saving event in next month

lawquest

Nov 16, 2019, 3:22:21 PM11/16/19
to Event and Task Manager
Problems here:  If I follow the video, etm4 saves find. I can put in tomorrow (sun) as well and it saves fine.  But if I change the date from Nov to Dec it blows up and I get a dateutil error (unknown time zone).

In addition, the GUI is messed up when I try to set a date in December.

I checked the dependencies and I have all except:

pendulum
pytz
style
tinydb (but has tiny.css)
update (but has update-inetd)

I am using the konsole terminal in debian buster.

John

Daniel Graham

Nov 16, 2019, 4:00:39 PM11/16/19
to 'stef' via Event and Task Manager
Did you install with pip3? If so you should have all the dependencies. It won’t run without the packages you say are missing.

When you say “saves fine”, do you mean that you used “Ctrl-S” to save the item and close the editor? When you say “change the date from Nov to Dec”, have you reopened the item for editing using “E”. "Blows up” is also difficult to understand. Ditto “GUI is messed up”.

I will be away for the rest of the weekend - I was just going out the door when your email arrived - so it will be Monday at least before I can respond to any further emails.

-- Dan

lawquest

Nov 16, 2019, 4:59:38 PM11/16/19
to Event and Task Manager

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 1:00:39 PM UTC-8, Dan wrote:
Did you install with pip3?
Yes.  It would not install with just pip.
If so you should have all the dependencies. It won’t run without the packages you say are missing.

When you say “saves fine”, do you mean that you used “Ctrl-S” to save the item and close the editor?
Yes, but same thing happens when I close from the menu.
When you say “change the date from Nov to Dec”, have you reopened the item for editing using “E”.
Yes.  Doesn't help whether I do a new entry or edit an existing one.  I can't add a date in December and save it no matter what I do.  Will only save November dates.

"Blows up” is also difficult to understand. Ditto “GUI is messed up”.  Menu at top of screen is not readable...covered with other text, for example "etmn Nov Editor".  But it still works if I click on where it should be.

I will be away for the rest of the weekend - I was just going out the door when your email arrived - so it will be Monday at least before I can respond to any further emails.

No problem. I won't be able to turn to this again either, at least until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

Have a great weekend.

John

-- Dan

On Nov 16, 2019, at 3:22 PM, lawquest <jo...@lawquest.com> wrote:

Problems here:  If I follow the video, etm4 saves find. I can put in tomorrow (sun) as well and it saves fine.  But if I change the date from Nov to Dec it blows up and I get a dateutil error (unknown time zone).

In addition, the GUI is messed up when I try to set a date in December.

I checked the dependencies and I have all except:

pendulum
pytz
style
tinydb (but has tiny.css)
update (but has update-inetd)

I am using the konsole terminal in debian buster.

John

lawquest

Nov 16, 2019, 5:04:17 PM11/16/19
to Event and Task Manager
I just attempted to reinstall.  Here is the log, in case if might assist.

johwhi@johwhi:~$ pip3 install etm-dgraham
Requirement already satisfied: etm-dgraham in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages
(4.0.0b4)
Requirement already satisfied: ruamel.yaml>=0.15.88 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site
-packages (from etm-dgraham) (0.16.5)
Requirement already satisfied: six>=1.11.0 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from
etm-dgraham) (1.12.0)
Requirement already satisfied: wcwidth>=0.1.7 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packa
ges (from etm-dgraham) (0.1.7)
Requirement already satisfied: tzlocal>=1.5.1 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packa
ges (from etm-dgraham) (2.0.0)
Requirement already satisfied: tinydb>=3.12.2 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packa
ges (from etm-dgraham) (3.15.1)
Requirement already satisfied: pytzdata>=2018.9 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-pac
kages (from etm-dgraham) (2019.3)
Requirement already satisfied: python-dateutil>=2.7.3 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-pac
kages (from etm-dgraham) (2.7.3)
Requirement already satisfied: icalendar>=4.0.3 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages
(from etm-dgraham) (4.0.3)
Requirement already satisfied: style>=1.1.0 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-package
s (from etm-dgraham) (1.1.6)
Requirement already satisfied: prompt-toolkit>=2.0.9 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/sit
e-packages (from etm-dgraham) (2.0.10)
Requirement already satisfied: tinydb-serialization>=1.0.4 in ./.local/lib/python3
.7/site-packages (from etm-dgraham) (1.0.4)
Requirement already satisfied: Jinja2>=2.10 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-package
s (from etm-dgraham) (2.10.3)
Requirement already satisfied: update>=0.0.1 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packag
es (from etm-dgraham) (0.0.1)
Requirement already satisfied: pyperclip>=1.7.0 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-pac
kages (from etm-dgraham) (1.7.0)
Requirement already satisfied: pendulum>=2.0.4 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-pack
ages (from etm-dgraham) (2.0.5)
Requirement already satisfied: ujson>=1.35 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages
(from etm-dgraham) (1.35)
Requirement already satisfied: tinydb-smartcache>=1.0.2 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/
site-packages (from etm-dgraham) (1.0.2)
Requirement already satisfied: MarkupSafe>=1.1.0 in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-pa
ckages (from etm-dgraham) (1.1.1)
Requirement already satisfied: pytz>=2018.9 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (fro
m etm-dgraham) (2019.1)
Requirement already satisfied: ruamel.yaml.clib>=0.1.2; platform_python_implementa
tion == "CPython" and python_version < "3.8" in ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packag
es (from ruamel.yaml>=0.15.88->etm-dgraham) (0.2.0)
johwhi@johwhi:~$

lawquest

Nov 21, 2019, 1:57:59 PM11/21/19
to Event and Task Manager
On off chance it helps, here is a screenshot of what happens when I attempt to add an event. It works fine when I put in the event and the hour, but when I attempt to type Dec, it fails as shown.

John
Screenshot_2019-dan.png

Daniel Graham

Nov 21, 2019, 2:10:03 PM11/21/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
This helps - I’ll work on it.

-- Dan

On Nov 21, 2019, at 1:57 PM, lawquest <jo...@lawquest.com> wrote:

On off chance it helps, here is a screenshot of what happens when I attempt to add an event. It works fine when I put in the event and the hour, but when I attempt to type Dec, it fails as shown.

John

<Screenshot_2019-dan.png>

Dan

Nov 22, 2019, 10:29:52 AM11/22/19
to Event and Task Manager
Try 4.0.0b6 which is available now on PyPi and can be installed using pip.

This was a funny bug. The dateutil parser interpreted the "D" in "8:30a D" as an invalid timezone and, rather than raising an exception as might be expected and would have been caught, instead issued a warning which was not caught and thus printed to the screen messing up the display. Interestingly, if you had instead used a lower case "d" there would have been no problem. I always enter dates using lower case letters and thus never ran across the problem. In any event, 4.0.0b6 catches the warning and handles it appropriately.

- Dan

lawquest

Nov 22, 2019, 11:32:54 AM11/22/19
to Event and Task Manager
Thanks Dan.

I am not too sure how to install 4.0.0b6 using pip3 and will turn to that task soon.

John

Daniel Graham

Nov 22, 2019, 11:33:45 AM11/22/19
to 'stef' via Event and Task Manager
$ pip3 install -U etm-dgraham

-- Dan

lawquest

Nov 22, 2019, 7:35:48 PM11/22/19
to Event and Task Manager
Thanks!  Worked perfectly.

Now I suppose I need to read up on etm4, as I don't see the item.  Event was accepted, I did cntrl-2 to save it, but nothing happened.  Tried it again, this time saving from the menu, and same thing (don't see the December 6 entry in any view).  Here is the entry:  $ * Dr. Smith @s 8:30a Dec 6 @e 60m

When I go to agenda view, etm4 says "Nothing scheduled"

John

On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 8:33:45 AM UTC-8, Dan wrote:
$ pip3 install -U etm-dgraham

-- Dan

On Nov 22, 2019, at 11:32 AM, lawquest <jo...@lawquest.com> wrote:

Thanks Dan.

I am not too sure how to install 4.0.0b6 using pip3 and will turn to that task soon.

John

lawquest

Nov 23, 2019, 12:21:50 AM11/23/19
to Event and Task Manager
I am obviously missing something about etm4.  For example, if I use "g" and go to Dec 6, I see all the events I entered for that date.  I just don't see them in agenda view. In old etm I almost always use monthly view but don't see such a view in etm4.

In agenda view I see the November entries, but not the December or January 2020 events.

John

Daniel Graham

Nov 23, 2019, 9:22:17 AM11/23/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
Agenda view only shows entries for a single week at a time - the week listed at the top of the screen. Pressing “g” and entering "Dec 6” just shows the week that contains Dec 6 - it’s still Agenda view. If you don’t seen any entries in a particular week, it’s because you don’t have any entries for that week, in which case Agenda view displays “nothing scheduled”.

You can also use the cursor keys to move from week to week. The left and right cursor keys take you to the previous and subsequent weeks, respectively, and pressing the space bar takes you back to the current week. Press F1 and look at the view menu to see these motion shortcuts.

-- Dan

lawquest

Nov 23, 2019, 11:19:37 AM11/23/19
to Event and Task Manager
I see.  I will give it a try, but right now, at least, I sure miss being able to see a month at a time.

John

Daniel Graham

Nov 23, 2019, 11:21:54 AM11/23/19
to 'stef' via Event and Task Manager
etm3 may be the one for you.

-- Dan

lawquest

Nov 23, 2019, 12:33:40 PM11/23/19
to Event and Task Manager
I think etm3 is what I have been using and it is very good.  But I don't think my old friend Dan would have made etm4 unless he thought etm3 could be improved, so I will see if I get the hang of etm4 as time permits.  I will be especially interested in seeing how etm4 deals with handling my logged time at the end of each month. As you may recall, I have that down pat with etm3, a major improvement in this lawfirm. Meanwhile, I hope I am up to logging events and time spent in both programs. I am hopeful as well that the learning curve for etm4 is easier for my staff.

John

-- Dan

Daniel Graham

Nov 23, 2019, 1:38:05 PM11/23/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
John,

One of the main points of etm4 is to improve time spent accounting. I’m working on the documentation now but here are the main points you will need to consider.

  • There is no longer a special “action" item type for recording time spent.
  • Instead one or more “used time” entries can be added to any item (event, task or record) using entries which have the format "@u <time spent>: <ending datetime>". E.g., "@u 1h38m: 2019-11-21 10:15am” would indicate that a period of 1 hour and 38 minutes ending at 10:15am on Nov 21 was spent.
  • The accounting applied to the @u entry is based on the item’s “@i” entry which has the format “@i <level 1>:<level 2>…”. E.g., “@i Joe Doaks:purchase agreement” would charge the @u entries in the item first to “Joe Doaks” and then to “purchase agreement.

  • There is an automated workflow based on “timers” to automate creating these entries.
    • Select/create the relevant item (event/task/record)
    • Press “t” to start a timer for the item
    • Press “t” to pause or restart an active timer
    • Press “T” to record the used time and close the timer

Here is an example event with two @u entries

* used time test @s Nov 23 2pm @e 45m @i Joe Doaks:purchase agreement
  @u 1h38m: 2019-11-21 10:26am @u 32m: 2019-11-22 1:18pm

With this entry, pressing “u” to activate the “used time” view for the current month would produce

November 2019
  Nov 21
    * used time test @i Joe Doaks:purchase agr   1h38m
  Nov 22
    * used time test @i Joe Doaks:purchase agr    32m

and pressing “U” to activate the “Used time summary” view would produce

November 2019                                    2h10m
    * Joe Doaks                                  2h10m
        - purchase agreement                     2h10m
            + Nov 21                             1h38m
            + Nov 22                              32m

For your purposes, “U”, used time summary, will likely be the most useful. With @i entries of the form @i client:job name, the aggregation would be by month, then client and finally job name. Note that @i, “index entries" must be used to produce this breakdown and that this view replaces the old “custom view”.

You can press “Ctrl-C” with the used time summary active to copy the report to your system clipboard.

-- Dan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eventandtaskmanager/0f6db3e8-3193-43d4-a9ae-ddb1f21bf918%40googlegroups.com.

lawquest

Nov 23, 2019, 1:53:03 PM11/23/19
to Event and Task Manager
Thanks much!  I will need some time to digest this.

John