Catching Up

Edith Cook

Aug 31, 2021, 5:59:37 PM8/31/21
to edith-cook
Hello, Friends and Readers!

I hope you had a summer without Covid so that this message finds you well.

Here is the latest news from my corner of the woods:

Surgery on my left shoulder was originally for September 14 but has been postponed because the hospitals are full of Covid patients. Let's hope it goes through; I have a hard time playing guitar, my shoulders hurt so bad--yes, both of them.

On another matter, my Zoom discussion group is set to resume. We'll hear about Where the Crawdads Sing, a novel,

and in nonfiction The Secret Life of Groceries: The Dark Miracle of the American Supermarket

and Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: America's Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing.

I'm just now reading The Kidnapping Club: Wall Street, Slavery, and Resistance on the Eve of the Civil War. It's a challenging read.

If you can't join my Zoom I hope you'll consider reading one or the other of these.

Finally, I have begun writing opinions for the online version of the Cheyenne Post. Here is the latest, dated August 25 and titled "Prisoners of the Past." You may view it here:

Edith Cook

www.edithcook.com

Lynne Sootheran

Aug 31, 2021, 6:02:02 PM8/31/21
to edith...@googlegroups.com
I read where the craydad's sing and I liked it.Lynne

S. T. Kotowicz

Aug 31, 2021, 11:39:30 PM8/31/21
to edith...@googlegroups.com
Edith, It sounds like you are doing well, except for the shoulders! You may have heard about CFD Super Spreader event that took place in Cheyenne? And now the COVID numbers are up? Probably not a coincidence, no one was wearing a mask, it was like there was no world-wide Pandemic going on! And that event was followed by another event the Bikee rally in Sturgis, SD. No one was wearing masks there either! No surprises! I hope your surgery is planned for Ft. Collins or further south?

I read Where the Crawdads Sing a couple months ago and consider it an awesome read! I highly recommend it!

Susan Kotowicz

- "There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved: It is God's finger on man's shoulder." ~Charles Morgan Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. -The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ~ Albert Einstein

Carol Sowards

Sep 1, 2021, 7:32:42 PM9/1/21
to edith...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edith,
  So when does the book discussion group begin?  I know you told me, although I'm wondering if I missed the Zoom link and you show it somewhere else.
  Sorry to hear about the postponement of your shoulder operation.  Pain is not fun.
  Having read The Choice at your suggestion,  I found it not surprising that you would write the piece you have including so much of what Edith Eger conveys.  As everything else you write, well said.
  It looks like I'll likely be heading to Boulder in November some time.  I'll keep this brief as I see it's going to Google Groups.
~Carol