Can't access Open edX Studio?

Erik Van de Water

Oct 14, 2016, 10:45:31 AM10/14/16
to General Open edX discussion
I have a user set as staff using the Django admin panel.  But when I log into this account, the dashboard appears the same as that of a non-staff account (there are no buttons to create or edit a course).

Also, the course creator admin table that should be available at /admin/course_creators/coursecreator/ according to this page: https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/wiki/Controlling-course-creation-rights is not available (404 appears).  I'm not sure if these problems are related.

If you have any ideas, please share them.  This is essential to moving forward and my boss is already mad at me. :(
Message has been deleted

Bastiaan Franssen

Oct 14, 2016, 11:12:10 AM10/14/16
to General Open edX discussion
What type of installation are you using? Is it a full-stack or native installation? I assume they should be both the same, but can you also get access to the console? If so, you could try to give the user superuser credentials via the command prompt:

Go to: /edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform

Then:

sudo -u www-data /edx/bin/python.edxapp ./manage.py lms --settings aws shell

from django.contrib.auth.models import User
me = User.objects.get(username="user_name_of_the_user_you_want_to_be_super_user")
me.is_superuser = True
me.is_staff = True
me.save()

(Edit: forgot the command to get into the shell)

Erik Van de Water

Oct 14, 2016, 11:32:27 AM10/14/16
to General Open edX discussion
Thank you for the response Bastiaan. :)

I am on a native installation.  I used your commands and now the account has superuser privileges (in addition to the staff privileges it had).  Logging in on the front end, the dashboard unfortunately has not changed.  Also the course creator path still returns 404.

Is there perhaps a change I need to make in the admin panel to get Studio running?  Or a studio specific URL, like studio.edx.org is studio for edx partners?

Erik Van de Water

Oct 14, 2016, 2:20:33 PM10/14/16
to General Open edX discussion
Apparently studio is accessible on port 18010.

Bastiaan Franssen

Oct 15, 2016, 11:21:57 AM10/15/16
to General Open edX discussion
Sorry for the delay,

Happy to see you've found the port to access studio. The studio is available in two ways, via port 18010 or by clicking in the course content on "edit in studio". In case you've changed the parameters correctly in the lms.env.json and cms.env.json (or I believe server.yaml which covers everything), the studio will be accessible via the LMS also. I had a lot of issues, you need to understand the structure of open EdX very well for this to work well. In case you have more difficulties, let me know :-) (I also speak dutch, from what I see from your last name haha)

Erik Van de Water

Oct 17, 2016, 7:07:59 PM10/17/16
to General Open edX discussion
Haha unfortunately I can't speak dutch, just a last name.  Thank you for the help. :)

Jim Shingler

Apr 23, 2017, 5:23:39 PM4/23/17
to General Open edX discussion
K think I found a workaround