System locks up after watchdog timeout

Zeschg, Thomas

Feb 16, 2018, 4:10:50 AM2/16/18
to efibootg...@googlegroups.com, Kiszka, Jan
Hi,

I encountered the problem, that the system gets stuck after a watchdog timeout and no reboot/power cycle is performed. It seems like the efibootguard initializes the Intel TCO correctly, obviously the timeout value is the one I configured. I use a Fujitsu Server with the Intel C612 chipset.

A second problem is the iTCO_wdt kernel module. I get an error message when loading the module: "failed to reset NO_REBOOT flag, reboot disabled by hardware/BIOS". Maybe the two problems are related.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

With best regards,
Thomas Zeschg

Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITS SES-DE
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6, 81739 Muenchen, Germany

Jan Kiszka

Feb 16, 2018, 9:48:32 AM2/16/18
to Zeschg, Thomas (CT RDA ITS SES-DE), efibootg...@googlegroups.com
On 2018-02-16 10:10, Zeschg, Thomas (CT RDA ITS SES-DE) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I encountered the problem, that the system gets stuck after a watchdog timeout and no reboot/power cycle is performed. It seems like the efibootguard initializes the Intel TCO correctly, obviously the timeout value is the one I configured. I use a Fujitsu Server with the Intel C612 chipset.

Still need to look into that, namely the reference to
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/watchdog/iTCO_vendor_support.c
you mentioned offlist. We are likely missing those quirks...

What is the PCI ID of your board? Would Linux select a quirk?

> A second problem is the iTCO_wdt kernel module. I get an error message when loading the module: "failed to reset NO_REBOOT flag, reboot disabled by hardware/BIOS". Maybe the two problems are related.

If you boot without watchdog support (watchdog=0), does Linux still
complain?

Jan

Zeschg, Thomas

Feb 19, 2018, 2:26:06 AM2/19/18
to Kiszka, Jan, efibootg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The PCI ID of our board is 0x8d44. Linux selects the vendor specific support mode of 0 (none), which is the default value. The whole output of dmesg regarding iTCO is:
[ 12.574996] iTCO_vendor_support: vendor-support=0
[ 12.575764] iTCO_wdt: Intel TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v1.11
[ 12.575844] iTCO_wdt: unable to reset NO_REBOOT flag, device disabled by hardware/BIOS

I get the same result from Linux, when I use Grub to boot.

Best regards
Thomas

Jan Kiszka

Feb 19, 2018, 2:44:21 AM2/19/18
On 2018-02-19 08:26, Zeschg, Thomas (CT RDA ITS SES-DE) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The PCI ID of our board is 0x8d44. Linux selects the vendor specific support mode of 0 (none), which is the default value. The whole output of dmesg regarding iTCO is:
> [ 12.574996] iTCO_vendor_support: vendor-support=0
> [ 12.575764] iTCO_wdt: Intel TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v1.11
> [ 12.575844] iTCO_wdt: unable to reset NO_REBOOT flag, device disabled by hardware/BIOS
>
> I get the same result from Linux, when I use Grub to boot.

Then the BIOS is preventing the use of the watchdog in this machine. Did
you check if there are any configuration options in the BIOS that may
change this?

Zeschg, Thomas

Feb 19, 2018, 2:48:55 AM2/19/18
to Kiszka, Jan, efibootg...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I checked this, but there is nothing. Nevertheless I don't understand why the system gets stuck after the watchdog timeout.

Jan Kiszka

Feb 19, 2018, 4:50:56 AM2/19/18
On 2018-02-19 08:48, Zeschg, Thomas (CT RDA ITS SES-DE) wrote:
> Yes, I checked this, but there is nothing. Nevertheless I don't understand why the system gets stuck after the watchdog timeout.

BIOS is broken? That's way too common to be surprised. If there is no
update available, switch the hardware - sorry.