Sharing content between multiple courses?

Erik Van de Water

Oct 18, 2016, 9:33:42 AM10/18/16
to General Open edX discussion
I am trying to make multiple courses with highly similar but not quite the same content in each of them - each course is specialized to a specific audience. I have 3 audiences: account managers, accountants, and sales people, and each needs to share about 80% of core content, with about 20% being specific to the audience.

However, I don't want to do a bunch of rework to create these slightly different courses (i.e. have to create each course manually as if it is completely new as opposed to sharing the core content with the other courses).

What I have looked into:

  • Libraries - Seems to be only for randomized content/questions
  • Cohorts - Does not seem to provide distinction between different groups other than in discussions, automatic assignment seems arbitrary
  • Putting all content in one course and having students skip sections unrelated to their specific track - Not sure how grading works with this (can someone take the final without having gone through all course content, can there be different final exams for each kind of student?).  Also just a little less professional than I'd like (but this isn't a deal breaker, getting grading right would make this a good solution.
Thank you for any help! :)

Erik Van de Water

Oct 18, 2016, 9:38:04 AM10/18/16
to General Open edX discussion
Eucalyptus 2 release if that is relevant.

Andy Armstrong

Oct 18, 2016, 9:43:34 AM10/18/16
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erik,

Have you looked at using content groups to create cohort-specific content?

This allows you to tag different content in Studio as to be shown to different groups. The challenge with this approach is that the schemes currently available for cohorting mean that you will have to manually segment your users.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like more details.

 - Andy

Andy Armstrong

edX | UI Architect  | an...@edx.org

141 Portland Street, 9th floor

Cambridge, MA 02139

http://www.edx.org

http://www.e-learn.nl/media/blogs/e-learn/edX_Logo_Col_RGB_FINAL.jpg?mtime=1336074566

Erik Van de Water

Oct 18, 2016, 9:50:57 AM10/18/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hi Andy,

Thank you for the quick response :)

To implement your solution, I need one more question answered if you don't mind: Since automatic assignment is random, I can't use that, but I could do manual assignment.  Using manual assignment, would there be a way using edX to ask the learner which kind of user they are (account manager or accountant or sales person), or would that have to be done outside the platform, and then after they signed up and were assigned by me, they would be able to start learning?

Erik Van de Water

Oct 18, 2016, 11:21:03 AM10/18/16
to General Open edX discussion
Ok I found a good middleground.  I'll use an automatically assigned cohort to handle most of the sign ups and then use a manual assignment after for anyone that doesn't fit in the default bucket.

Thanks!