Items vs User

Khalid Abdu Said

Sep 4, 2014, 5:01:22 AM9/4/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have more than one company in ERPnext. I need to restrict items maintained in one company to be available only for the respective user in the same company in what so ever documents. In Items master, Quotation, Sales Order etc. Like wise one company user should not have an access for items, customer, employee and supplier of other company.

Khalid

Anand Doshi

Sep 4, 2014, 5:39:35 AM9/4/14
to ERPNext User's Forum
Khalid,

ERPNext is designed to share these masters among company! You should ideally create separate instances of erpnext for the different companies, as there doesn't seem to be any advantage in using the same ERPNext instance for multiple companies in your case.

-Anand.

wa...@xavierltd.com

Sep 4, 2014, 6:02:03 AM9/4/14
to ERPNext User's Forum
‎Hi Anand,

Doesn't the permission manager already restrict users to all these docs based on Company field?

I think it does... or am I missing something? As long as the users all have their respective companies set in their user permissions, I don't see the issue

Kind regards,
Olawale ‎
Sep 4, 2014, 11:59:40 AM9/4/14
to ERPNext User's Forum
‎Hi Anand,

I see what you mean. What if a custom field linking the company master is added to these docs and permissions are set accordingly?

Kind regards,
Olawale
Sep 20, 2014, 5:36:46 AM9/20/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Annand,

Creating another ideal Erpnext on the same server seems to be more difficult than creating a custom field for company in the item doc. Rather give me some clue or example on how to link items of the same company/warehouse to be accessed only by the same company user. Surely Olawale could lend a hand on this issue too because i can also use the same technique to customers and suppliers as well.

Thanks
Khalid

Khalid Abdu Said

Sep 20, 2014, 5:45:05 AM9/20/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Annand,

Creating another ideal Erpnext on the same server seems to be more difficult than creating a custom field for company in the item doc. Rather give me some clue or example on how to link items of the same company/warehouse to be accessed only by the same company user. Surely Olawale could lend a hand on this issue too because i can also use the same technique to customers and suppliers as well. Even though our companies focus on health and pharmaceuticals their difference is more than their commonality

Thanks
Khalid

Umair Sayyed

Sep 20, 2014, 8:57:34 AM9/20/14
to ERPNext User's Forum
Khalid,

Please check following for help in setting up restriction on item based on Company of the User. This will require you inserting Custom Field in the item master and updating value in it.

https://erpnext.com/user-guide/setting-up/permissions/user-permissions

Thanks and Regards,
Umair Sayyed
www.erpnext.com