SCORM Integration for Open edx

Eileen Christina Mercy Immanuel

Jan 24, 2015, 2:22:02 PM1/24/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Does Open Edx support scorm yet?

Brian Pitts

Jan 24, 2015, 7:17:48 PM1/24/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
To extend Eileen's question:
Does Open EdX support SCORM and/or xAPI (aka Tin Can Api, xAPI)?
If not why not and when?
Thanks!

Nate Aune

Jan 24, 2015, 10:31:49 PM1/24/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Open edX doesn't support SCORM natively, but we've built some integration with SCORMCloud and Open edX, so that you can add SCORM packages to SCORMCloud, and use them in an Open edX site via LTI.

Nate

Jordan Anastasiade

Jan 25, 2015, 8:38:55 PM1/25/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Nate,

Could you please elaborate a little bit more with details or documentation hints?

Thanks,
Jordan

Sarina Canelake

Jan 27, 2015, 9:21:51 AM1/27/15
to edx-code
If not why not and when?

Generally, if we don't have a feature available it is because our partners on edx.org haven't demanded the feature, and no one from the community has built it. As an open source project, Open edX enables you to build out your own features that you want but the codebase doesn't have.

As always if you're interested in building a large integration, please reach out to the mailing list in the very early stages of development. You might find partners to work with or that the feature you're interested in is actually something a group is already working on. At the very least, you can get key architectural questions sorted out and get guidance on how to build the feature.

Nate Aune

Jan 27, 2015, 10:18:42 PM1/27/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
We are using a 3rd party service called SCORMCloud. You can read more about the service at http://scormcloud.com. We upload the SCORM packages to SCORMCloud, and then configure SCORMCloud dispatch to serve them up as LTI components. Then we use the LTI component in edX to add these packages which are actually being hosted on SCORMCloud. The user doesn't need to login again as this is transmitted via LTI, and the activity is passed back into edX for grading purposes. I can write up a more detailed description of how it's all setup, if folks are interested.

Nate

Jordan Anastasiade

Jan 28, 2015, 6:43:02 AM1/28/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nate,

I would be greatly appreciated if you can  "write up a more detailed description of how it's all setup"

Thanks again,
Jordan
--
Jordan Anastasiade

Eileen Christina Mercy Immanuel

Feb 2, 2015, 8:41:42 PM2/2/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nate,
I am looking at using OpenEdx as an e-learning solution for software system training. Basically its for an ERP software which has guided simulations and test. This file is scorm compliant, so in addition to video files and text content, I will be using scorm compliant simulations as well.
Is there any limit to the scorm component size? Would appreciate it if you can do a detailed write up of how to get this done.
Regards,
Eileen

Rosie Sasso

Feb 5, 2015, 8:52:34 AM2/5/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nate,

I am interested in your detailed description.  Would I also be able to obtain a copy of your write-up?

Many thanks,

Rosie

Jordan Anastasiade

Feb 5, 2015, 1:06:30 PM2/5/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Yes Nate,

As I mentioned: it would be greatly appreciated if you can  write up a more detailed description of what you think we should know.

Best regards,
Jordan

Nate Aune

Feb 5, 2015, 4:40:38 PM2/5/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
ok, there have been enough requests for documenting SCORM integration with edX via LTI, that I'm going to prioritize this. I'll work on it this weekend and send out a mail to the list when I have something to show. Thanks everyone for your interest!

Nate

Anagha Mudigonda

Feb 10, 2015, 1:36:01 PM2/10/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Thats good to hear. We are looking for SCORM support too. Do you guys have plans for tincan too ?

Anagha Mudigonda

Feb 10, 2015, 1:41:45 PM2/10/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry. I misread. I had assumed that you were talking about adding SCORM support natively.

Nate Aune

Feb 15, 2015, 5:56:01 PM2/15/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com

Sorry. I misread. I had assumed that you were talking about adding SCORM support natively.

We are looking into that too, but so far it's just integration with SCORM Cloud.

Nate

Nate Aune

Feb 15, 2015, 6:26:04 PM2/15/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Well, this took a bit longer to write than I had expected, but here is a detailed blog post about how to add SCORM packages to edX using SCORM Cloud and LTI.

Leave a comment on the post or continue the conversation here. Feedback is most welcome!

Nate

Steven Vergenz

Feb 23, 2015, 3:10:03 PM2/23/15
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
I've written up a little daemon that watches the edX tracking log and publishes events as xAPI statements. It's not very robust, but it might work for your purposes with a little modification, Brian. https://github.com/adlnet/edx-xapi-bridge

Tad Staley

Mar 24, 2016, 11:10:15 AM3/24/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hi there -

I wanted to alert this community that we at Appsembler have a customer-funded open source project to create a SCORM xblock. The work is scheduled to take place in April, with a target completion of mid-May.

More details to come, but the customer has over 100 SCORM-based learning modules, most of which constitute an hour of learning (average size ~ 20mb). Each module is part of a multiple module course, and they want to make content available at module level as well as the course level.

Looking forward to sharing more info on the project, and seeing if there's broader interest here. If you think there's a better place to post this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tad

s.mo...@raccoongang.com

Mar 28, 2016, 8:45:29 AM3/28/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hi Tad,

SCORM xblock looks like a long-awaited thing :)
Please, share some details. It's not clear if you're looking for some help or what?

Tad Staley

Apr 4, 2016, 5:38:57 PM4/4/16
to General Open edX discussion

Hi there -

We would love a collaboration on this project - either (ideally) immediately as we are trying to get an MVP version completed in the short term. Longer term collaborations are also welcome: in other words, we're happy to have others build on the initial work.

Our most immediate need is to identify an ideally open source Scorm player that we can use for this effort. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have experience in Scorm development?

Thanks for your reply,

Tad

s.mo...@raccoongang.com

Apr 13, 2016, 7:06:24 PM4/13/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hi Tad,

Sorry for the late reply - missed the mail for some reason.

So with regards to SCORM player and our experience - we've created a SCORM player for one of our customers (not open edx, yet it's SCORM).
As far as i know there is no good or even not so good SCORM players around. And i think you (we?) will need to create it.

Our approach was not really a player of external SCORM content, but uploading SCORM objects to admin and converting them to some native idioms of the target LMS. After that we were thinking on creating some sort of a player but doing it properly requires huge effort - SCORM is a huge beast :)
What type of SCORM packages are we talking about?

s.mo...@raccoongang.com

Apr 20, 2016, 10:03:57 AM4/20/16
to General Open edX discussion
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

s.mo...@raccoongang.com

Apr 20, 2016, 10:11:47 AM4/20/16
to General Open edX discussion

Tad Staley

Apr 21, 2016, 2:40:01 PM4/21/16
to General Open edX discussion
Totally agree on the size and scope of creating a Scorm player! For the short term at least, we're looking at licensing a player (we need one that's full-featured), and wrapping it in an xblock that can manage the file upload, access and provide a small amount of course data.

s.mo...@raccoongang.com

Apr 22, 2016, 8:31:14 PM4/22/16
to General Open edX discussion
by full-featured what exactly do you mean? do you have a specific version in mind? or at least a set of test data?

Tim Robinson

May 5, 2016, 5:16:17 AM5/5/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hi all - thanks for this feed, it's been very useful as someone who is new to EdX. We're using the scorm method of getting files from Storyline to EdX and I'm trying to find out if there is a way of running Edx tests between scorm scenes? Does anyone have experience with this?

Nate Aune

Jun 8, 2016, 2:37:11 AM6/8/16
to General Open edX discussion
Just a follow-up to Tad's post from April, I'm happy to report that we've successfully extended the SCORM XBlock that Raccoon Gang mentioned earlier, and it now provides native SCORM support in Open edX (with the addition of a SCORM player)
It's not quite ready for public use, but you can read more about it here (with screenshots) http://bit.ly/25LixEG  and sign up to get notified when it's available for testing.

Nate

Nate Aune

Jun 26, 2016, 8:40:38 PM6/26/16
to General Open edX discussion
If you missed my lightning talk about the SCORM XBlock, I've posted the slides here (including a demo video):

Hopefully edX will publish the video recordings from the talks soon, and when they do, I'll update the blog post.

We also had a fruitful "Birds of a Feather" session at the conference, where we discussed the need to add SCORM capabilities to the core Open edX codebase, and there was also interest in transforming existing edX courses into a SCORM package for reusability of the content in other LMSes.

The SCORM XBlock is now running on a Dogwood Demo server, so if you're interested in testing it out, please reply to this, and I can get you set up with a course author account, so you can try adding your SCORM content to see how it works.

Nate

Indigo Camunda

Jul 20, 2017, 10:37:11 AM7/20/17
to General Open edX discussion
Hi Nate,
I would like to ask you about some features of the SCORM xblock that you have developed. I am currently working on the Open edX platform (Ficus release) and I am interested in integrating SCORM contents within a course. In particular, given that SCORM contents allow to track various kinds of data, is there a way for the edX LMS, through the scormxblock, to retrieve user interaction data so that they can be used either to provide an enhanced grading procedure, or to derive additional insights and analytics pertaining the learner's effort?

A few examples of user interaction data I am interested in tracking:
  • the amount of time it takes for the user to answer a given question in a MCQ assignement
  • how much time the user has spent watching a video lesson
  • ...

Thanks in advance for your support.

   Indigo

P.S. Actually, I don't know if this is the right place to post this question... if not, please redirect me to the correct forum/mailing list dedicated to this kind of technical questions.

Sergiy "COTOHA" Movchan

Jul 20, 2017, 6:02:39 PM7/20/17
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Indigo,

the answer is - no.
you can only get the grading info from the SCORM and that’s all you can get. Advanced stats are just not a part of a SCORM standard. You can build your grading algo in SCORM around these stats, though.

--
photo
Sergiy Movchan

Nate Aune

Jul 23, 2017, 6:32:26 PM7/23/17
to edx-...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Wilson
Sergiy is right that only grading info is recorded in edX, but afaik the other SCORM data (the amount of time it takes for the user to answer a given question, how much time the user has spent watching a video lesson, etc.) is actually sent back to edX, but since there's no place to store this data, it is discarded.

The SCORM XBlock could be extended to add database tables in which to store this info, and then a UI could be developed to display it in a meaningful way, but this data was not important for our customer, so building all this additional functionality was out-of-scope. But it could certainly be done.

Nate

Sergiy "COTOHA" Movchan

Jul 24, 2017, 4:11:11 AM7/24/17
to edx-...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Wilson
Here is what SCORM communicates back to LMS:
  • id: This is the number of the question in the quiz. It'll be in the format Question#_#. The first '#' is the question number. The second '#' is the number of the user's attempt. For example, Question 5_2 would designate the user's second attempt on the fifth question.
  • type: This is the type of question (True/False, Multiple Choice, Multiple Response, etc).
  • student_response: This is how the user answered the question.
  • correct_responses: This is the correct answer for the question.
  • result: This designates whether the user answered the question correctly or not.
  • weighting: _never seen it used_. It'll always be set to 1.
  • latency: This is how long it took the user to answer the question.
  • objective: _never seen it used_. It'll always be set to 0.

SCORM 2004 content also communicates the question text to an LMS.

While latency correlates to your "the amount of time it takes for the user to answer a given question”, the rest of the possible advanced stats like “clicks”, “how long student was watching a video”, etc. will require not only changes on LMS side, but changes to the SCORM standard itself.

Thus, i’d suggest to implement these (depending on the actual business needs) either as a complex grading procedure inside the SCORM or as a 3rd party tool which will get all the mentioned stats from the code within SCORM and pass it to LMS and/or custom dashboard. But this discussion needs some knowledge of the business needs...

--
photo
Sergiy Movchan
Smart Raccoon @ Raccoon Gang
+38 067 575 2327  | www.raccoongang.com

Bryan Wilson (Appsembler)

Jul 25, 2017, 6:10:30 PM7/25/17
to General Open edX discussion, br...@appsembler.com

Ivan, Sergiy

The Appsembler fork of SCORM XBlock (use use-ssla-player branch) works with a third-party, commercial player.  Using that, we do capture the full status of the SCORM package, including the `cmi.interactions` fields you mention here (id, type, student_response, correct_responses, result, weighting - we have seen it used, latency, time).  As Sergiy mentioned, latency is the amount of time it took for a student to answer the question.  To my knowledge, the SCORM standard doesn't support recording mouse clicks and interactions other than interacting with a problem.  Tin Can/xAPI can support that, but our XBlock only works with SCORM 1.2/2004.

As Nate mentioned, we haven't set up anything to do  advanced analytics using the full status captured on the instance of the SCORM XBlock, _but, it is available_ and it could be done, given interest and time.

Mahendra Chaudhari

May 26, 2019, 8:03:45 PM5/26/19
to General Open edX discussion
Hi All,

I have integrated raccoongang scorm xblock from: https://github.com/raccoongang/edx_xblock_scorm

Now i want to stop user to access next unit until they complete current scorm content. Yes, here i'm able to get user progress in scorm content.

Can anyone suggest me what i need to do for this type of restrictions ?

I have also used flow control xblock(https://github.com/eduNEXT/flow-control-xblock) but it's only work for problem type component.

Abdul Moeez Zahid

May 27, 2019, 1:54:19 AM5/27/19
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mahendra,

Edx Hawthorn release already has progress gating implemented. If you're using hawthorn, how about you apply progress gating on the module?

In case you're using an older version of the devstack, I'll suggest updating your devstack to hawthorn.
If you feel uncomfortable updating, you can also go for a javascript solution to disable navigation arrows on the module page in case an incomplete scormxblock is presented on the module page. This approach however, will not restrict the user from accessing the next module/lesson from url or lesson list.

Best,
Moeez

The content of this email and attachment(s) are confidential and intended solely for the recipient(s) specified in the message. If you received this email by error, please alert the sender by replying to this email and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such an error does not occur in future. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited to use, copy, disseminate or store this email or its attachment(s).

Mahendra Chaudhari

May 27, 2019, 5:04:02 AM5/27/19
to General Open edX discussion
Hi Abdul,

Thanks for your response.

I'm using hawthorn version. In hawthorn i'm also able to get progress of every module, but edx count module is completed when user open scorm content. Edx has no matter with user had played slide, video, content in scorm.
Also there are all unit links given in course landing page, So how can restrict user to access any unit from url without complete previous unit.?

On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 12:52:02 AM UTC+5:30, Eileen Christina Mercy Immanuel wrote:
Hi, Does Open Edx support scorm yet?

Sergiy Movchan

May 27, 2019, 5:43:40 AM5/27/19
to General Open edX discussion
this means that your SCORM content is not graded properly (it should be based on test result, not on "open/not open" count).
scorm_xblock gets internals SCORM grade and passes it to Open edX.

Mahendra Chaudhari

May 28, 2019, 1:38:18 PM5/28/19
to General Open edX discussion
Hi Sergiy,

I have configured scorm content in graded and i'm also able to get progress on playing every slide in scorm content(attached screenshot). But I want restrict user to access next unit until he/she complete current scorm content. Also i want to restrict with url i mean user can't open any unit without compete previous unit.

Thanks
Scorm in Unit.png

Sergiy Movchan

May 28, 2019, 6:17:33 PM5/28/19
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abdul,

Edx Hawthorn release already has progress gating implemented. If you're using hawthorn, how about you apply progress gating on the module?

Could you, please, elaborate on this? Maybe links to the documentations, etc - can't find anything :(

The only gating mechanisms i can see in my hawthorn instance are subsection prerequisites and cohort-specific content.

--
photo
Sergiy Movchan