Configure bulk emails

Andreas Weigert

Sep 14, 2017, 4:49:46 PM9/14/17
to General Open edX discussion
Hello everybody,

I am running the current gingo release of edX and try to enable bulk mailing.

I already activated bulk email in the cms site by editing django.

Now when I send a bulk email, I get always sending errors and it fails.

I changed in the config of cms (cms.env.json) and of the lms (lms.env.json) the mail address for "BULK_EMAIL_DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL".
Sending activiation mails works in the registration process. I configured sucessfully the activation mail after registration of students or staff for the lms and the cms.

So I don`t know which option is still missing.

I hope somebody can help me?

Best regards
Andreas Weigert

Liubov Fomicheva

Sep 15, 2017, 6:14:20 AM9/15/17
to General Open edX discussion
Hello Andreas,

Could you share the logs describing email sending errors?
When I'd been testing bulk emails for our project (dogwood release), I found out that "from" email is composed from BULK_EMAIL_DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL setting and course abbreviation, hence it could be rejected by some mailing services (I suppose Amazon SES supports such "from" addresses).

Kind regards,
  Liubov.

Neville D'Souza

Apr 5, 2018, 4:17:59 AM4/5/18