Self-managed course creation

Erik Van de Water

Oct 11, 2016, 2:00:48 PM10/11/16
to General Open edX discussion
I may have some confusion about some basics of how self-managed edX installations work.  The documentation hasn't solved the problem.

First, I suppose, is where I create courses.  Do I create courses on my installation or using the studio provided by studio.edge.edx.org?

If I create it locally, how do I create a course?  When I created a superuser, it still appeared as a student (the dashboard did not provide an option to create a course, only take the default course).

If instead I create it in the studio provided at studio.edge.edx.org, how do I host it on my own server?

Thank you for the help!

Adam Chng

Oct 12, 2016, 11:39:04 AM10/12/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hi Erik, I'm a newbie myself.

You can use the studio to create courses. If you run your own edx site, there should be a studio you can use to create courses, I think it's http://yoursite.com/edx-studio

If you create courses in the studio.edge.edx.org site, you can export the course out as a gzip tarball. Then you just login to your local edx server as the admini and import the course.

There's a lot of documentation to read through.

Best!
Adam