Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART)

Pili Fdez

Oct 2, 2017, 11:07:02 AM10/2/17
to E-Prime
Hi everyone!

My research team is designing an experiment on risk taking, in which we will concrectly need to use the Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART). Searching for the internet I've found several demos for PsychoPy and Inquisit Lab, but I would need to have the task for e-prime, because I need to connect e-prime with other programs to stream data.

Reading some papers about BART and risk-taking I found this citation:

"McFarlane, D. K. (2008). Balloon Analogue Risk Task in E-Prime 2.0

Available online at: http://psychology.msu.edu/lcdlab/programs/index.html"

but the link does not work... So I was wondering if somenoe could give me access to the task in e-prime, maybe someone could share it with me. My programming skills are very limited and we're doing the experiment very soon.

I hope you can help me,

Thanks in advance

Kinds regards,

Pilar.

David McFarlane

Oct 3, 2017, 3:12:28 PM10/3/17
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
I sent my BART materials to Pilar. This has come up a couple times, so
I will take this opportunity to post some notes & explanation.

That old link for the program went to a web page for the P.I. on that
project, and that faculty member left here several years ago. We just
did a major update of our departmental website, which took that page
down. I don't really have another way to share that material, so best
to e-mail me or any of the authors directly. The original citation for
that work is Pleskac, T. J., & Wershbale, A. (2014). Making assessments
while taking repeated risks: A pattern of multiple response pathways.
Journal of Experimental Psychology: General,
psycnet.apa.org/record/2012-35010-001 .

Users cannot count on me to give any support for the BART program.
Users may find a few notes at the thread at
groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/9MySHSj4MDc . As it says there, with
what I have learned about E-Prime since then, I probably would program
that a little differently today.

I made that program using E-Prime 2.0.8.22. If opened in any recent
version of E-Prime, the file will have to be converted to the newer EP
version, which E-Studio will do. Sometimes programs break when
converted to a newer version. Actually, when I opened it myself in
EP2.0.10.356 the program failed to pump the balloon, but that was just
because the last person to program this switched the "Pump" key to "v",
and the "Stop" key to "n", and did not update the instructions in the
program. So the program will work "out of the box", but users will have
to at least make the keys & instructions match.

Even if it does work "out of the box", more recent versions of EP have
improved facilities that were not available in the earlier version, so
users would do well to go through the program and bring it up to modern
standards. (As a general rule, you should be very wary of treating
anybody else's program as a "black box", even if it comes from me!)

Basically, users would do best to use the program as a guide, model, and
starting point for their own. Tear it apart, understand it, then
rebuild it to fit your own use.

-- David McFarlane

On 2017-10-02 11:07 AM, Pili Fdez wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> My research team is designing an experiment on risk taking, in which we
> will concrectly need to use the Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART).
> Searching for the internet I've found several demos for PsychoPy and
> Inquisit Lab, but I would need to have the task for e-prime, because I need
> to connect e-prime with other programs to stream data.
>
> Reading some papers about BART and risk-taking I found this citation:
>

> "McFarlane, D. K. (2008). *Balloon Analogue Risk Task in E-Prime 2.0*.

a.ma...@keele.ac.uk

Mar 20, 2018, 3:40:05 PM3/20/18
to E-Prime
Hi David,

I have the same problem as Pilar. Is it possible to have the e-prime version of the BART you developed years ago?
It would be very helpful!

Many thanks.

Alice

David McFarlane

Mar 20, 2018, 5:46:58 PM3/20/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
BART file sent, I hope it helps.

-- David McFarlane

a.ma...@keele.ac.uk

Mar 21, 2018, 4:41:41 AM3/21/18
to E-Prime
Thanks David!!

Robert Porzak

Apr 8, 2018, 2:57:00 PM4/8/18
to E-Prime
Dear David,
Would you please be so kind and do it the third time? :)
I was trying to adapt Devon Struthers' experiment done in EP3 to the EP2 we have in our lab. Unfortunatelly the baloon size changes are done there with the support of slide theme - the feature not accessible in EP2. Coding this feature replacement is unfortunately out of my scope. Please be so kind and send your ep2 file.
With regards,
Robert

David McFarlane

Apr 9, 2018, 2:42:06 PM4/9/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Another BART file sent, thanks for asking. I had not looked at the PST
EP3 version yet myself, thanks for your short review. In my old EP2
version I just use a couple SlideImage objects on a Slide and then use
some inline code to resize the balloon image upon each pump, not sure
how I would do it differently with EP3 myself.

-- David McFarlane

On 2018-04-08 2:57 PM, Robert Porzak wrote:
> Dear David,
> Would you please be so kind and do it the third time? :)
> I was trying to adapt Devon Struthers' experiment done in EP3 to the EP2 we
> have in our lab. Unfortunatelly the baloon size changes are done there with
> the support of slide theme - the feature not accessible in EP2. Coding this
> feature replacement is unfortunately out of my scope. Please be so kind and
> send your ep2 file.
> With regards,
> Robert
>

> W dniu poniedziałek, 2 października 2017 17:07:02 UTC+2 użytkownik Pili
> Fdez napisał:
>>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> My research team is designing an experiment on risk taking, in which we
>> will concrectly need to use the Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART).
>> Searching for the internet I've found several demos for PsychoPy and
>> Inquisit Lab, but I would need to have the task for e-prime, because I need
>> to connect e-prime with other programs to stream data.
>>
>> Reading some papers about BART and risk-taking I found this citation:
>>

>> "McFarlane, D. K. (2008). *Balloon Analogue Risk Task in E-Prime 2.0*.

Robert Porzak

Apr 9, 2018, 7:01:46 PM4/9/18
to E-Prime
Thank you David!
I suppose that you did something what is a first version of current slide theme feature. Using your suggestions I'll try to adapt your inlines to the lasts EP2 version.
All best!

Robert

Robert Porzak

May 17, 2018, 3:09:18 PM5/17/18
to E-Prime
Dear David,
Thanks of your kind support I adapted your EP2 version of BART experiment to Polish language and it works fine. Don't you mind if I share it with my colleagues form other Polish universities? Or should I rather send it to you and you will share this Polish adaptation by yourself? In case of your agreement for sharing by me, may I add this file as a researchgate resource, availiable on demand, not as public? Of course, the whole info about your authorship is kept in the file unchanged.
Regards,
Robert

Huan Zhang

May 18, 2018, 2:50:56 AM5/18/18
to E-Prime
Dear David Prof.
          I have the same problem as Pilar. Is it possible to send the e-prime version of the BART to me ?
It would be very helpful! for our studies of socail statues and risk decision.
Many thanks.

Huan zhang
from shanxi niormal university in China.

Huan Zhang

May 18, 2018, 2:55:36 AM5/18/18
to E-Prime
I have the same problem as Pilar. Is it possible to have the e-prime version of the BART ?
It would be very helpful! for our studies of social status and risk decision.
   my email: zhuang...@163.com

Many thanks.

David McFarlane

May 18, 2018, 12:09:33 PM5/18/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
BART file sent, thanks for asking.

-- David McFarlane

David McFarlane

May 18, 2018, 12:24:10 PM5/18/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
PST makes their E-Prime 3 BART available at
support.pstnet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015569467-Balloon-Analogue-Risk-Task-BART-
, and Robert Porzak mentioned some features of their program earlier. I
just took a quick look myself.

The PST EP3 BART uses a separate balloon image for each size, which
seems clumsy to me -- I started with one full-size balloon image, and
then simply rescaled that as needed using the Stretch property. The PST
EP3 version also resizes the balloon stem along with the rest of the
balloon, which is not realistic -- I took care to keep the balloon stem
the same size at all times (used separate images for balloon stem and
balloon body, and just rescaled the balloon body). My version also
includes some sounds to accompany the task (e.g., a "bang" when the
balloon pops). And my version implements some careful randomization &
balancing of balloon pop sizes, although the programming for that gets
tricky.

Finally, the PST EP3 BART uses multiple response collection with a Do
Loop for the pumping; I use single response collection and an ordinary
List to do the pumping loop (although in retrospect I might have better
used a Goto instead of a List for the pumping loop). The PST version
also uses a SlideButton, which could make it easier to get a response by
clicking the mouse on designated screen areas, but they still just use
the keyboard for responses. (Their task instructions also contain a
misspelling, but now I'm nitpicking.)

To be fair, the PST EP3 BART is meant only as an illustration of some
EP3 programming techniques, and not as a model for a full-fledged BART.

-- David McFarlane

Justin Abernethy

Jun 27, 2018, 1:28:44 PM6/27/18
to E-Prime
David, sorry to continue this trend, but would it be possible for you to send the BART file to me as well? My lab will be revising the task for an upcoming project and this would be a great starting point. Thank you for all the help in this thread!

Social Neurochemistry Lab

Jun 30, 2018, 3:19:42 PM6/30/18
to E-Prime
Hi David,

Hate to add to the growing list of BART for Eprime 2.0 requests, but could you send that along as well.

Thank you,

Baldwin

Justin Abernethy

Jul 1, 2018, 4:17:41 PM7/1/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Alternatively, if someone who has already received the file could send it, that would be great too. Maybe someone could put it on a file sharing site so David doesn't need to keep sending this individually?

Robert Porzak

Jul 2, 2018, 7:00:30 AM7/2/18
to E-Prime
Hi Justin,
According to David's acceptance I published a link to Polish version of this file as a Method in my ResearchGate profile;
I know that Polish is not the most popular among researchers, however there are only a couple of sentences to be translated :)
Regards,
Robert

On 2018-05-18 2:50 AM, Huan Zhang wrote:

>> Dear David Prof.
>
>            I have the same problem as Pilar. Is it possible to send the
> e-prime version of the BART to me ?
> It would be very helpful! for our studies of socail statues and risk
> decision.
> Many thanks.
>
> Huan zhang
> from shanxi niormal university in China.

David McFarlane

Jul 3, 2018, 2:18:35 PM7/3/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
No problem, BART files sent to Justin & Baldwin. If I were clever
enough to run a website I would put it there for download. I didn't
know this would continue to be so popular after Tim Pleskac moved on :) .

-- David McFarlane

Stephanie Lee

Aug 2, 2018, 11:31:37 PM8/2/18
to E-Prime
Hi David,

Sorry to be adding on to the list. Would it be possible for you to share the BART file with me? It would be really helpful for an upcoming study in my lab - looking at risk decisions after engaging in social interactions.

Thank you!

Stephanie

David McFarlane

Aug 14, 2018, 4:02:58 PM8/14/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Stephanie caught me away on vacation/holiday, BART file sent now. Since
I'm not clever enough to put this on a website for download, only fair
that people ask me here. My apologies to those of you who see these
messages going by.

-- David McFarlane

On 2018-08-02 11:31 PM, Stephanie Lee wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Sorry to be adding on to the list. Would it be possible for you to share
> the BART file with me? It would be really helpful for an upcoming study in
> my lab - looking at risk decisions after engaging in social interactions.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Stephanie
>
> On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 2:18:35 AM UTC+8, McFarlane, David wrote:
>>
>> No problem, BART files sent to Justin & Baldwin. If I were clever
>> enough to run a website I would put it there for download. I didn't
>> know this would continue to be so popular after Tim Pleskac moved on :) .
>>
>> -- David McFarlane
>>

>> On 2018-07-01 4:17 PM, Justin Abernethy wrote:
>>> Alternatively, if someone who has already received the file could send
>> it,
>>> that would be great too. Maybe someone could put it on a file sharing
>> site
>>> so David doesn't need to keep sending this individually?
>>>
>>> On Jun 30, 2018 12:19 PM, "Social Neurochemistry Lab" <

Stephanie Lee

Aug 16, 2018, 2:54:13 AM8/16/18
to E-Prime
Thank you David for your help!

Hyuntaek Oh

Oct 30, 2018, 10:51:38 AM10/30/18
to E-Prime
Hi David,

Could you share me the BART e-prime ver.2.0 file you developed? Currently, E-prime only provides to generate the BART using ver 3.0 and there are couple of functions missing in ver 2.0 which I am using it now. It would be definitely helpful for my experiment.

Thank you!
Taek

McFarlane, David

Nov 2, 2018, 11:36:20 AM11/2/18
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
BART file sent, thanks for asking.

-- David McFarlane

Daniela Costa

Apr 3, 2019, 12:18:24 PM4/3/19
to E-Prime
Hi David,
I am also conducting a study where I want to access at the end of the experiment the risk-taking behavior of the individuals. For this, I need to do the Balloon Analogue Risk Task.
I would like to know if you could also provide me your setup from the task in e-prime 2.0. I am working with E.prime 2.0.10.356 Standard.
I would like to kindly thank you in advance for your attention.

Best regards,

Daniela

McFarlane, David

Apr 4, 2019, 2:06:04 PM4/4/19
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
BART file sent, thanks for asking.

-- David McFarlane

Alice Martini

Feb 26, 2020, 6:18:49 AM2/26/20
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I have been using the BART you developed since a while and it works very well (thanks for designing it!).

Do you know how many milliseconds are there between the moment in which the balloon is cashed (participants press N in the keyboard) and the window with "congratulations etc" appears? Also, how many milliseconds are there between the moment in which participants press V in the keyboard (and the balloon bursts) and the window "sorry etc." appears?

Alternatively, is there someone who knows this information in the group?

Many thanks for your help...and thanks again for sharing your task!

Best wishes,

Alice

Ms Alice Martini
PhD student
School of Psychology
Room DH 1.96
Keele University
Staffordshire ST5 5BG
England, UK

Email: a.ma...@keele.ac.uk

If you receive this email out of hours, there is no expectation that you will reply to it outside of your normal working pattern.

David McFarlane

Feb 27, 2020, 5:53:20 PM2/27/20
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Alice,

Fair enough. No one has ever cared about that before, so I have never
measured it and the program as supplied does not log the data that you
would need in order to measure that. But you may easily fix that for
yourself. Go to the TrialCloseSlide object and enable logging for
OnsetTime. Now in the .edat2 file you will get a new column for
TrialCloseSlide.OnsetTime, at the Trial logging level. Then subtract
the last BARTSlide.RTTime of the trial from TrialCloseSlide.OnsetTime to
get the time that you asked for. You could even automate this with a
bit of inline code after TrialCloseSlide. Or just try logging
TrialCloseSlide.OnsetDelay, which should come to pretty much the same thing.

And when you get this working, go ahead and report back here with your
results for all of us!

Thanks,
-- David McFarlane
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/Yj0TIrLQs9E/unsubscribe__;!!HXCxUKc!jYkBcjIuspyXM5wA0f6VU_z3Oq8RB6agfqlTRpRdW71YR8MM8YnZm-sW05coEP08$ .
>> e-prime+u...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/dd815d54-343a-ea47-7610-6f54d8866935*40msu.edu__;JQ!!HXCxUKc!jYkBcjIuspyXM5wA0f6VU_z3Oq8RB6agfqlTRpRdW71YR8MM8YnZm-sW05-BMbIT$
>> .

Farid Youssef

Mar 5, 2020, 12:21:08 PM3/5/20
to E-Prime
Hello David,

Is it still possible to get the epime BART program.

Thanks much

David McFarlane

Mar 5, 2020, 4:21:48 PM3/5/20
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Yes, BART file sent.

-- David McFarlane
>> <javascript:>.

Alice Martini

Mar 27, 2020, 12:03:27 PM3/27/20
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

many thanks for your reply (and apologise for the delay in getting back to you!).
I have tried as you suggested, it is very easy to do. It looks like the delay between participants pressing the key and the appearance of the visual feedback is around 30-50 ms, more or less. It is not systematic.

Cheers,
Alice

Nicholas Bellamy

Aug 18, 2021, 11:48:29 AM8/18/21
to E-Prime
Hi David,
Could you please send the E-prime BART file?
Many thanks,
Nicholas

David McFarlane

Aug 20, 2021, 11:16:05 AM8/20/21
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
BART file sent, thanks for asking.

-- David McFarlane

>>> e-prime+u...@googlegroups.com.

>>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/903e733a-d186-10a6-7bcb-be1d6016c162*40msu.edu__;JQ!!HXCxUKc!mRg0WmZMQlmfI4_RP_iLTa2Uf8VRrNvGEqTzoHsOMDDZ7YGfSxAqHRto6Bh7xFZw$
>>> .
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Ms Alice Martini
>> PhD student
>> School of Psychology
>> Room DH 1.96
>> Keele University
>> Staffordshire ST5 5BG
>> England, UK
>>
>> Email: a.ma...@keele.ac.uk
>>

>> *If you receive this email out of hours, there is no expectation that you
>> will reply to it outside of your normal working pattern.*

Luke Miller

Sep 24, 2021, 5:27:36 PM9/24/21
to E-Prime
Hello David,

Would it be possible for me to have the BART for E-Prime 2.0.10 (english version)? Thank you for your consideration!

Luke

On 2017-10-02 11:07 AM, Pili Fdez wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> My research team is designing an experiment on risk taking, in which we
> will concrectly need to use the Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART).
> Searching for the internet I've found several demos for PsychoPy and
> Inquisit Lab, but I would need to have the task for e-prime, because I need
> to connect e-prime with other programs to stream data.
>
> Reading some papers about BART and risk-taking I found this citation:
>

> "McFarlane, D. K. (2008). *Balloon Analogue Risk Task in E-Prime 2.0*.

Gewn hi Park

Sep 26, 2021, 11:29:00 AM9/26/21
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,
Could you please send the E-prime BART file?
I appreciate your help!
Best,

Gewn hi Park PhD

David McFarlane

Sep 27, 2021, 3:45:43 PM9/27/21
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
BART files sent, hope it helps!

-- David McFarlane
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2012-35010-001__;!!HXCxUKc!hgbAGpBMI8lKfXORSUi3WHUKARFM_WTHpMSsO14lK9K1G0Z7xbZq4fz7Jf9eUav4$>
> .
>
> Users cannot count on me to give any support for the BART program.
> Users may find a few notes at the thread at
> groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/9MySHSj4MDc
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/9MySHSj4MDc__;!!HXCxUKc!hgbAGpBMI8lKfXORSUi3WHUKARFM_WTHpMSsO14lK9K1G0Z7xbZq4fz7JSkvBfGN$>
> <mailto:e-prime+u...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/1b285da8-420d-4e2b-8661-7062930fb9f0n*40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer__;JQ!!HXCxUKc!hgbAGpBMI8lKfXORSUi3WHUKARFM_WTHpMSsO14lK9K1G0Z7xbZq4fz7JSENvmfS$>.
>

> --
> Gewn hi Park PhD

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/CAK6H0B%2Bm_tRdPg9q-hWwStGQjJmi6KnXxR1G5eThfKO2%2BtA8JA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/CAK6H0B*2Bm_tRdPg9q-hWwStGQjJmi6KnXxR1G5eThfKO2*2BtA8JA*40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer__;JSUl!!HXCxUKc!hgbAGpBMI8lKfXORSUi3WHUKARFM_WTHpMSsO14lK9K1G0Z7xbZq4fz7JQD0Zryj$>.
Message has been deleted

David McFarlane

Jan 25, 2022, 5:19:14 PM1/25/22
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for asking. I have attached the BART64.zip file. And thank you
for referencing the earlier discussion, as you can see that discussion
includes some useful notes about this program.

Hope this helps!

Meilleures salutations,
-- dkm
---------------
David McFarlane, Systems Designer
Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University
mcfa...@msu.edu

On 2022-01-25 Tue 8:40 AM, Cloélia Tissier wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I am also interested in your e-prime version of the BART. Could you
> please send it to me too ? I am struggling ..!
>
> Cloélia
>
> Le mardi 3 octobre 2017 à 21:12:28 UTC+2, McFarlane, David a écrit :
>
> I sent my BART materials to Pilar. This has come up a couple times, so
> I will take this opportunity to post some notes & explanation.
>
> That old link for the program went to a web page for the P.I. on that
> project, and that faculty member left here several years ago. We just
> did a major update of our departmental website, which took that page
> down. I don't really have another way to share that material, so best
> to e-mail me or any of the authors directly. The original citation for
> that work is Pleskac, T. J., & Wershbale, A. (2014). Making assessments
> while taking repeated risks: A pattern of multiple response pathways.
> Journal of Experimental Psychology: General,
> psycnet.apa.org/record/2012-35010-001
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2012-35010-001__;!!HXCxUKc!n015pBmK4yeKJLGJwrBYPEs7l3I8WQ7tk-i7N6P9p0vYYcD_nWcq9RccAO0kOw0k$>
> .
>
> Users cannot count on me to give any support for the BART program.
> Users may find a few notes at the thread at
> groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/9MySHSj4MDc
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://groups.google.com/d/topic/e-prime/9MySHSj4MDc__;!!HXCxUKc!n015pBmK4yeKJLGJwrBYPEs7l3I8WQ7tk-i7N6P9p0vYYcD_nWcq9RccABticYBz$>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/fd0ad41c-a72a-4c2e-9a65-7cced82e590an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/e-prime/fd0ad41c-a72a-4c2e-9a65-7cced82e590an*40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer__;JQ!!HXCxUKc!n015pBmK4yeKJLGJwrBYPEs7l3I8WQ7tk-i7N6P9p0vYYcD_nWcq9RccAHLM2z6i$>.
BART64.zip