Fwd: plot function request

1 view

Paul Penczek

Apr 6, 2020, 11:52:14 AM4/6/20
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com

>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope this is right list.
>>
>> I use function plot quite often and it is of great help.
>>
>> However, I could not find a way to add few words description to the plot.
>> I use the results often for bookkeeping and it would make my life
>> much easier if I could have a title on a plot.
>>
>> Ideally, labeling of axes would be also possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pawel

Steve Ludtke

Apr 6, 2020, 12:00:23 PM4/6/20
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com
plot opens an interactive display. Once open, you can middle-click and make the changes you are requesting on the control panel, as with the other widgets.

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology                      (www.bcm.edu/biochem)
Academic Director, CryoEM Core                                        (cryoem.bcm.edu)
Co-Director CIBR Center                                    (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr)

Paul Penczek

Apr 6, 2020, 12:41:56 PM4/6/20
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I can see it. It is fun to play with.

Still, I see axes labels but not the overall title.

Pawel

On Apr 6, 2020, at 11:00 AM, Steve Ludtke <slud...@gmail.com> wrote:

plot opens an interactive display. Once open, you can middle-click and make the changes you are requesting on the control panel, as with the other widgets.

Steve Ludtke

Paul Penczek

Apr 6, 2020, 2:31:51 PM4/6/20
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com
Since we are on a subject

Is

Plot=“plot.png”

Supposed to mean plot will be saved?

I tried and nothing happened.

Pawel

On Apr 6, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Steve Ludtke <slud...@gmail.com> wrote:

That is correct, nobody ever bothered with overall title because it impacts the plotting region in unpredictable ways, and usually isn't really necessary, since people generally are embedding plots in other software (ie - powerpoint/word) where they can add the labels that way. There is the capability to add arbitrary annotations to the plot via the Python interface (if you wanted a title inside the plot axes, not at the top, but nobody bothered adding this to the control-panel.

Steve Ludtke

Apr 6, 2020, 2:42:23 PM4/6/20
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what you mean by
Plot=“plot.png”

where, and in what context?

To save a plot there is a "pdf" button in the control panel, though I just tried this and it didn't work, which is probably a Python3 bug we hadn't noticed.  I will take a look this afternoon...

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology                      (www.bcm.edu/biochem)
Academic Director, CryoEM Core                                        (cryoem.bcm.edu)
Co-Director CIBR Center                                    (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr)

Steve Ludtke

Paul Penczek

Apr 6, 2020, 7:59:18 PM4/6/20