Holiday Greetings

Edith Cook

Nov 28, 2021, 11:04:57 AM11/28/21
to edith-cook

Hello, Friends and Readers!

Thanksgiving has come and gone--I spent it in California, on the return leg now--and we're slip-sliding into the holiday season. Make it a good one, and please continue your diligence re the Covid virus.

Many of you signed up for this google group when I wrote weekly columns for the Telegram-Tribune (usually reprinted in the Casper Star-Tribune) and I incorporated the write-ups in my emails to you.

Currently the Cheyenne Post runs my columns in its online edition. If you are curious about them, you may go to www.thecheyennepost.com and type my name into its search engine. It'll bring you to my essays, opinions, and accounts of personal experiences.

In an earlier email mentioned my discussion group, which has been a (sometimes startling) experience of learning new information. For example, I learned about sharing what we are all about from reading and discussing Justin Lee’s Talking Across the Divide. The author proposes that we do not change the minds of people whose ideas are opposed to ours by arguing our points; what we should do instead is share ourselves by formulating and telling our stories—yes, even an opinion can be cast into a story. One of our participants has been reading Jim Palmer’s Inner Anarchy: Dethroning God and Jesus to Save Ourselves and the World and shared some of Palmer’s ideas. That evening I myself focused on certain details of the Satanic Verses, both the actual verses excised from the Koran and the fictional ones Salman Rushdie worked up in his novel.

We recently viewed and discussed Tanya Salih’s “Violin Tribute,” a video that centers on Elijah McClain’s spurious arrest and death in Aurora, Colorado, in 2019. McClain was 23, a Black massage therapist and aspiring violinist. If you go to The Wall Street Journal of Oct. 19, 2021, you'll find there Jennifer Calfas’s article, “Elijah McClain’s Family Reaches Settlement With Aurora, Colorado,” accompanied by a picture of the young man.

Finally, here’s a word about Anita Hill's recent publication, Believing, which combines personal narrative with investigative reporting on gender violence. It’s available in the library. You’ll be amazed at what you'll discover about the writer and her concerns when you peruse Hill's account.

Edith Cook

www.edithcook.com

Carol Sowards

Dec 1, 2021, 12:40:55 PM12/1/21
to edith...@googlegroups.com
Edith,
  Thanks for these updates--especially since I missed the last gathering.  I'll expect to tune in again this coming Monday.
  In the meantime, hope your Thanksgiving was enjoyable!  We had a nice one here in the Village with about fourteen attending, since many chose to gather in smaller groups.
~Carol