bottom window won't accept intended input

lawquest

Nov 11, 2019, 2:04:02 PM11/11/19
to Event and Task Manager
When I run the new etm and follow your video for adding a new event, I can't input anything into the bottom wiindow. When I click on create new item in editor I get three screens.  Top screen says nothing (I haven't inputted anything), middle screen says, below date and time, "summary" and below that "brief item description".  Bottom screen says nothing. When I add a * , whatever event I type shows in the middle screen. @s brings up the date info in the middle screen only. When I try to go further, I get a UnknownTimezoneWarning in the bottom screen.

John

Daniel Graham

Nov 11, 2019, 2:54:13 PM11/11/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 11, 2019, at 2:04 PM, lawquest <jo...@lawquest.com> wrote:

When I run the new etm and follow your video for adding a new event, I can't input anything into the bottom wiindow. When I click on create new item in editor I get three screens.  Top screen says nothing (I haven't inputted anything), middle screen says, below date and time, "summary" and below that "brief item description".  Bottom screen says nothing. When I add a * , whatever event I type shows in the middle screen. @s brings up the date info in the middle screen only. When I try to go further, I get a UnknownTimezoneWarning in the bottom screen.

John

lawquest

Nov 11, 2019, 4:02:00 PM11/11/19
to Event and Task Manager
Yes.  When I couldn't follow along with the video, I emailed you.  The utube shows stuff you type in the bottom window, a feat I cannot duplicate.

John

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 11:54:13 AM UTC-8, Dan wrote:
On Nov 11, 2019, at 2:04 PM, lawquest <jo...@lawquest.com> wrote:

When I run the new etm and follow your video for adding a new event, I can't input anything into the bottom wiindow. When I click on create new item in editor I get three screens.  Top screen says nothing (I haven't inputted anything), middle screen says, below date and time, "summary" and below that "brief item description".  Bottom screen says nothing. When I add a * , whatever event I type shows in the middle screen. @s brings up the date info in the middle screen only. When I try to go further, I get a UnknownTimezoneWarning in the bottom screen.

John

Daniel Graham

Nov 11, 2019, 4:28:28 PM11/11/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
John,
  • Press ^C to cancel whatever you are doing and click on “no” if prompted to save your changes.
  • Type “N" to create a new item. You should see three panels. Don’t click on any of them.
  • The middle panel should show “item type\nchoose a character from …” and the bottom panel should be empty.
  • Type “*" to create an event. The middle panel should show “summary\nbrief item …”. The bottom panel should show your “*".
  • Type a space character followed by “my event”. The middle panel should now show “summary\nmy event” to indicate that the value summary is now “my event”. The bottom panel should show “* my event”.
  • Type a space character followed by “@”. You will be prompted for the @-key. Type “s”. The middle panel should now show “start\nstarting date or…”. The bottom panel should show “* my event @s”.
  • Type a space character followed by “9a fri”. The middle panel should now show “start\n Fri Nov 15 2019 9:00am ZZZ” where ZZZ is your time zone abbreviation. This shows the datetime that is the current value of start. The bottom panel shows “* my event @s 9a fri” which, as always, is the entry you have provided thus far.
The goal of this interface is to prompt new users for the needed input as they create a new item. Existing users need not look at the middle panel but can instead focus on the bottom panel which contains the content of the new item that has been entered thus far.

You may not like this interface and that’s fine. If you don’t, you’re probably better off staying with the older version of etm.

-Dan

lawquest

Nov 11, 2019, 5:06:08 PM11/11/19
to Event and Task Manager
  Press ^C to cancel whatever you are doing and click on “no” if prompted to save your changes.
    Type “N" to create a new item. You should see three panels. Don’t click on any of them.
    The middle panel should show “item type\nchoose a character from …” and the bottom panel should be empty.
SO FAR SO GOOD

    Type “*" to create an event. The middle panel should show “summary\nbrief item …”. The bottom panel should show your “*".
MIDDLE PANEL DOES JUST THAT BUT NO * (OR ANYTHING ELSE) IN BOTTOM PANEL.

    Type a space character followed by “my event”. The middle panel should now show “summary\nmy event” to indicate that the value summary is now “my event”. The bottom panel should show “* my event”.
MIDDLE PANEL DOES FINE. WOULD NOT ACCEPT SPACE CHARACTER, BUT "MY EVENT" ENTERS IN MIDDLE PANEL.  BOTTOM PANEL SHOWS NOTHING.

    Type a space character followed by “@”. You will be prompted for the @-key. Type “s”. The middle panel should now show “start\nstarting date or…”. The bottom panel should show “* my event @s”.
MIDDLE PANEL CONTINUES TO DO WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO. BOTTOM PANEL CONTINUES TO SHOW NOTHING.

    Type a space character followed by “9a fri”. The middle panel should now show “start\n Fri Nov 15 2019 9:00am ZZZ” where ZZZ is your time zone abbreviation. This shows the datetime that is the current value of start. The bottom panel shows “* my event @s 9a fri” which, as always, is the entry you have provided thus far.
MIDDLE PANEL CONTINUES TO ACT PROPERLY.  BOTTOM PANEL DOES NOTHING.

Daniel Graham

Nov 11, 2019, 5:23:04 PM11/11/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
That’s a puzzle. Pressing F2 does show 4.0.0b4? What is the output from F4? In your etm directory (where db.json is located), there should be a logs subdirectory. Could you send me the content of logs/etm.log ?

-- Dan

Daniel Graham

Nov 11, 2019, 5:36:40 PM11/11/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
One more question. Is the background of your terminal window white or some other light color? If so, open cfg.yaml in your etm directory in a text editor and change the style setting from “dark” to “light”.

-- Dan

lawquest

Nov 11, 2019, 5:56:07 PM11/11/19
to Event and Task Manager

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 2:23:04 PM UTC-8, Dan wrote:
That’s a puzzle. Pressing F2 does show 4.0.0b4?
YES
What is the output from F4?

In your etm directory (where db.json is located), there should be a logs subdirectory. Could you send me the content of logs/etm.log ?

Not sure how to do this.

johwhi@johwhi:/usr/share/man$ whereis db.json
db: /usr/share/man/man3/db.3.gz
johwhi@johwhi:/usr/share/man$ cd man3
johwhi@johwhi:/usr/share/man/man3$ ls db.json
ls: cannot access 'db.json': No such file or directory
johwhi@johwhi:/usr/share/man/man3$

-- Dan

lawquest

Nov 11, 2019, 5:58:04 PM11/11/19
to Event and Task Manager
Not sure where the etm directory is for etm4.  Anyway, the background is very dark.

-- Dan

Daniel Graham

Nov 11, 2019, 6:01:39 PM11/11/19
to 'stef' via Event and Task Manager
John,

Your screenshots show that the background is white. The fonts in the “dark” style are white. White characters look invisible against a white background - that’s why you can’t see the output in the bottom panel.

How do you start the new etm? You should be supplying the path to the etm directory where db.json and cfg.yaml are located.

-- Dan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eventandtaskmanager/fb332ddc-63e4-4473-b2da-3ccf964d1dc3%40googlegroups.com.

lawquest

Nov 11, 2019, 7:03:59 PM11/11/19
to Event and Task Manager
Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the color lie.  Sure thought it was dark.  Anyway, I have to turn to work now and prepare for tomorrow's activities.  Here is all I could quickly find on the directory issue:

johwhi@johwhi:~$ whereis cfg.yam1
cfg:
johwhi@johwhi:~$ whereis db.json
db: /usr/share/man/man3/db.3.gz
johwhi@johwhi:~$ whereis etm4
etm4: /usr/local/bin/etm4 /usr/local/sbin/etm4 /home/johwhi/bin/etm4

I will see if I get further next weekend.

John

-- Dan

lawquest

Nov 13, 2019, 9:04:12 AM11/13/19
to Event and Task Manager
I am unable, so far, to find the file which allows me to change colors on the new etm. My system won't tell me the path to cfg.yaml or db.json. It finds them but just gives a "~" for path.

John

-- Dan

Daniel Graham

Nov 13, 2019, 9:08:40 AM11/13/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
When you want to start the new etm, what directory are you in and what command do you issue?

-- Dan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eventandtaskmanager/3279e572-b2de-4b6f-ba27-d4335f84a88e%40googlegroups.com.

lawquest

Nov 13, 2019, 3:00:58 PM11/13/19
to Event and Task Manager
I can start it in any directory by typing etm4 at the $ prompt.

-- Dan

Daniel Graham

Nov 13, 2019, 3:08:16 PM11/13/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
You must be using the default directory for etm which is “~/etm-pypi”. Have look in that directory for cfg.yaml.

-- Dan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eventandtaskmanager/e1da23c9-0175-4120-8257-e23670826c29%40googlegroups.com.

lawquest

Nov 14, 2019, 12:17:48 AM11/14/19
to Event and Task Manager
No luck. I may need to download one of the many json files in synaptic package manager. Also, I think this may be complicated by my having both the old and new etm on the same machine:

"johwhi@johwhi:~$ ~/etm-pypi
bash: /home/johwhi/etm-pypi: No such file or directory
johwhi@johwhi:~$ cd /etm
bash: cd: /etm: No such file or directory
johwhi@johwhi:~$ cd ~/etm
bash: cd: /home/johwhi/etm: No such file or directory
johwhi@johwhi:~$ cd ~/.etm
johwhi@johwhi:~/.etm$ ls
abbreviations.txt  contexts.txt       etmcal.ics     reports.cfg
cheatsheet.pdf     data               etmtk.cfg      sounds
colors.cfg         erase-reports.cfg  etmtk_log.txt  untitled.txt
"

Perhaps there is another file I could search for?

johwhi@johwhi:~/.etm$ whereis ~/etm-pypi
etm-pypi:
johwhi@johwhi:~/.etm$ whereis cfg.yaml
cfg:
johwhi@johwhi:~/.etm$

  Thanks for any suggestions.

John

Daniel Graham

Nov 14, 2019, 11:33:45 AM11/14/19
to eventandt...@googlegroups.com
You need to create a directory for etm to use. E.g.

$ mkdir ~/etm-pypi

Then start etm with

$ etm4 ~/etm-pypi

This will not only start etm, it will also create all the supporting files in “~/etm-pypi”. Now open “~/etm-pypi/cfg.yaml” in a text editor and change the style setting from “dark” to “light”. Finally, quit etm using Ctrl-Q and restart it with

$ etm4 ~/etm-pypi

and you should be able to see the output in the bottom panel.

-- Dan

lawquest

Nov 15, 2019, 1:23:41 AM11/15/19
to Event and Task Manager
Perfect.  Now if I can just get in the habit of changing to directory ~/.etm-pypi before typing etm4 ......Should be no big deal if I keep it open.  My plan is to, at least when time permits, continue to put new events into old etm while also adding the new event to new etm til I get the hang of it.  I will let you know how this works.

Thank you very much.

John

-- Dan