How's the book coming along Philip?

David Jumeau

Aug 19, 2020, 12:53:19 PM8/19/20
to eLearning Technology and Development
It's been a while and I am wondering if this is still going on?

Thanks,

David

Dudy Cemed

Aug 19, 2020, 1:08:12 PM8/19/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Hi David.

I'm still waiting for Philip to reply, maybe he's busy.

Do you have any solution for me?
Or you're having same issue with mine?

Cheers,
Dudy.

David Jumeau

Aug 19, 2020, 4:56:55 PM8/19/20
to eLearning Technology and Development
I haven't touched Animate in years...

I have been using tools like Storyline and modified the JavaScript code to make sure that there was lesson completion with different LMSes.

David

Dudy Cemed

Aug 19, 2020, 7:39:35 PM8/19/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
I use Articulate 360 as well for simple course, quiz and assessment. But for complex CBT with fully animation I use Animate.

There is always limitation between this software.

Cheers,
Dudy.

Philip Hutchison

Aug 20, 2020, 2:09:37 AM8/20/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Hi David (and Dudy)

Y'know... I made great progress on that book and then work/life/kids/SQUIRREL! just kind of got in the way. I've worked on it quite a bit over the past few years, with some very interesting technological detours, including Vue.js and Electron.

(FWIW, the SCORM Sandbox is pretty solid now, and works great. I still need to export Windows and Mac apps from the source code.)

I recently picked the book project back up again and decided to sell it as an online course instead of a book, as I think the online course format lends itself better to code examples.

I also decided to break the subject matter into two separate projects, and would love to get your feedback on whether this makes sense. (And feedback from anyone else in this Google group! The more the merrier.)

Course #1: How to implement SCORM in an HTML project (i.e. how to SCORMify an existing HTML project such as a Reveal.js slideshow)
Course #2: How to build an HTML-based SCORM course that looks and feels like a course produced by rapid e-learning devs tools such as Captivate or Articulate, but hand-coded and using open-source frameworks like Bootstrap or Foundation.

The first course covers the basics of SCORM 1.2 and course-to-LMS communication, and includes some of my opinions/advice regarding what parts of SCORM are safe to use and what should be avoided (if your goal is compatibility across LMS platforms). This content is already written, and I may be able to release it as soon as next month. The second course would assume some knowledge of SCORM and focuses more on building out custom navigation, using open-source interactions, etc. This is in early stages, and may never move forward. But if I receive enough positive feedback (i.e. people saying they'd be willing to buy it), I could have it done in a couple of months. I've built these kinds of courses many times, I just need to document the process.

You may have received an email from me a while back mentioning a tool I built called the SCORM Sandbox, which is designed to enable SCORM developers to test their SCORM 1.2 courses locally without an LMS or server. This is another project that I may release soon, probably as a package deal with the course. I built the SCORM Sandbox in Electron, first with vanilla HTML/JS then with Vue.js. I spent many many many hours on it, getting to know Electron, Vue.js, Node, and some related tech stacks. I wound up refactoring my work several times as I became more familiar with the stack and best practices for both Electron and Vue.

(This is one of the reasons I got sidetracked from releasing the book; I wanted to give readers a way to test their work locally without having to install an LMS or use SCORM Cloud. Then I simply got caught up chasing this idea, and next thing you know a year or three have passed!)

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded reply. Thanks for asking about the book!

To anyone reading this, I'd really appreciate any feedback you can provide about these projects, aside from asking for it to be free. :)

Thanks
- philip

Samantha Lowe

Aug 20, 2020, 4:21:52 AM8/20/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
I'd pay for course two. Could you be a total beginner going in?

Samantha Lowe

Aug 20, 2020, 4:24:15 AM8/20/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Also to follow up about being interested in course 2, is primarily because it seems a lot of the published code in articulate and captivate seems to go unused. I've been interested in building a course from scratch to reduce the unused code. Not sure how much that affects performance though or if it's not that big of a deal.

David Jumeau

Aug 20, 2020, 8:51:07 AM8/20/20
to eLearning Technology and Development
@Dudy... If you are having issues with Animate and SCORM, an alternative is to publish the Animate file as HTML and integrate it with an HTML extension. If you need to insist to complete the exercise in Animate, you can pass a variable to Storyline and set the next button. I hope this is a good alternative. Check out Elearning Heroes ( https://community.articulate.com/articles/using-javascript-and-articulate-storyline) particularly on Zolt Olah's articles. If not, I can try to create a mini course doing this on Elearning Heroes time permitting.

@Philip ... Since your first part is done, I would strongly suggest that you put that online course as soon as possible, since you have a life like everyone else does. :)

For the second course, I would just break it up in three parts... 1. VanillaJS, 2. Bootstrap, 3. Vue.Js ... I would imagine there is a pattern there, but starting off simple is a best practice for me when I communicate with my colleagues at work.

Best of success to you Philip and cherish life. Life seems to accelerate as we get older.

David

Philip Hutchison

Aug 21, 2020, 2:20:48 AM8/21/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com

Philip Hutchison

Aug 21, 2020, 2:32:06 AM8/21/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samantha

Writing your own code can definitely help in terms of streamlining the end product -- using only what you need, and knowing exactly what ingredients are in your soup. In many cases you could definitely improve the performance and the accessibility of each course page, but if you're not careful, you could also make them much worse! It's all on you when you write your own code, for better or for worse. It makes testing all the more important.

As for whether a beginner can follow along with my materials, the answer is yes, though it depends on your definition of beginner. Obviously someone who is comfortable with HTML, CSS, and vanilla JavaScript will be able to move more quickly than someone who isn't fluent in those technologies. Familiarity with CSS systems like Bootstrap or JS libraries like jQuery would help a lot in that regard. My assumption is that anyone reading the materials would be familiar with basic JS (syntax, functions, event handlers, etc) and a smattering of CSS. My goal is to teach people how to integrate SCORM into that world; going beyond that scope to teach JS and CSS would be a huge undertaking, though I try to clearly explain what's going on in each step of the course building process.

Hope that answers your question

Thanks!
- philip