[Proposal] Attach to release process

Sofiane Baddag

Jan 4, 2020, 4:12:11 AM1/4/20
to elixir-lang-core
Hello !

Currently, if I want to attach to the standard input of my release daemon, I have to invoke "to_erl tmp/pipe/".

Wouldn't it be nice to have an "attach" command that I can run with the built release (i.e. this: "_build/prod/rel/my_app/bin/my_app"), along with "start", "stop", "remote", etc?

Thanks

José Valim

Jan 4, 2020, 4:16:35 AM1/4/20
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sofiane!

The reason why we don't have such a command is because the to_erl mode has some limitations, documented in the release docs, and it is generally preferable to connect to nodes remotely instead. So we don't want to make something we don't fully encourage first class.

In any case, thanks for the proposal and happy new year!

José Valim
Founder and Director of R&D

Sofiane Baddag

Jan 4, 2020, 4:20:32 AM1/4/20
to elixir-lang-core
Hi José !

Thank you ! Happy New Year !

The thing is, when we connect to a node remotely, we don't have the standard input. If someone invokes a route in my Phoenix app, I can't see the activity happening with "remote".

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 10:12 AM Sofiane Baddag <popo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello !

Currently, if I want to attach to the standard input of my release daemon, I have to invoke "to_erl tmp/pipe/".

Wouldn't it be nice to have an "attach" command that I can run with the built release (i.e. this: "_build/prod/rel/my_app/bin/my_app"), along with "start", "stop", "remote", etc?

Thanks

José Valim

Jan 4, 2020, 4:23:25 AM1/4/20
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
You can start it as a daemon and connect remotely to it. All logs will be in the tmp/ directory too, which you can watch with a command like “tail -f”.

Sofiane Baddag

Jan 4, 2020, 4:27:43 AM1/4/20
to elixir-lang-core
Got it working wondefully !

Is it okay if I add this in mix documentation ?

José Valim

Jan 4, 2020, 4:32:53 AM1/4/20
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Mentioning the log files are also available for consumption in daemon mode would definitely be a good addition. Please do send a PR!

José Valim
Founder and Director of R&D

Sofiane Baddag