Multiline IEx support? (Inspiration from 2.7 IRB)

Edison Yap

Jun 3, 2020, 11:50:41 AM6/3/20
to elixir-lang-core
With the recent Ruby 2.7 release came a new version of the IRB and that works really well.

Some of the features I'd like to see in IEx is:
- Multiline REPL support (so when you key-up on your history, it returns a whole block instead of a single line)
- Navigate block (when you are in Block mode, key-up should navigate around within the bloc, instead of cycling through history).

It's rather hard to put it into words, but I urge you to try the 2.7 IRB and give it a feel.

Here's a screenshot that hopefully illustrates what I'm trying to convey.

Would something like this require changes to the erlang shell?

Po Chen

Jun 22, 2020, 11:20:58 PM6/22/20
to elixir-lang-core
Or ipython

Po Chen

Jun 22, 2020, 11:31:23 PM6/22/20
to elixir-lang-core
multi-line-repl.gif

Po Chen

Jun 22, 2020, 11:34:51 PM6/22/20
to elixir-lang-core
gif animation not supported it looks like