Alert request

lawquest

Apr 21, 2019, 6:05:16 PM4/21/19
to Event and Task Manager
Alert's work wonderfully on 3.2.31 with one exception:  they don't tell you what you are supposed to be doing.  This is no big deal on regular days but sometimes more info would be helpful.

Example. I have a 7:45 am appointment tomorrow morning.  It is too early for staff to remind me, so I set the alert at 1 day and another at 30 minutes.  ETM dutifully shows the alert today but I have nothing on the calendar today.  So I have a brief, controlled panic - until I check tomorrow's ETM.

John

Dan

Apr 21, 2019, 9:38:51 PM4/21/19
to Event and Task Manager
What is the alert command that you are triggering? In my etm.cfg, for example, I have:

alert_displaycmd: "/usr/local/bin/growlnotify -t !summary! -m '!time_span!'"

This displays the item summary and the time span in the alert so you know exactly what you're being reminded about. The expansions !summary! and !time_span! are discussed in the manual under Preferences/template expansions - around page 43 in the pdf version of the manual.

lawquest

May 11, 2019, 11:20:23 AM5/11/19
to Event and Task Manager
Mine says:

alert_displaycmd: kdialog --msgbox "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ ETM ALERT!!!!"

This shows through no matter what I am doing.

I tried your suggestion and it either doesn't work on my system or doesn't show through whatever I have loaded.

John

Daniel Graham

May 11, 2019, 11:23:45 AM5/11/19
to 'stef' via Event and Task Manager
Replace your:

alert_displaycmd: kdialog --msgbox "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ ETM ALERT!!!!"

with

alert_displaycmd: kdialog --msgbox “!summary!”

and don’t forget the exclamation marks on both sides of summary.

— Dan

lawquest

May 22, 2019, 11:41:38 AM5/22/19
to Event and Task Manager
alert_default: d
alert_displaycmd: kdialog --msgbox “!summary!”
alert_soundcmd: play ~/.etm/sounds/tapping.wav
alert_template: '!time_span!

works, but etm freezes when the alert sounds on following alert:

* care package to aaron white @s 2019-05-22 8:30am @a 15m, 10m, 5m, 1m: d
  @z US/Pacific

Just shows "care" and freezes.  I am still using debian stretch.  I will look into it more this weekend. I may not have tapping.wav.  However, only change I made was to second line alert_displaycmd: kdialog --msgbox “!summary!” and it did not used to freeze.

John

John

lawquest

May 22, 2019, 11:43:57 AM5/22/19
to Event and Task Manager
PS I am still using old etm (3.2.31)

Daniel Graham

May 22, 2019, 1:37:52 PM5/22/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
In both versions of elm, the shell is used to run your alert commands. Try them in a terminal,  e.g.,

$ play ~/.etm/sounds/tapping.wav

If the command doesn't work in a terminal, it won't work in etm.

-- Dan

lawquest

May 23, 2019, 12:59:58 AM5/23/19
to Event and Task Manager
$ play ~/.etm/sounds/tapping.wav worked, though, thank God, it doesn't play when an ETM alert goes off.  I get a nice little ding, like the plucking of a guitar string and I like that just fine.

And, I am happy to report that
alert_displaycmd: kdialog --msgbox “!summary!”
now works too!

What I did originally was, if I recall, simply copy your code from this google groups site into my etmtk.cfg.  Tonight, I typed the ! and the " from my machine and that did the trick.  Apparently etm needed my fonts or some such,  I sometimes have that trouble with quotation marks.

So, as usual, thanks and thanks again for a wonderful program. I will try the new ETM soon as time permits.

John
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to eventandtaskmanager+unsub...@googlegroups.com.