Bringup Dspace 6.3 from old contents of Dspace 4.2

Yesudian

Jun 25, 2019, 8:40:48 AM6/25/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi,

Greeting to you.

In our college, we were using DSpace 4.2 on Ubuntu 14.04. Because of some unknown hardware failures, we could not boot into the system. But we could take the copy of the $DSPACE folder with contents. (Please see the attachment)

Now, we have installed Ubuntu 18.04 and brought up DSpace 6.3. Would you tell us the set of procedures for us to import the old Dspace 4.2 into Dspace 6.3?

Regards
Yesudian Rajkumar
Dspace_Support_Logs

Tim Donohue

Jun 26, 2019, 1:40:21 PM6/26/19
to Yesudian, DSpace Technical Support
Hello,

DSpace 6.3 supports upgrading from any prior version of DSpace.  So, you should not need to use any special import process, provided that you were able to retain a copy of the main [dspace] folder (especially the "assetstore") and retain a copy of the database (where all the metadata is stored).  Here's the DSpace 6.x upgrade instructions, and these should work fine when pointed at a database from DSpace 4.x and an old [dspace] folder. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Upgrading+DSpace

If you have more specific questions, let us know on this mailing list.

Tim

Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect
DuraSpace.org | DSpace.org | DSpaceDirect.org

Yesudian

Jun 26, 2019, 10:57:41 PM6/26/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I will try them during next week and update you how it goes.

Regards
Yesudian Rajkumar

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 7:40 AM Yesudian <jyes...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Greeting to you.

In our college, we were using DSpace 4.2 on Ubuntu 14.04. Because of some unknown hardware failures, we could not boot into the system. But we could take the copy of the $DSPACE folder with contents. (Please see the attachment)

Now, we have installed Ubuntu 18.04 and brought up DSpace 6.3. Would you tell us the set of procedures for us to import the old Dspace 4.2 into Dspace 6.3?

Regards
Yesudian Rajkumar

Yesudian

Jul 4, 2019, 2:57:50 AM7/4/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Tim,

As per the suggestion -  https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Upgrading+DSpace, I followed the step 10) Deploy DSpace Web Applications [ recursively copied all the files, folders under webapps]. Now, I am not able to view the http://localhost:8080/xmlui and http://localhost:8080/xmlui. I are getting 404 error.

So, I followed the steps mentioned in https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-deployment in step 10. I created the xmlui.xml and jspui.xml under [tomcat]/conf/Catalina/localhost. Then I restarted Tomcat & Apache. But still, I see the 404 error.

Am I missing any steps? Could you please let me know?

Regards
Yesudian Rajkumar

Tim Donohue

Jul 8, 2019, 12:22:04 PM7/8/19
to Yesudian, DSpace Technical Support
Since you are performing both an upgrade and a migration at the same time, I'd recommend *first* doing a fresh installation of DSpace 6.3 following the Installation Instructions at:  https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Installing+DSpace , then you can move over your old data from 4.x into 6.x.  It can sometimes be difficult to do both a migration of data and an upgrade simultaneously.  So, if you can start from a "working" fresh installation, it'll be much easier to then move your old data / configuration over and get up and running quickly.

In any case, from the error, it sounds like you have not properly setup Tomcat to load the DSpace webapps (as Tomcat responds with a 404 error if the webapp isn't found or won't load).  It's also possible that your DSpace webapp is throwing an error behind the scenes -- so, you should check the Tomcat logs and DSpace logs (see  https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Troubleshoot+an+error for how to find errors in logs).

If you find an error in the logs and cannot figure out what it means, you may try searching this email list (or search Google) to see if others have had the same problem.  If you cannot find a solution, please send it to this email list and we'll see if we can help you.

Tim

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dspace-tech/cf63644b-33be-45e2-81b4-fc29523b0fe8%40googlegroups.com.

Yesudian

Jul 13, 2019, 4:43:10 AM7/13/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Dear Tim,

I tried to narrow down based the log location you have pointed out. The following SEVERE errors look more alarming. So, I increased DEBUG level to get more idea. I have attached the logs for the reference.

One error which I noticed is below:

INFO [org.dspace.servicemanager.DSpaceKernelInit] Created new kernel: DSpaceKernel:org.dspace:name=3ef28cec-58f0-4d20-a3e5-899d1c1168ce,type=DSpaceKernel:lastLoad=null:loadTime=0:running=false:kernel=null
Failure during filter init: DSpace home directory could not be determined. It MUST include a subpath of '/config/config-definition.xml'. Please consider setting the 'dspace.dir' system property or ensure the dspace-api.jar is being run from [dspace]/lib/.:java.lang.RuntimeException: DSpace home directory could not be determined. It MUST include a subpath of '/config/config-definition.xml'. Please consider setting the 'dspace.dir' system property or ensure the dspace-api.jar is being run from [dspace]/lib/.
13-Jul-2019 12:42:58.538 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.dspace.servicemanager.servlet.DSpaceKernelServletContextListener
 java.lang.RuntimeException: Failure during filter init: DSpace home directory could not be determined. It MUST include a subpath of '/config/config-definition.xml'. Please consider setting the 'dspace.dir' system property or ensure the dspace-api.jar is being run from [dspace]/lib/.
        at org.dspace.servicemanager.servlet.DSpaceKernelServletContextListener.contextInitialized(DSpaceKernelServletContextListener.java:92)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4853)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5314)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:145)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:725)

I could not find the local.cfg under my installation. So, I freshly created local.cfg under /home/libraryserver/dspace/DSpace/dspace/config/ with the below content:

Regards
Yesudian Rajkumar
dspace-more-logs-July14
dsp1.png

Yesudian

Jul 13, 2019, 4:47:34 AM7/13/19
to DSpace Technical Support
The content of local.cfg is

libraryserver@libraryserver:~/dspace/DSpace/dspace/config$ cat local.cfg
# This is a simple example local.cfg file which shows off options
# for creating your own local.cfg

# This overrides the default value of "dspace.dir" in dspace.cfg
dspace.dir = /home/libraryserver/dspace/DSpace/dspace
dpace.cfg = /home/libraryserver/dspace/DSpace/dspace/config

Adigun Samuel Akinwale

Jul 16, 2019, 7:50:44 AM7/16/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Thank Mr. Tim,

Do you mean that to upgrade Dspace one can copy both the accessstore and database into a fresh higher installation and it will work?. I know in koha once can copy the database to a fresh higher installation but needs to run upgrade scripts to upgrade the database.

Thanks

On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 7:40:21 PM UTC+2, Tim Donohue wrote:
[...]

Tim Donohue

Jul 17, 2019, 12:12:20 PM7/17/19
to Yesudian, DSpace Technical Support
Hello Yesudian,

That error is saying that your DSpace 6 installation does not seem to be valid.  For DSpace 6 to work properly, the directory that is defined in "dspace.dir" configuration *MUST* have a file at the path:
[dspace.dir]/config/config-definition.xml.

If that "config-definition.xml" file doesn't exist at that location, then DSpace 6.x will be unable to run.  If you find that it's not in that location, it's likely either your "dspace.dir" configuration is incorrect (in your local.cfg) or you didn't complete all steps of the DSpace 6.x installation process.

So, you may want to review the DSpace 6.x installation instructions at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Installing+DSpace

Tim

Jul 17, 2019, 12:15:32 PM7/17/19
to DSpace Technical Support, Adigun Samuel Akinwale
Hello Adigun,

Yes, that is correct.  DSpace will automatically upgrade the database structure if you point a new version at an old version (see the Upgrade docs for more on that).  And, the assetstore folder structure has been the same since 1.0.  So, you can install a fresh copy of DSpace, and copy over the assetstore folder and point it at an old database -- and that will result in an upgraded DSpace.  Obviously, configuration changes and User Interface customizations are *not* automated, so you'd have to redo those, or pull those over in a more manual fashion.

See the Upgrade docs for more info: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Upgrading+DSpace
With the addition of our automated database upgrades, we highly recommend AGAINST customizing the DSpace database tables/structure or backporting any features that change the DSpace tables/structure.Doing so will often cause the automated database upgrade process to fail (and therefore will complicate your next upgrade).

Tim