Expired EDX key while running apt-get update

Bastiaan Franssen

Dec 28, 2016, 3:13:46 PM12/28/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hi everybody,

Hope you've had great holidays! Since this week, I'm getting an error when I'm typing in the following command in terminal on ubuntu 12.04

sudo apt-get update -y

This is the error message I receive in the terminal:
W: GPG error: http://ppa.edx.org precise Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1481833680 KEYEXPIRED 1481833680 KEYEXPIRED 1481833680

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Cyrus Chan

Jan 13, 2017, 9:20:18 AM1/13/17
to General Open edX discussion
You can search for the latest signature at

For example, copy this signature to a file beginning from

apt-key add <filename>

Afzal Wali Naushahi

Mar 27, 2018, 9:42:33 AM3/27/18
to General Open edX discussion
The key can be updated by

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys <key_here>

so in this case, it is:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 69464050

output:

Executing: /tmp/tmp.npHxd5p5mh/gpg.1.sh --keyserver
--recv-keys
69464050
gpg: requesting key 69464050 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 69464050: "edX Inc. (edX PPA) <admi...@edx.org>" 2 new signatures
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:         new signatures: 2