My letter in today's Globe

Frank de Jong

Oct 14, 2020, 8:03:55 AM10/14/20
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Re Is There A Problem Spending Can’t Solve? Yes – Canada’s Unsustainable Deficit

(Opinion, Oct. 10): As COVID-19 continues to ravage the country, raising income, business or sales taxes would only further pummel the already-damaged economy. Rather, government should consider Milton Friedman’s suggestion that the least damaging tax is one applied to the unimproved value of land.

A land-value tax would capture the unearned wealth that accrues to land – wealth that should belong to all and be best used to finance government programs.

Frank de Jong Director, Henry George Foundation of Canada; Huntsville, Ont.

brendan hennigan

Oct 14, 2020, 10:13:43 AM10/14/20
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Frank,
Good for you for getting a "to the point" letter in the Globe and mentioning the HGFC.
Any related articles on which taxes are best for a sustainable economic recovery ought to be posted on our eathsharing website.
Regards,
Brendan

Oct 16, 2020, 11:15:49 AM10/16/20
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. I posted a comment on the letters page  - Frank de Jong pinpointed an enormous oversite in Economics. Adam Smith made this point in 1776.

“I don’t like that man. I must get to know him better.  (Abraham Lincoln)

BGHearns

Oct 20, 2020, 3:20:54 PM10/20/20
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that it only took a day before someone replied with the spectre of Communism to your letter. Black and white thinking that permeates our discourse, and has increasingly permeated all public discourse of a wide range of topics, since the 1970s.

Bruce