Expected certificate engine behaviour

mr...@teltek.es

Sep 14, 2016, 7:15:11 AM9/14/16
to General Open edX discussion, Vicente Goyanes, Bruno Seoane
As my previous email may be somewhat hard to read, I'll rephrase it.

The release I'am using is Dogwood with no changes to the platform with "AUTOMATIC_VERIFY_STUDENT_IDENTITY_FOR_TESTING": true,.

My role in this case is as a student.
  1. I enroll in a course as 'honor'
    1. I pass the course
    2. I generate my certificate as 'honor' in the progress page
    3. I access to my web/HTML certificate and it's 'honor'
  2. I upgrade to 'verify' enrollment
    1. I proceed to payment to obtain the 'verify' certificate
    2. My identity is approved using the django command by an admin user
    3. I access to my certificate and it's still 'honor'
Is this the expected behaviour?

Thank you.

LIubov Fomicheva

Sep 20, 2016, 5:40:02 AM9/20/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hello,

If you'd already generated your certificate, its mode (honor) is fixed and won't change even if you verify your identity. Have you tried to regenerate it?

Kind regards,
Liubov

mr...@teltek.es

Sep 20, 2016, 5:51:55 AM9/20/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hi LLubov and thanx for answering.

As a student there is no way to regenerate the certificate. That is the problem.

As an administrator of course it is possible with the django console command 'regenerate_user'.

But what it doesn't make sense for a student that has the SelfGenerated Certificate button enabled is that the student generates 'honor' certificate, pays to be 'verified' and the button of generating certificate in progress page is still in view mode (See Certificate) instead of allowing the student to regenerate the certificate, as long as the student now is in 'verified' mode and the already generated certificate is 'honor' mode.

I think this is a bug in the platform. Because the student has paid for a 'verified' certificate and only has an 'honor' certificate. What do you think?

Best regards,
Mercedes Rey.

Liubov Fomicheva

Sep 21, 2016, 6:56:55 AM9/21/16
to General Open edX discussion
Hello Mercedes,

I can't say that's a bug, just not fully explained behaviour. May be self-generating mechanism lacks some instructions/confirmations, but I suppose either verification deadline comes before the moment when student can get enough points to earn certificate (usual pace) or he/she may write to tech support asking for regeneration (self-paced courses).

It's interesting to know the point of view of the system developers, can anybody add something?

Kind regards,
Liubov.