Curations in workflow in DSpace 7.5

do...@uoguelph.ca

May 2, 2023, 11:06:44 AM5/2/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Hello again everyone,

I have written a custom curation task and I'm really struggling to wire it up to run as part of a submission workflow. No matter what I try, I can't see any indication that it's even trying to run my task at all. There's nothing about it in dspace.log at all and the item seems unaffected.

My curation task runs properly when you execute it via the command line or through the curation web interface.

Here's a GitHub gist with the relevant configuration that I'm using: https://gist.github.com/doana/1dc9fdb53b6fdaf92f23fdac69202f6e

What I've tried so far:
When executing my curation task through the CLI or web interface, I can see in dspace.log that it is working, and can see that it updates the item metadata accordingly.

I've also seen that there are a few issues on GitHub around curation but most seem centred around the vscan task and I haven't been able to glean much useful info from them. Notably after reading #2868 I'm not even 100% clear that this is supported at all in DSpace 7 yet.

Can anyone shed any light on this or offer any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Adam

Tim Donohue

May 2, 2023, 12:15:50 PM5/2/23
to do...@uoguelph.ca, DSpace Technical Support
Have you made sure to turn on the Workflow process for that Collection?

In other words, I'm pretty sure these Curation tasks wired into the workflow will only trigger​ if the Collection has at least one workflow step enabled.  If there are no workflow steps, then newly submitted Item will bypass the workflow process altogether and go immediately into the archive.

It's possible that what you are really wanting is the ability to run a curation task during the submission​ process (as that way it will trigger whether you have a workflow setup or not).  Unfortunately though that feature doesn't work yet in 7.x, but it is under development as noted here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/2868  (I suspect it may be completed in time for 7.6, but cannot verify yet.)

Tim

May 3, 2023, 8:27:40 AM5/3/23
to DSpace Technical Support, Tim Donohue
In other words, I'm pretty sure these Curation tasks wired into the workflow will only trigger​ if the Collection has at least one workflow step enabled.  If there are no workflow steps, then newly submitted Item will bypass the workflow process altogether and go immediately into the archive.
Thank you, Tim! That was the solution.

We can work with that for now and I'll keep an eye on that issue for the future.

Take care,
-Adam

---

Adam Doan | Analyst, Digital Strategy & Technology

McLaughlin Library | University of Guelph
50 Stone Road E | Guelph, ON | N1G 2W1
519-824-4120 Ext. 52974 | do...@uoguelph.ca

www.uoguelph.ca, www.lib.uoguelph.ca

1500656725244_uofg_cornerstone_improve_life.png