Backup from virtualBox

ah...@nest.ae

Jul 17, 2014, 11:02:14 AM7/17/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am using ERPNext through VirtualBox. I am going to format my PC very soon. Can you tell me how can I backup all the data that I have put in the system so far? I am afraid I will loose all my work if I format.

Regards,
Ahmed

Anand Doshi

Jul 17, 2014, 12:09:54 PM7/17/14
to ERPNext User's Forum
Hi Ahmed,

You can export a virtualbox instance. It will create a single ova file which you can use as a backup.

Thanks,
Anand.

ah...@nest.ae

Jul 20, 2014, 4:04:03 PM7/20/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Anand, I saw also a Backup tool (I think it was in the Setup module) that will send you a link by email to download your database. I did it but then the link won't take me anywhere. Here is the link:

Can you advise if this backup file is kept somewhere in the virtualmachine ?

Pratik Vyas

Jul 21, 2014, 1:40:08 AM7/21/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com

If you replace erpnext.erpnext-vm part in the url with localhost:8080, then the link should work fine. For a permanent fix, you'll have to edit the /home/erpnext/frappe-bench/sites/erpnext.erpnext-vm/site_config.json file and add "host_name": "http://localhost:8080"

Thanks for reporting, will be fixed in next vm release.

--
Pratik

ah...@nest.ae

Jul 21, 2014, 3:38:23 PM7/21/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Patrik, with your help I am able to download the file on the "Virtual Machine". So I have a file now under the /home/erpnext folder which is my database file. I used "wget localhost/backups/databasefilename". I am now stuck with how can I take this file from the virtual machine, and perhaps how I can send it to the virtual machine again. I have been trying many stuff since morning. I am not good at it an I need some help.

Perhaps it's outside the scope of erpnext. But it's too hard for a windows user like I am. And backing up and restoring is very important.

Best regards,
Ahmed

Anand Doshi

Jul 22, 2014, 2:04:57 AM7/22/14
to ERPNext User's Forum
Ahmed,

Try googling for "sharing files between VirtualBox guest and host".

Thanks,
Anand.