Guralp Scream on Raspberry Pi 3

cellectronic

Jan 26, 2018, 6:28:28 PM1/26/18
to Earthworm Community Forum
Hi All

Is anyone running Scream on the Raspberry Pi 3 ?
This is something I wish to do now and am looking for advice on installation.
I have EW running on the RPi 3 which is using Scream2EW to sniff data from a Windows laptop via a local network and my hope is to migrate the whole system from the laptop to the RPi 3.
Thanks for any advice.

cellectronic

Feb 6, 2018, 6:14:06 PM2/6/18
to Earthworm Community Forum
Help required please..
I am trying to install Scream 4.5 on the Raspberry Pi,3 with not much luck so far.
Is anyone willing to help with some support ?
many thanks.

El Berto

Feb 7, 2018, 3:32:49 AM2/7/18
to Earthworm Community Forum
But... did you got Scream from Guralp in source files?
Or is there available specific version for Raspberry?

Steve Shuff

Feb 7, 2018, 3:42:04 AM2/7/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Hi ..
 yes, downloaded the .tar file from Guralp,
 I have looked for a specific version for the Raspberry but not found one.

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 8:32 AM, El Berto <ra.crs....@gmail.com> wrote:
But... did you got Scream from Guralp in source files?
Or is there available specific version for Raspberry?

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

Steve Shuff.

El Berto

Feb 7, 2018, 3:56:16 AM2/7/18
to Earthworm Community Forum

As I can see from Guralp website, Scream is only available for x86 (32 or 64bits) architecture.
You should check Makefile (I suppose there is one), and check installation steb-by-step to discover missing packages you need to install.

Michele Bertoni

Feb 7, 2018, 5:16:14 AM2/7/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I've found Scream 4.5, but I see there are only executables and not source.
So I can't se anyway to run Scream on Raspberry due executables are already compiled for i686 architecture.

Steve Shuff

Feb 7, 2018, 5:51:34 AM2/7/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
There is a Linux version in a .tar  which I have downloaded.
The folder  contains amongst others some  Bin files along with a .sh file.

--
Steve Shuff.

Michele Bertoni

Feb 7, 2018, 5:54:16 AM2/7/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Of course. That's why (in my opinion) there is no way to run Scream on Raspberry.

Larry Cochrane

Feb 7, 2018, 6:33:26 PM2/7/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
If Scream runs under Linux Wine you may be able to run the program on a Raspberry PI
using a i386 Emulator and Wine. I have played around with the ExaGear Desktop
(https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/) and my WinSDR and WinQuake Windows
based programs. They run surprisingly well on a Raspberry PI 3 board. The emulator
for the PI 3 costs around $30.00USD.

Regards,
Larry Cochrane
Redwood City Public Seismic Network

On 2/7/2018 2:54 AM, Michele Bertoni wrote:
> Of course. That's why (in my opinion) there is no way to run Scream on Raspberry.
>
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Steve Shuff <steves...@gmail.com
> <mailto:steves...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> There is a Linux version in a .tar  which I have downloaded.
> The folder  contains amongst others some  Bin files along with a .sh file.
>

> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Michele Bertoni <ra.crs....@gmail.com
> <mailto:ra.crs....@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Ok, I've found Scream 4.5, but I see there are only executables and not source.
> So I can't se anyway to run Scream on Raspberry due executables are already
> compiled for i686 architecture.
>
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 9:56 AM, El Berto <ra.crs....@gmail.com
> <mailto:ra.crs....@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> As I can see from Guralp website, Scream is only available for x86 (32 or
> 64bits) architecture.
> You should check Makefile (I suppose there is one), and check
> installation steb-by-step to discover missing packages you need to install.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
> <http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en>
>
> ---
> "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
> email to earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
> <http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en>
>
> ---
> "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
> email to earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Steve Shuff.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
> <http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en>
>
> ---
> "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
> to earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm
> Community Forum" group.
> earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com>.

Larry Baker

Feb 7, 2018, 6:35:55 PM2/7/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com, Larry Baker
Or, look at the really tiny x86 sticks and boxes Intel has now.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
ba...@usgs.gov

A Ferris

Feb 7, 2018, 6:55:10 PM2/7/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Or look at gcf2ew. I've successfully pulled in data from 5 6TDs over WiFi to a Pi.

Aaron

           <mailto:earthworm_fo...@googlegroups.com>

   <mailto:earthworm_forum@googlegroups.com>

   For more options, visit this group at
   http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
   <http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en>
   "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

   <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

Angel Rodriguez

Feb 9, 2018, 2:34:30 PM2/9/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I run scream on over wine on a beagelbone.  You should check out Exagear at https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/.

Angel

www.osop.com.pa/tour/

More doesn't scale forever, except maybe with seismometers.

Steve Shuff

Feb 9, 2018, 3:05:53 PM2/9/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Angel,
Good to hear from you.

I am over that hurdle now and working on the next one !
Scream2ew did the job nicely , I was over complicating things as usual by trying to run scream !

I am now trying to get the Raspberry to upload the gif files that EW creates onto my website, Looking at lftp seems complex so am now trying rsync and cron  but am not sure if rsync will try to upload the whole folder each time (15 minutes) or just the updated heli gif ?

Stefan Lisowski

Feb 9, 2018, 4:44:36 PM2/9/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Rsync typically uploads only new files and I bet it'll work for you with
no additional params.

You can decrease the chances of retransfer of the same files with
something like --size-only if it doesn't seem to be doing what you want.

On 2/9/2018 3:05 PM, Steve Shuff wrote:
> [...]
>
> ---
> Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
> it, send an email to
> earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
> <http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en>
>
> ---
> Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
> send an email to earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Steve Shuff.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
>
> ---
> Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

Steve Shuff

Feb 9, 2018, 5:23:22 PM2/9/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Stefan
Thanks for your input.
As I read around on the net rsync is un-capable of transferring files via ftp,, Or am I misunderstanding something ?

    <ra.crs....@gmail.com <mailto:ra.crs.inogs.it@gmail.com>> wrote:

[...]

                    To post to this group, send an email to

                    earthworm_forum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
                    <mailto:earthworm_forum%2Bunsubsc...@googlegroups.com>

                    For more options, visit this group at
                    http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
                    <http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en>

                    ---
                    You received this message because you are subscribed
                    to the Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
                    emails from it, send an email to
                    earthworm_forum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
                    <mailto:earthworm_forum+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.

                    For more options, visit
[...]

Stefan Lisowski

Feb 12, 2018, 10:00:09 AM2/12/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
I typically use rsync over ssh. Can you use ssh or unprompted ssh?

On 2/9/2018 5:23 PM, Steve Shuff wrote:
> [...]
> earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_forum%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_forum%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
> <http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en>
>
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
> send an email to earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_forum%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Steve Shuff.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
>
> ---
> Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

Steve Shuff

Feb 12, 2018, 11:24:33 AM2/12/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Having read about  the transfer protocol my for my web site it would appear it is an FTP site only.
I guess my next move is to try lftp.

        <mailto:earthworm_forum%252Bunsubs...@googlegroups.com>>

[...]

Stefan Lisowski

Feb 12, 2018, 11:33:18 AM2/12/18
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Can you use sftp? If so csync might work for you: https://www.csync.org

(Disclaimer: I haven't used csync myself yet, but there's one project
where I was thinking I'd try it.)

- stefan

On 2/12/2018 11:24 AM, Steve Shuff wrote:
> [...]
>
> ---
> Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
> it, send an email to
> <mailto:earthworm_forum%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
> <http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en>
>
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.
> send an email to earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:earthworm_forum%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Steve Shuff.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/earthworm_forum?hl=en
>
> ---
> Groups "Earthworm Community Forum" group.

David Crooks

Apr 27, 2021, 11:34:00 AM4/27/21
to Earthworm Community Forum
Glad to hear you're able to pull data from 6TD's onto a Pi using gcf2ew.  I'm completely new to Earthworm - I have literally just compiled it on my Pi.  Could you say a little more about how you achieved this please, such as, what other modules were required and how did you set up the 6TDs?

Thanks very much for your help.

David

[...]

Mitchell M Withers (mwithers)

Apr 27, 2021, 11:42:51 AM4/27/21
to Earthworm Community Forum

It's getting a little bit dated but this is still a good place to start. There are links in section 5 to two examples.
http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/ew-doc/USER_GUIDE/Inst_config_guide.htm

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and trust the content is safe.

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 23:55:10 UTC Ferris wrote:
Or look at gcf2ew. I've successfully pulled in data from 5 6TDs over WiFi to a Pi.

Aaron

On Feb 7, 2018 6:35 PM, "Larry Baker" <ba...@usgs.gov> wrote:
Or, look at the really tiny x86 sticks and boxes Intel has now.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608<tel:(650)%20329-5608>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com<mailto:earthworm_for...@googlegroups.com>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/5f9edb14-9d25-4e54-8949-6d502582e5b2n%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/earthworm_forum/5f9edb14-9d25-4e54-8949-6d502582e5b2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Crooks

Apr 29, 2021, 5:17:48 PM4/29/21
to Earthworm Community Forum
Thanks Mitchell, appreciate you getting back to me.  I'll have a play about after working through the config guide and come back if I get stuck at any particular errors.

Cheers,

David

Steve Shuff

Apr 30, 2021, 3:38:44 AM4/30/21
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Just as a matter of interest,  what is the latest version of EW that has been installed on  Pi 3, ..(Raspbian)
I currently use 7.7 but in the near future I may well upgrade EW  version.

David Crooks

May 10, 2021, 9:37:23 AM5/10/21
to Earthworm Community Forum
Hi Cellectronic, I'm afraid I can't say as I've not got Earthworm running successfully yet.  If it helps you, I've tried a couple of versions (7.7, 7.8 and 1.10) and been able to compile quite a few of the module executables for each, but still haven't been able to compile an executable for gcf2ew yet.

Can anyone who's had success running gcf2ew on a pi let me know how they compiled it please?  I've attached the text relating to gcf2ew that comes up when I execute make unix.

Thanks for your help.

David

gcf2ew_compiling_text.txt

Steve Shuff

May 12, 2021, 3:32:53 AM5/12/21
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
David,
There is a module Scream2EW which I once used on a PI without any problem.
Not sure if it would help in your case .

Regards.

--
Steve Shuff.

David Crooks

May 14, 2021, 5:48:27 AM5/14/21
to Earthworm Community Forum
Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have the same problem you had back in 2018.  I'm trying to do everything on the Raspberry Pi 3 but can't get Scream to run on it so was hoping to bypass it with gcf2ew.  How did you get past this, did you keep Scream running on on your Windows laptop?

Cheers,

David

Steve Shuff

May 14, 2021, 7:35:08 AM5/14/21
to earthwo...@googlegroups.com
Hi David ,
I used Scream2EW module, you can point the module to the IP address of the network on which your digitiser is on . It will also accept an named address as in myip.com for example. hope that helps let me know how you get on,
Is the digitiser on your local network or remote ?