Online Office Hours / Hangouts - Starting March 8

John Mark Walker

Feb 28, 2018, 2:04:31 PM2/28/18
to General Open edX discussion

Friends, Romans, Oxford comma aficionados, and other learned peoples:

As I mentioned in my introduction to this list, I’ve been tasked with building out the Open edX community. I feel lucky to have the opportunity to work with everyone and build on the great community that you have all worked to establish.

What I want to do next is reboot our online office hours to discuss community-related topics:

  • Communication pathways: how we interact

  • Responsiveness: how we take and respond to feedback and contributions

  • Collaboration: how can we be more transparent and inclusive

  • Cool stuff: what’s next for Open edX?

Once upon a time, we did this on a regular basis, and I want to return to that model. Perhaps we can start once a month or every other week, depending on everyone’s schedules. If needed, we can also have separate special interest groups (SIG’s) to discuss specific topics in more detail. The devops SIG hangouts come to mind.

We’ll start each meetup with a theme or topic and then follow that up with open discussion. If you have something you’d like to present or discuss, such as something you’d like to see or something you’ve done that you want to let the world know about, tell us! We’ll happily put you on the agenda. I’ll issue a call for topics before each hangout, and we can then push topics to our Confluence wiki.

In this first meetup, I’d like to take time to discuss OEP’s, their importance to the Open edX project, and our recent changes to simplify the process. We can also get an update on the Hawthorn release.

We plan to schedule the next hangout on Thursday, March 8, 13:00 Eastern US / 10:00 Pacific US / 18:00 UTC. We’re looking at services for online conferencing, and we’re open to suggestions if you have a preference. I will follow up with a conference link early next week.

Looking forward to it! Please add your items to the agenda.

-John Mark Walker

Open edX Community Lead

John Mark

Mar 7, 2018, 7:57:49 PM3/7/18
to General Open edX discussion
Reminder! This is tomorrow at 13:00 Eastern US / 10:00 Pacific US / 18:00 UTC

We're going to try Zoom for this edition:

If you'd like to put something on the agenda, go to this link: