Fwd: Celebrate Inclusivity in Children's Books with the British Library

Stuart Scott

Sep 12, 2022, 5:23:15 AM9/12/22
to EAL-Bilingual
I am forwarding an email from UKLA re inclusive books. I really recommend what UKLA have to offer. They have not gone over to the fonics dark side and their work is well founded in good practice and sound research. They support local initiatives.
Stuart
Collaborative Learning Project. A teacher network sharing talk for learning resources.
17 Barford Street, London N1 0QB 44 207 226 8885

Sep 12, 2022, 6:32:53 AM9/12/22
to Stuart Scott, EAL-Bilingual, childre...@bl.uk

Thank you Stuart for forwarding this.

We will make contact with UKLA team.

May I take this opening to introduce our publication list  this year. As usual the titles are in at least 15 dual language editions, including Ukrainian, Dari, Pashto

We have two categories for this year:

‘IFeel’ category of 5 books which will resonates with children and their families as first generations in UK.

All these titles come with teachers notes, curtesy of EMAS Rochdale:
Happy After All (missing the home I left, family and friends.)
Biscuit Moon (scarcity and conflict, illusions and starting out in search of a new life.) Anthropomorphic

When Nani When (value of patience, time cycles through seasons) pub date November 2022

Raag, the red-striped Zebra (about anger and learning to manage it) Anthropomorphic, pub date November 2022

Squirrel Monkey (big feelings and how meditative breathing can help find solutions) Anthropomorphic

Sunita Series of 3 titles in many dual language editions, as usual including Ukrainian, Dari, Pashto. The category is for second or third generation children from immigrant families. Sunita does not have the issues from the IFeel ‘New’ category. She is much more confident and at home with her school, friends and neighbours.

Sunita at the Zoo (school outing with animals and action) pub date October 2022

Sunita makes Friends (relating to elderly people next door) pub date October 2022

Sunita’s Special Day (playing with friends and experiencing Halloween) pub date Sept 2022

Two other titles:

Walking through my neighbourhood, what do you see (title provisional due to US spelling restrictions. Alternatives most welcome!!) (a point and see and reinforce words with pictures in familiar settings such as the open air market, the park, the fairground,….) pub date December 2022

The Fall “ What’s that message?” a dual language graphic novel for late primary, early secondary with QR codes. Pub date November 2022

Book of Dual Language Metaphors (Many languages have beautiful and powerful metaphors. This series helps to expand the range of English metaphors!) pub date Feb 2023

Best wishes

Robene

uk.mantralingua.com     usa.mantralingua.com   www.penfriendlabeller.com  discoverypen.co.uk

--
This group is managed by NALDIC, the UK's EAL Professional Association. Please visit our website for further information: www.naldic.org.uk. Twitter: @EAL_naldic. NALDIC's Privacy Policy | https://naldic.org.uk/privacy-policy

National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
A Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee in England and Wales. Charity No 1110570. Company No 05159760
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EAL-Bilingual" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eal-bilingual/CAEp7rSmnNPek1AOXNqd35wL8temN1Pc%3D_daQUPVEu9AeJ-ygcg%40mail.gmail.com.

Diane Leedham

Sep 12, 2022, 8:04:49 AM9/12/22
to Robene Dutta, Stuart Scott, EAL-Bilingual, childre...@bl.uk
Thank you for sharing, Stuart.

All the authors are excellent but I would particularly like to draw attention to Joanna Brown.
She was a Primary teacher before becoming Education Officer at the Royal Africa Society for an extended period, doing fabulous outreach and education work too extensive to itemise - but with special mention to Africa Writes and British Library activities/events (including partnerships with LATE).

This is her first work of fiction so even if you can’t do please look out for it. I believe her second is completed and close to publication too.

Best wishes

Di Leedham

On 12 Sep 2022, at 11:32, Robene Dutta <rob...@mantralingua.com> wrote:

image001.png

Dear UKLA Members

Please find below a message from Andrea Varney, the National Outreach Manager at the British Library, about their autumn campaign for primary school children.

Best wishes

The UKLA Team

image002.png

[...]

image003.png