Storyline 360 publishing will not properly complete any course I publish

Samantha Lowe

Jul 26, 2020, 12:23:34 AM7/26/20
to eLearning Technology and Development
Hello,

I've tried publishing a storyline 360 course with slide tracking as the completion requirement. The course has been published with both versions of scorm and all the different completion options.

The course will either complete too early. Almost immediately or gets hung up in incomplete.

Then I tried a course with using a trigger to set completion and that didn't work.

I also tried using a trigger to set it to fail at the start of the course and then pass at the end of the course. The trigger worked at the start but wouldn't set a completion at the end.

This has been done on two different courses. One course was exclusively built on the c drive and published to the c drive.

I also tried writing JS in a slide to set the completion from there by using a piece of JS someone on the storyline forum suggested but that didn't work either.

So I tried looking in the published files to see where Articulate would publish the completion criteria, but it's so much code I can't decipher it. It was an attempt to set the completion criteria manually.

Would that be possible? If so, where should I look?

Thanks,
Samantha

Philip Hutchison

Jul 26, 2020, 8:17:33 PM7/26/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samantha

I personally don't use Articulate Storyline, so I don't know for sure. It sounds like you just need to edit the settings in Storyline to ensure there's no race condition or impossible completion criteria. You shouldn't need to dig into code to get something so simple up and working. You should also ensure your LMS settings align with the course settings -- same version of SCORM, same completion criteria and scoring, same rollup rules (if any), etc.

However, if you want to dig into code, I believe Storyline uses Rustici Software's SCORM Driver; if you're interested in making some custom SCORM calls you can read the SCORM Driver docs to get some ideas. The Rustici crew is usually pretty good at answering questions, too.

Beware that if you make custom calls from your Articulate course before it closes, there's a chance your course's internal logic (as implemented by Articulate) will invoke a SCORM call that can override yours. For example, setting a score or completion status. You can make as many calls as you like but if Articulate is left free to run its normal operations, it could very well wipe your custom data out.

Good luck!
- philip

Samantha Lowe

Jul 27, 2020, 6:21:42 AM7/27/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for taking the time to answer.
I tested the courses in scorm cloud, so it's got to be how I'm publishing it, right?

Thanks again,
Samantha

Ryan Meyer

Jul 27, 2020, 8:15:49 AM7/27/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com

If you were getting the same results in SCORM Cloud, then yes it’s definitely something with your course.

I haven’t seen too many completion issues with Storyline, especially with straightforward out-of-the-box completion options.

Are you publishing for SCORM 2004? That has much more complexity in how course completion is rolled up among the SCOs within the course, and could cause some confusion. If so, maybe try publishing for SCORM 1.2 and see if that clears things up.

-Ryan

Samantha Lowe

Jul 27, 2020, 10:19:07 AM7/27/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Just tried a couple different SCORM 1.2 publishes still the same issue.
Next, is to uninstall and reinstall storyline.
Hope that works.

Samantha Lowe

Jul 27, 2020, 10:37:15 AM7/27/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Yep,
Uninstall and reinstall seemed to work.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Tom McCrystal

Jul 27, 2020, 1:41:29 PM7/27/20
to eLearning Technology and Development
Hi, Samantha,

I'd opine with great certainty that the problem is with Storyline; we've had numerous issues with their internal completion criteria. (So much so, that generally we use Javascript to manage it ourselves.)

Here are some things to try:

1) Just in case it's pilot error, delete all the settings related to completion, save the file, open it and save it as a new file, the reapply any completion criteria. (For some reason, that "save as" seems to make 360 be a bit more reliable.) Then save the file again, reopen it, and check to make sure the change "stuck". We've had numerous cases of opening a file and wondering "where did my last set of changes go?"

2) If that still doesn't work, you may need to use Storyline variables to handle completion.

3) If that still doesn't work, use Javascript to manage completion. It's a little more complicated, but pretty straightforward.

Best,

tmc

Samantha Lowe

Jul 27, 2020, 1:51:17 PM7/27/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
Not that great with JavaScript. How do you link it? I noticed that JS inside of a trigger gets published to a user.js file. Is that where a custom script should go?

Will Findlay

Jul 27, 2020, 10:44:59 PM7/27/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
I noticed an update to Storyline 360 this morning:

July 24, 2020 (Build 3.42.22734.0)

  • Fixed: Course completion triggers stopped working in the latest updates.

Will Findlay

Philip Hutchison

Jul 27, 2020, 10:51:58 PM7/27/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com

Samantha Lowe

Jul 29, 2020, 12:57:04 AM7/29/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Lololol.
I came into work today and the articulate tech support told me to update.

Will Findlay

Jul 29, 2020, 9:55:59 AM7/29/20
to elearning-technolo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting it to Articulate support! I shudder at the thought of not catching this for a month or something.

Will Findlay