Disable Studio Sign Up

Daniel McQuillen

Mar 14, 2016, 7:35:11 PM3/14/16
to General Open edX discussion
Apologies if the answer to this question is obvious. Is there a configuration that turns off the "Sign Up" button and methods in studio?

This has been asked before in the forum, without an answer (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/edx-code/Q_KMNd3rDpU/bwxP5EPkmMgJ).

A check of cms.env.json doesn't seem to show a env variable that would turn off sign ups. Is it a matter of manually pulling out the UI and server API methods for sign up process? There is the ENABLE_COMBINED_LOGIN_REGISTRATION variable, but I'm not sure of the meaning behind "COMBINED."

Thanks.

Daniel McQuillen

Mar 14, 2016, 7:56:05 PM3/14/16
to General Open edX discussion
A similar question is also asked here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/edx-code/rkTal_Vtgt8/btZKGYCBFgAJ

Seems like the existing docs aren't clear on how to manage course creation rights or turn off cms sign ups entirely.

Are there any manual steps anybody is using for this purpose? Thanks for any thoughts.

Ki Hwan Song

Mar 14, 2016, 8:32:50 PM3/14/16
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
I'd try HTTP Basic Auth to studio.* if all else fails

Ki Hwan Song
송기환

Daniel McQuillen

Mar 14, 2016, 8:46:56 PM3/14/16
to General Open edX discussion
Thanks for the suggestion, Juanito. Might just do that.

I've set "DISABLE_COURSE_CREATION" : true in my cms.env.json, but that still allows arbitrary sign ups, and those users can still create "Libraries" even if they can't create courses.

Using HTTP Basic Auth is serviceable, but then existing users have to sign in twice, which isn't ideal.

- Daniel

abhi...@nextbig3d.com

Aug 15, 2016, 9:39:41 AM8/15/16
to General Open edX discussion
How do i go about enabling HTTP Basic Auth for studio? Any pointers or docs you can help me with?

- Abhilash

Ki Hwan Song

Aug 15, 2016, 10:03:49 AM8/15/16
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
in /edx/app/nginx/sites-available/cms

location / {

     auth_basic            "Restricted";
     auth_basic_user_file  /edx/app/nginx/nginx.htpasswd;

}

Stuart O'Day

Aug 15, 2016, 1:54:09 PM8/15/16
to General Open edX discussion
This is how I did it:

sudo apt-get install apache2-utils

Then to create the file,

sudo htpasswd -c /edx/app/nginx/.htpasswd <username>

Then,

sudo htpasswd /edx/app/nginx/.htpasswd <usermame>

Then follow @Juanito update of the cms file to Restrict

Then,

sudo service nginx reload

herei...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2018, 12:13:49 PM2/8/18
to General Open edX discussion
Hi, I am also having similar issue. Have you been able to disable the sign up for studio?