families, Betty Jewell Durbin Carson (me) and sister Doris May Durbin Wooley.
On Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 11:58:09 PM UTC-4 Douglas Eric Ewing wrote:
Message has been deleted

T Melton

Jan 18, 2021, 10:18:32 AM1/18/21
to Ewing Family Association
Douglas Eric Ewing are you still a Member of this forum?

Betty J. Durbin Carson

Jan 18, 2021, 7:31:26 PM1/18/21
to Ewing Family Association
Yes.