Graphics.* status

Emilien Taque

Feb 25, 2016, 5:24:53 AM2/25/16
to elm-dev
Hello,

I'm wondering what should be Graphics status.
On one hand, Graphics.Element is seriously challenged by elm-html and flexbox and would need a lot of work to stay "competitive".
On the other hand, Graphics.Collage is essential as it's the only canvas package.

So my proposition is:
  • deprecate Graphics.Elements
  • split Graphics.Collage :
    • extract Canvas primitives to the upcoming platform package
    • publish Collage as a standalone package

Would that make sense?

Cheers,

Emilien

Peter Damoc

Feb 25, 2016, 5:53:56 AM2/25/16
to elm...@googlegroups.com
It would make sense to eject Graphics.* out of the core and replace it with Html.

In this scenario, `fromElement`  should go away and be replaced by a `toHtml` function in the newly Graphics.* package.

As a personal preference, `main` should accept String and instances of `show` should just be replaced with `toString`.

Most of my coding experiments start with :

import Html exposing (..)

main = text <| toString "Hello"

and only after I see that first successful run of the code I move forward. :)

There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/

Evan Czaplicki

Feb 25, 2016, 9:34:43 AM2/25/16
to elm-dev
I'm thinking of doing something like this. Right now I am focused on getting other stuff working, but once I have a 0.17 alpha out, we should revisit this.

I don't think I'll have time to wrap all the canvas primitives before 0.17, but maybe that's the way to go eventually.

Anyway, can you remember to bring this up again when an alpha is out?