The Self

Philip Thrift

Dec 31, 2019, 3:06:39 PM12/31/19
to Everything List

In the 1990s many analytic philosophers were inclined to deny that the expression ‘the self’ referred to anything at all. Others said that its meaning was too unclear for it to be used in worthwhile philosophical discussion. A third group thought that the only legitimate use of ‘I’ and ‘the self’ was its use to refer to the human being considered as a whole. This paper rejects these views. It makes a proposal about how to endow ‘the self’ with sufficiently clear meaning without taking it to refer to the whole human being. One needs to begin with phenomenology, with self-experience, with the experience of there being such a thing as the self. One can then approach the questions about metaphysics of the self—questions about the existence and nature of the self—in the light of the discussion of the phenomenology of the self.

Genuine, realistic materialism requires acknowledgement that the phenomena of conscious experience are, considered specifically as such, wholly physical, as physical as the phenomena of extension and electricity as studied by physics. This in turn requires the acknowledgement that current physics, considered as a general account of the nature of the physical, is like Hamlet without the prince, or at least like Othello without Desdemona. No one who doubts this is a serious materialist, as far as I can see. Anyone who has had a standard modern (Western) education is likely to experience a feeling of deep bewilderment—category-blasting amazement—when entering into serious materialism, and considering the question ‘What is the nature of the physical?’ in the context of the thought that the mental (and in particular the experiential) is physical; followed, perhaps, by a deep, pragmatic agnosticism.

Even if we grant that there is a phenomenon that is reasonably picked out by the phrase ‘mental self’, why should we accept that the right thing to say about some two-second-long mental-self phenomenon is (a) that it is a thing or object like a rock or a tiger? Why can’t we insist that the right thing to say is simply (b) that an enduring (‘physical’) object—Louis—has a certain property, or (c) that a two-second mental-self phenomenon is just a matter of a certain process occurring in an object—so that it is not itself a distinct object existing for two seconds?

I think that a proper understanding of materialism strips (b) and (c) of any appearance of superiority to (a). As for (c): any claim to the effect that a mental self is best thought
of as a process rather than an object can be countered by saying that there is no sense in which a mental self is a process in which a rock is not also and equally a process. So if a rock is a paradigm case of a thing in spite of being a process, we have no good reason not to say the same of a mental self.

But if there is a process, there must be something—an object or substance—in which it goes on. If something happens, there must be something to which it happens, something which is not just the happening itself. This expresses our ordinary understanding of things, but physicists are increasingly content with the view that physical reality is itself a kind of pure process—even if it remains hard to know exactly what this idea amounts to. The view that there is some ultimate stuff to which things happen has increasingly ceded to the idea that the existence of anything worthy of the name ‘ultimate stuff’ consists in the existence of fields of energy — consists, in other words, in the existence of a kind of pure process which is not usefully thought of as something which is happening to a thing distinct from it.

As for (b): the object/property distinction is, as Russell says of the standard distinction between mental and physical, ‘superficial and unreal’ (1927: 402). Chronic philosophical difficulties with the question of how to express the relation between substance and property provide strong negative support for this view. However ineluctable it is for us, it seems that the distinction must be as superficial as we must take the distinction between the wavelike nature and particlelike nature of fundamental particles to be.

Obviously more needs to be said, but Kant seems to have got it exactly right in a single clause: ‘in their relation to substance, [accidents] are not in fact subordinated to it, but are the manner of existence of the substance itself’.

 ----------

@philipthrift

Brent Meeker

Dec 31, 2019, 6:25:38 PM12/31/19
to everyth...@googlegroups.com

On 12/31/2019 12:06 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

[...]

This is specious and disingenuous.  It's another version of the rock that computes everything and Strawson must know better.

[...]

And Russell proposed neutral monism in which the world consists of events which can be ordered into either the mental life of persons (and animals) or ordered into physical evolutions, i.e. world lines.  Matter would a subset of the physical orderings.  It wouldn't be the fundamental ontology and so the "neutral" in "neutral monism" meant it was neither mentalism nor materialism.

Brent

Chronic philosophical difficulties with the question of how to express the relation between substance and property provide strong negative support for this view. However ineluctable it is for us, it seems that the distinction must be as superficial as we must take the distinction between the wavelike nature and particlelike nature of fundamental particles to be.

Obviously more needs to be said, but Kant seems to have got it exactly right in a single clause: ‘in their relation to substance, [accidents] are not in fact subordinated to it, but are the manner of existence of the substance itself’.

Philip Thrift

Dec 31, 2019, 7:37:49 PM12/31/19
to Everything List
I talk about the dialectics of language and matter - but still matter is everything there is, or in the terms it's expressed in Wikipedia in [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism ]  ...

but neutral monismhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_monism ] (however it's presented) has always seemed like complete hogwash to me.

Happy New Year!

@philipthrift

Brent Meeker

Dec 31, 2019, 7:58:45 PM12/31/19
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
A strongly worded opinion...but not a reason.

Brent

Philip Thrift

Jan 1, 2020, 3:30:27 AM1/1/20
to Everything List
As you have seen, I've been writing on this on Vic's blog and its continuation for 20 years.

(If you were paying attention.)

There is no such thing as mind (in the way* it is represented in neutral dualism) - just as Rorty wrote in "Persons Without Minds" in Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature. You must have read that chapter by now. There is only physical reality - no alternative, separate, mental reality - just in the way Strawson writes.

You've seen me refer to that Rorty chapter for 20 years now. (If you were paying attention.)

I don't know what more you want to convince you that neural monism is woo woo.

* Neutral monism is a monistic metaphysics. It holds that ultimate reality is all of one kind. To this extent neutral monism is in agreement with the more familiar versions of monism: idealism and materialism. What distinguishes neutral monism from its monistic rivals is the claim that the intrinsic nature of ultimate reality is neither mental nor physical. This negative claim also captures the idea of neutrality: being intrinsically neither mental nor physical in nature ultimate reality is said to be neutral between the two.

@philipthfit

Philip Thrift

Jan 1, 2020, 5:51:00 AM1/1/20
to Everything List
Where to people get the idea that there are any non-material things? It's baffled me to see that people believe in that all my life (or since high school days anyway). It's just plain weird.

I guess I will go through 2020 seeing more of that kind of thing.

@philipthrift

Brent Meeker

Jan 1, 2020, 2:59:03 PM1/1/20
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
No, I haven't.  Perhaps you can make the relevant argument?

There is only physical reality - no alternative, separate, mental reality - just in the way Strawson writes.

Assertion is not an argument.  Conscious thoughts seem to me to be the only thing immediately known.  The physical world is an inference, a theoretical model.  Which is not to say it's separate; but which it takes some explanation to unify with the world of consciousness.  Is Rorty an advocate of protopanpsychism?

You've seen me refer to that Rorty chapter for 20 years now. (If you were paying attention.)

I guess I wasn't paying attention.

I don't know what more you want to convince you that neural monism is woo woo.

More?  You haven't presented anything except mockery and assertion.

* Neutral monism is a monistic metaphysics. It holds that ultimate reality is all of one kind. To this extent neutral monism is in agreement with the more familiar versions of monism: idealism and materialism. What distinguishes neutral monism from its monistic rivals is the claim that the intrinsic nature of ultimate reality is neither mental nor physical. This negative claim also captures the idea of neutrality: being intrinsically neither mental nor physical in nature ultimate reality is said to be neutral between the two.

Why are you quoting that?  Why not quote Rorty or whatever you say makes neutral-monism "woo-woo".

Brent

Brent Meeker

Jan 1, 2020, 8:14:15 PM1/1/20
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps it's because there are predicates and relations of material things.

Brent

I guess I will go through 2020 seeing more of that kind of thing.

@philipthrift

Philip Thrift

Jan 2, 2020, 6:39:41 AM1/2/20
to Everything List
To me - and I think this is consistent with other neopramatists  [ Richard Rorty, etc. "drawing inspiration from John Dewey, Martin Heidegger, Wilfrid Sellars, W. V. O. Quine, Jacques Derrida" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopragmatism ], predicates and relations are (just) linguistic entities that appear in sentences. They are - as written sequences of letters (like you are looking at right now on a laptop or smartphone, which are probably just electronic dots on a screen of pixels, so 100% material) when combined - become operators to be used in the language 'game'.

@philipthrift

Bruno Marchal

Jan 6, 2020, 6:03:46 AM1/6/20
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Materialism and Mechanism are logically incompatible. You don’t need the Movie-Graph Argument to understand this. If matter plays a role in consciousness, it has to have a non computable and non first person recoverable role, and mechanism has to be false, but there are no evidence for that. On the contrary the quantum weirdness, and consciousness/matter relations are well explained by mechanism, at least until now. That would not be the case if physics was still Newtonian.
The universal machine has to self (or even 8) well described by the Theaetetus’ variant (the difference between provable(p) and (provable(p) and p). The first one is nameable, the second one is not.

Without any evidence, it is premature to commit oneself into an ontology.

Bruno

Bruno Marchal

Jan 6, 2020, 6:07:38 AM1/6/20
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year!

Mechanism leads to a transparent neutral monism. What is real are the numbers or the “numbers” (i.e. the object intended by the terms of any Turing-complete theory without induction axioms).

To assume more makes the appearances of matter incomprehensible in the frame of Mechanism, and pseudo-religious in the non-mechanist frame (by lack of evidences).

Bruno

@philipthrift

Bruno Marchal

Jan 6, 2020, 6:12:51 AM1/6/20
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
They have a lot of examples, like numbers, game, love, emotion, consciousness, etc.

It's baffled me to see that people believe in that all my life (or since high school days anyway). It's just plain weird.

Why to believe in PRIMARY material thing when we have no evidence at all, except for knowing the tables, which is a dream able events, and given that all dreams are emulated in any (mathematical) Turing-complete reality ...

I guess I will go through 2020 seeing more of that kind of thing.

I hope so!

Bruno

@philipthrift

Bruno Marchal

Jan 6, 2020, 6:20:17 AM1/6/20
On 2 Jan 2020, at 12:39, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 7:14:15 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

On 1/1/2020 2:50 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:

Where to people get the idea that there are any non-material things? It's baffled me to see that people believe in that all my life (or since high school days anyway). It's just plain weird.

Perhaps it's because there are predicates and relations of material things.

Brent

To me - and I think this is consistent with other neopramatists  [ Richard Rorty, etc. "drawing inspiration from John Dewey, Martin Heidegger, Wilfrid Sellars, W. V. O. Quine, Jacques Derrida" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopragmatism ], predicates and relations are (just) linguistic entities that appear in sentences.

This is an example of the confusion between the fact that 2+2=4 and the sentence “2+2=4”. The difference here is as big as the difference between Hubble and a far away galaxy, or between a brain and a thought.

They are - as written sequences of letters (like you are looking at right now on a laptop or smartphone, which are probably just electronic dots on a screen of pixels, so 100% material) when combined - become operators to be used in the language 'game’.

Ostensive pointing is dream able, and as such cannot be used as a logical argument in favour of any ontology. That is also why the mystic machine remains mute on this. We just cannot take a primary physical reality for granted if we do metaphysics with the scientific attitude. We have to start from the simpler theory, and add axioms only if needed, as a last resort.

Bruno

@philipthrift

Philip Thrift

Jan 6, 2020, 7:01:27 AM1/6/20
to Everything List

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 5:03:46 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Materialism and Mechanism are logically incompatible. You don’t need the Movie-Graph Argument to understand this. If matter plays a role in consciousness, it has to have a non computable and non first person recoverable role, and mechanism has to be false, but there are no evidence for that. On the contrary the quantum weirdness, and consciousness/matter relations are well explained by mechanism, at least until now. That would not be the case if physics was still Newtonian.
The universal machine has to self (or even 8) well described by the Theaetetus’ variant (the difference between provable(p) and (provable(p) and p). The first one is nameable, the second one is not.

Without any evidence, it is premature to commit oneself into an ontology.

Bruno

If you take what Strawson says seriously - as he says, "physics grows stranger by the hour" - then the language (ontology) of physics (as of January 6, 2020) is incomplete: There are more beasts in the particle zoo [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_zoo ].

So like there's the WIMP and GIMP, there's the

CHIMP

      consciousness hyper-intrinsic massless particle

@philipthrift

Philip Thrift

Jan 6, 2020, 7:24:12 AM1/6/20
to Everything List

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 5:12:51 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 1 Jan 2020, at 11:50, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where to people get the idea that there are any non-material things?

They have a lot of examples, like numbers, game, love, emotion, consciousness, etc.

Bruno

 W.H. Auden wrote "Love like Matter is much odder than we thought."

Numbers as non-material beings I've always imagined as the beings worshiped by mystical Pythagoreans.

@philipthrift

Brent Meeker

Jan 6, 2020, 2:54:22 PM1/6/20

On 1/6/2020 3:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> Ostensive pointing is dream able, and as such cannot be used as a
> logical argument in favour of any ontology.

Everything is dreamable, including numbers, so that cannot be an
argument against ostensive pointing.  The fallacy is you assume only
logic can provide evidence.  Experience is also evidence, even dream
experience.  If you dream of something, that something will be based on
your experience and biology.

Brent