[upcoming] Frappe 5.0

Rushabh Mehta

Sep 9, 2014, 8:57:08 AM9/9/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

We are planning to release a housekeeping release for Frappe. It will break the current API a bit, hence a major release. Details here:

Please post comments / concerns on the Pull Request.

best,
Rushabh

@rushabh_mehta

Y Y

Sep 12, 2014, 5:19:44 AM9/12/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
What's new in frappe 5.0?

在 2014年9月9日星期二UTC+8下午8时57分08秒,rushabh写道:

JorgeH

Sep 12, 2014, 10:22:56 AM9/12/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I am evaluating ErpNext for various projects next year.

One of my concerns is Backwards compatibility. When do you release a new version of Frappe/Erpnext, does it break existing working code?

Or the complains of some users are related to the user interface..

Thanks

Rushabh Mehta

Sep 12, 2014, 12:38:17 PM9/12/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com, erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Replies inline

@rushabh_mehta
via mobile

On 12-Sep-2014, at 7:52 PM, JorgeH <jorg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello

I am evaluating ErpNext for various projects next year.

Great!

One of my concerns is Backwards compatibility. When do you release a new version of Frappe/Erpnext, does it break existing working code?

Yes if it is a major release. We don't have a roadmap as such. You should test well after a major upgrade. Minor and patch updates should not break the  existing code.

Or the complains of some users are related to the user interface..

It's best to look at these point by point. General feedback is positive on most changes.

We try to follow bootstrap framework guidelines while designing the user interface and try to keep things minimal.

Thanks

--
Note:

If you are posting an issue,

1. ERPNext is a free and open source software and support is given on this forum by a team (https://frappe.io/webnotes). So please consider donating if you find this forum useful (https://frappe.io/buy). Even a small amount would be helpful.
2. We should be able to replicate it at our end. So please give us as much information as you can. Please see it from the point of view of the person receiving the communication.
3. Paste your code at http://pastebin.com or http://gist.github.com and send only the URL via email
4. For sending images, use http://imgur.com or other similar services. Do not send images as attachments. Links are good. Same goes for any file you are going to send.

End of Note
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ERPNext Developer Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/erpnext-developer-forum/271269c9-a358-41a3-bca7-f4a116691eb2%40googlegroups.com.

JorgeH

Sep 12, 2014, 1:17:12 PM9/12/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your answer.

Well you have to keep in mind that this is a Major concern. Not only for me but for any developer in the world.

If i set up Erps for a number of clients, and the code works no more or malfunction with each of your upgrades, then my clients will turn to me to fix the problem, probably angry, and surely demanding no expenses for the fix.

So I would have to stop whatever I am working on to fix the code I did for them in the past.

Seriously, you should aim for stability and maintainability . An Erp is a mission critical application, ubiquitous in the enterprise.

Allowme to quote some other python project (a web framework non erp related) philosophy.

"web2py has been stable from day one because it follows a top-down design; i.e., its API was designed before it was implemented. Even as new functionality has been added, web2py has never broken backwards compatibility, and it will not break compatibility when additional functionality is added in the future."

http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/01/introduction#Why-web2py

This philosophy is a must, for any erp solution. In my opinion.

Greetings

Rushabh Mehta

Sep 13, 2014, 2:17:46 AM9/13/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Jorge,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. Points Noted.

On the other hand, we don't want to get stuck with bad decisions for years. ERPs have been suffering from this for too long. It is always going to be a struggle to balance those to objectives.

What might help is to have a reasonable test coverage so that you can run your tests before deploying it to your users. We develop Frappe and ERPNext independently, our our tests usually catch any major boo boo in ERPNext. In the new code we write, we make it a point to write tests.

In most cases, we have maintained backward compatibility (old function names etc) so that both the new and old APIs work.

Some of the recent updates have helped us convert the application to a platform, made the architecture multi-tenant, boosted performance, and simplified the MVC structure.

I guess the more community gets involved in the project, there will be more points of view, but that is always great!

best,
Rushabh

@rushabh_mehta

[...]

Y Y

Sep 14, 2014, 8:44:23 PM9/14/14
to erpnext-dev...@googlegroups.com
Jorge and Rushabh are from 2 different aspects of concerns, which discussed with patrick before.

for business user, it is really a big concern on updates(major version number change), it is not a call that run command directly. say php 5.1, php 5.2, which one of my working enterprise, they took a month to upgrade(setup new environment, load new data, test key functions).

for Rushabh mentioned, it is the flow of software delevopment, say auto-mated testing. however, in this release, no business user involved. as for business user, 1 issue which will lead end user lose confidence, then questioning the whole IT team. which is very risky.

I think in existing frappecloud, it is manual merge some updates(leave some features) or it is using another tool which can specify..., not sure...

Best Regards,
Yang

在 2014年9月13日星期六UTC+8下午2时17分46秒,rushabh写道:

@rushabh_mehta