My first app - base_vat

Luis Fernandes

Sep 19, 2014, 9:44:36 AM9/19/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Ok, i made my first app to teste the framework and i wanted to be useful.

To the others i hope to be at least pedagogic.

With this app i learn some insides of the framework, mainly fixtures.

Thanks, to the team and especially to rushabh who as been very kind, patient and helpful.

Rushabh Mehta

Sep 20, 2014, 8:09:33 AM9/20/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Luis,

Congrats... This is awesome!

Now all you need is to make the docs / screenshots and maybe a github.io page so that people can start using it.

This is where we hoped to do with the Frappe Release! The next step is we want to monetize this for you (and other developers who want to build Frappe Apps).

The easiest way is that we can charge a fixed fee when someone installs this on Frappe Cloud. The user can also choose to buy ongoing support (recurring billing)

But how much should that be? Should the developer decide that be dependant on the complexity? What happens when the developer decides to stop support and someone else takes it up?

Also how do we define the boundaries - there would want to be some things we want to include as a basic part of ERPNext but could be built as an app first. What should be the best practices in such a scenario.

I guess we can keep the app free for self-installers... They could buy support directly if they need.

Lots of questions but either ways - thanks for kick starting this!

Please share you thoughts.

best,
Rushabh

@rushabh_mehta

--
Note:

If you are posting an issue,

1. ERPNext is a free and open source software and support is given on this forum by a team (https://frappe.io/webnotes). So please consider donating if you find this forum useful (https://frappe.io/buy). Even a small amount would be helpful.
2. We should be able to replicate it at our end. So please give us as much information as you can. Please see it from the point of view of the person receiving the communication.
3. Paste your code at http://pastebin.com or http://gist.github.com and send only the URL via email
4. For sending images, use http://imgur.com or other similar services. Do not send images as attachments. Links are good. Same goes for any file you are going to send.

End of Note
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext Developer Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-developer-forum/e6c08c5a-2b7b-4c0d-88fe-da71e384fbd3%40googlegroups.com.

Luis Fernandes

Sep 22, 2014, 8:48:18 AM9/22/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rushabh.

I update the github page with images as a manual.

It is good to know your plans for the frappe cloud.

Just for share my opinion i think that for the self-installers it is important to stay free.

You put a lot of questions that don't have a right answer. I think give a fee to developers it is a motivation to keep them working and do better.

I also think the developer know better the complexity of his app and should suggest a fee to start.

Yes, it is a big concern if developers stop support for their app, i think in the worst scenario you could, if the app is highly requested, to offer to community who want to support them. I know it is not the best solution but it is one option!.

Thanks, again.

Rushabh Mehta

Sep 23, 2014, 12:52:02 AM9/23/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Luis,

Thanks! - You did not put a license on this? I assume if this is adapted from oodo, should it carry the same license?

best,
Rushabh

--
1. Please be kind and don't send large attachments
2. For issues, features requests use https://github.com/frappe/erpnext/issues

Luis Fernandes

Sep 23, 2014, 3:44:48 AM9/23/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com