Permission Manager

Sonal

Oct 30, 2012, 4:08:23 AM10/30/12
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

From what I understand ERPNext allows us to:

  1. assign roles to users (many-many) - Profile page
  2. assign levels to form fields (one-many) - Customize forms page
  3. assign roles to form levels (many-many) - Permissions page
  4. assign document stages to form levels in roles (many-many) - Permissions page
  5. restrict profiles in each form level in each role - Permissions page

Instead can we please have it as below?

  1. assign roles to users (many-many) - Profile page
  2. assign levels to form fields (one-many) - Customize forms page
  3. assign form levels to roles (many-many) - Permissions page
  4. assign document stages to form levels in roles (many-many) - Permissions page
  5. restrict profiles in each form level in each role - Permissions page

Only step 3 changes. The functionality does not change just the usability does.

The changes required for this would be

  1. The form in the permissions page where the drop down menu will have roles instead of documents/ forms and instead of "adding roles" we shall be adding "forms" to one particular role.
  2. For each form added to a single role there can be a drop down menu alongside with all the preconfigured levels available for that form such that you can choose all or some levels for that form in that role.
  3. After form levels have been assigned to the role, we could use check boxes/ radio buttons alongside each level to choose document stages to be assigned.
  4. We could have the match fields drop down alongside the above check boxes/ radio buttons.

Basically the above first 3 points will make the Permissions page look like the "Role permissions" page that is opened when we click on a role in the profile page. Don't know if this is workable or not but let me know if something along these lines is possible.

As before, I find the assigning of roles and document stages to forms tough. Would much prefer assigning partial forms to roles…

Thanks & regards,

Sonal

Rushabh Mehta

Oct 30, 2012, 8:03:35 AM10/30/12
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sonal,

Had promised refactoring of the Permissions page - will fix this in the upcoming release (with cost of goods sold). By our current estimates this will take at least 3 weeks. I know we are pushing back, but we are also doing a lot of other changes that are coming on the way.

Will make sure that the permissions table is filterable either by role or form!

Also a good idea to link the permissions page directly from the Profile page. Will do that too.

Thanks!

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

Sonal Ramnathkar

Oct 30, 2012, 9:49:30 AM10/30/12
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rushabh,

no problem about the time, thanks for doing this.

Have tried getting used to the other way but just cant get comfy about it.

So far am just using defaults and there is much customisation needed.

Regards,
Sonal

Addy

Jun 16, 2014, 2:25:02 PM6/16/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would like to know how can I limit Roles from viewing all transactions in Version 4.

For example:
I would like to limit ALL Role in TODO to view only those todos where they are creator or in assigned by and would not like them to view other todo list items.

I am kind of getting confused with the new Permission manager.

Rushabh Mehta

Jun 17, 2014, 3:44:14 AM6/17/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Aditya

This seems to have gone through the cracks - we will fix it.

best,
Rushabh

@rushabh_mehta

Rushabh Mehta

Jun 17, 2014, 4:05:04 AM6/17/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Just checked with Anand - To Do permission is fixed by code. Only system manager can see everyone's To Do.

Addy

Jun 17, 2014, 4:08:52 AM6/17/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rushabh,

It is just not limited to the Todo but I was pointing towards a larger issue. In the earlier permission manager we had the ability to restrict users by Creator or any other link field. Now the problem is that the earlier restrictions are not possible, isn't it a step backwards.

I mean, maybe I am missing something, how could I limit a user from seeing only those Sales Orders which are created by them or how could I limit a ROLE from editing only those transactions which are created by them only for all other transactions they cannot edit them.

These are small requirements but I know they take a lot of coding effort and losing that kind of restriction is kind of sad.

By the way, the new permission manager is much more robust but I guess it still lacks the punch since it is very difficult to link some of the inter-links. Like how to ensure a role if linked to a customer sees those customers and only their transactions (like Quote, SO, DN, SI). I know we can add the default values but I still feel that, though that is a good work-around it is not still not the best and intuitive method.

I hope all the above are already answered by the permission manager and I sincerely hope that its only me who has failed to figure out the way.
Rushabh

@rushabh_mehta

Addy

Jun 17, 2014, 4:11:46 AM6/17/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rushabh,

I just checked by logging into a test user and found out that I guess it is hard coded. This is exactly what I am talking about that hard coding would remove the flexibility. Now what if some1 wants to give rights for viewing all todo, maybe a class teacher or prof working in a education institute.

I mean, you are making an awesome product not just for me or this small community but for a larger audience.
Rushabh

@rushabh_mehta

Rushabh Mehta

Jun 17, 2014, 4:23:49 AM6/17/14
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
You can create a custom field of type Link (User) with fieldname "owner" and apply user permissions for that field. This will automatically restrict by owner.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-user-forum/550550ee-8b28-468e-b3f2-aef8be5ddd16%40googlegroups.com.