thought for today

Gurumurthy K

Apr 6, 2016, 2:41:53 AM4/6/16
to mathssciencestf, socialsciencestf, stfurdu, hindistf, htfkarnataka, hpsmaths...@googlegroups.com, assamma...@googlegroups.com, tsmathsscienceupstf, tsstf, tsswreis, apswreis, bangalor...@googlegroups.com, bengalurus...@googlegroups.com, kannadastf, karnataka_teachereducators, indianteach...@googlegroups.com, englishstf, karnatakash...@googlegroups.com, koer

It would be to let every child be the planner, director and assessor of his own education, to allow and encourage him, with the inspiration and guidance of more experienced and expert people, and as much help as he asked for, to decide what he is to learn, when is he to learn it, and how well he is learning it. It would be to make our schools, instead of what they are, which is jails for children, into a resource for free and independent learning, which everyone in the community of whatever age, could use as much or as little as he wanted.”

John Holt, The Under- Achieving School, 2005

Can we all work together, help and support one another to build schools as above....

regards,

Guru, IT for Change, Bengaluru

Gurumurthy K

Apr 8, 2016, 5:29:13 AM4/8/16
to karnataka_teachereducators, mathssciencestf, socialsciencestf, englishstf, hindistf, karnatakash...@googlegroups.com, indianteach...@googlegroups.com, htfkarnataka, tsmathsscienceupstf, tsstf, assamma...@googlegroups.com, koer
I feel happy to read Kumar's mail.

Sometimes when I feel lost/ demoralized, it is interactions with younger people that brings back faith in humanity.

This year I had the opportunity to interact with students in the  'Education Leadership and Management' course and the 'ICT and Education' course in the MA Education program at TISS, as a visiting faculty. The openness of students to honestly explore the challenges in education, and at the same time, have the courage to discuss ideals and principles was quite encouraging.

In the 'fifth discipline' Peter Senge talks about the need to hold the 'creative tension' between context (current realities) and the vision (ideal to be worked for) and how a good leader can use this creative tension for generating ideas, energies within a team...  He also discusses the processes of 'openness' (being willing to listen to others and be persuaded by them) and 'advocacy' (clearly explaining ones views and justifications) as the way to bridge gaps of understanding/beliefs amongst people.

the contexts of current teacher education and the classroom processes are known. we are also aware of the ideals/principles relating to both...  creating spaces for constructive dialogue through "openness and advocacy" is essential for progress .. (and mailing forums can be one of such spaces)

regards
Guru

IT for Change, Bengaluru
www.ITforChange.net

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Kumara Swamy <kumara...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for sharing  this.  Realising this would be building a whole Brave New World.   We need to work on making people unlearn first.  The vision has to be recreated.  I entirely agree with Maya - trained teachers are not really helpless.  But we have been telling lies to ourselves about our own goals and vision.  How do we make everyone sincerely reflect over his/her assumptions,  aspirations and vision is the question.  However,  when I interact with B Ed students, I feel the future is not that bleak.   They are open and are able to understand these issues in the light of their own experiences as students.  But the curriculum we have, even the revised one,  carries the same old stereotypes and does not really project a vision which has true educational value.  Whether a system projects a vision or not,  present students can assess the situation and take decisions.  We have to be alert in facilitating such reflections in them.

Regards

Kumara Swamy

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Maya Menon <maya...@teacherfoundation.org> wrote:
This will be possible only when our policy makers concertedly endeavour to develop teachers who can be all of this - inspired, free, independent. That is not the case even in some of our best schools - government or private.  Teacher training colleges and DIETs too expect only compliance and learning things at a superficial level.

Currently we are in an educational crisis,  with teachers and headteachers not doing their utmost to make learning an enjoyable and meaningful experience for all their students. We are battling with teacher attendance, indifference and helplessness. If one is a trained qualified teacher, I cannot believe he/she is helpless. If that really is the case - then seek help, demand help, but don't sit around doing nothing.

Sorry I'm coming on so strong - but we as a society are so complacent and willing to take short cuts with something as critical as education.

Cheers

Maya

Maya Menon
The Teacher Foundation
37/10 Yellappa Chetty Layout
Ulsoor Road
Bangalore 560042

Phone 080-41131930, +919845390914 (Mobile)
Website : www.teacherfoundation.org
Link to us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/teacherfoundation
Link to us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ttfUpdates
*For doubts on Ubuntu and other public software, visit http://karnatakaeducation.org.in/KOER/en/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions