Copy Bill Of Materials

David Gitz

Aug 23, 2014, 9:34:02 PM8/23/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am trying out ERPNext for my startup and here's my situation.
I am developing a Device with different configuration options that may or may not be exclusive.  A Part Number that I'm using would be like 810001-101 where the number before the dash is the Part Master and the numbers after the dash are a code for the different options.  To me, the easiest workflow would be to create a master BOM for the 810001 part with every option possible.  Then create a separate BOM for each configuration such as 810001-100, 810001-011, etc.  The customer would purchase the configuration part, not the master part.

My question is, is it possible to copy over a BOM from the 810001 master BOM to the 810001-ABC configured part?

The alternative would be to create a BOM for the 810001 component that doesn't have any of the options.  Then create something a BOM for 810001-0XX, 810001-1XX, etc for components that are unique to that configuration.  Then the unit that would be sold would be something like 810001-101, with line items 810001, 810001-1XX, 810001-X0X, 810001-XX1.  This is a little harder but may be better for inventory sake.  Thoughts?

David Gitz
FAST Robotics CEO

Rushabh Mehta

Aug 25, 2014, 2:02:48 AM8/25/14
On 24-Aug-2014, at 7:04 am, David Gitz <davi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I am trying out ERPNext for my startup and here's my situation.

Welcome to the community!

I am developing a Device with different configuration options that may or may not be exclusive.  A Part Number that I'm using would be like 810001-101 where the number before the dash is the Part Master and the numbers after the dash are a code for the different options.  To me, the easiest workflow would be to create a master BOM for the 810001 part with every option possible.  Then create a separate BOM for each configuration such as 810001-100, 810001-011, etc.  The customer would purchase the configuration part, not the master part.

My question is, is it possible to copy over a BOM from the 810001 master BOM to the 810001-ABC configured part?

File > Copy :)

The alternative would be to create a BOM for the 810001 component that doesn't have any of the options.  Then create something a BOM for 810001-0XX, 810001-1XX, etc for components that are unique to that configuration.  Then the unit that would be sold would be something like 810001-101, with line items 810001, 810001-1XX, 810001-X0X, 810001-XX1.  This is a little harder but may be better for inventory sake.  Thoughts?

Do keep a codification logic though - so you can re-use the configurations and also standardize components. Serial IDs may seem attractive at first, but can be a nightmare as you progress.

Good luck!

David Gitz
FAST Robotics CEO

David Gitz

Aug 25, 2014, 6:40:20 AM8/25/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks for the reply. In my File menu I have All Applications, New and Report. No Copy opton.
Sorry for the confusion, in my example each digit after the dash represents a different option, not serial numbers.

Anand Doshi

Aug 25, 2014, 7:36:30 AM8/25/14
to ERPNext User's Forum
Hey David,

You need to open the BOM form. The options in the File menu will change and it will have the Copy option.

-Anand.