JAVA_OPTS

Maiia Zbitnieva

Feb 14, 2020, 2:58:47 AM2/14/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Good day! Could you please help me to install quickly Dspace 6.0 binary release. Promt me please where (in which file) to set the following parameter JAVA_OPTS:
"You need to ensure that Tomcat uses UTF-8 as its default file encoding for international character support. So ensure in your startup scripts (etc) that the following environment variable is set: JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx512M -Xms64M -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"
With respect.

Michael Plate

Feb 14, 2020, 3:44:54 AM2/14/20
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maiia,

Am 14.02.20 um 08:58 schrieb Maiia Zbitnieva:
> Good day! Could you please help me to install quickly Dspace 6.0 binary
> release. Promt me please where (in which file) to set the following
> parameter JAVA_OPTS:
> "You need to ensure that Tomcat uses UTF-8 as its default file encoding
> for international character support. So ensure in your startup scripts
> (etc) that the following environment variable is set:
> /JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx512M -Xms64M -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"/"
[…]

depends on your OS.

Linux usually keeps it in /etc, Debian based (Debian, Ubuntu) in

/etc/defaults/tomcat8

Else this thread might help:

https://serverfault.com/questions/79641/how-can-i-configure-tomcat-java-options-in-a-config-file

CU

Michael

Майя Збитнева

Feb 14, 2020, 4:24:52 AM2/14/20
to DSpace Technical Support
Thank you!

Майя Збитнева

Feb 14, 2020, 10:15:41 AM2/14/20
to DSpace Technical Support
I use ubuntu 18 and tomcat 9. I couldn`t found file /etc/default/tomcat9. But I found in Internet the following recommendation: "/etc/systemd/system/tomcat.service". Is that right?

Michael Plate

Feb 14, 2020, 11:53:29 AM2/14/20
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
Am 14.02.20 um 10:40 schrieb Майя Збитнева:
> I use ubuntu 18 and tomcat 9. I couldn`t found file
> /etc/default/tomcat9. But I found in Internet the following
> recommendation: "/etc/systemd/system/tomcat.service". Is that right?

Don't know Ubuntu 18, sorry.
You might get problems anyway with tomcat9 and Java newer than Version 8
- you can run DSpace with Java 11, but can't install presumably.

CU

Michael

Maiia Zbitnieva (Майя Збитнева)

Feb 14, 2020, 12:59:10 PM2/14/20
to DSpace Technical Support
I use Java 8 as indicated in DSpace installation instruction. An I use Tomcat 9 because there isn't restriction in DSpace documentation on version of Tomcat. Why did say that problems can be with version 9 of  Tomcat?

Paul Münch

Feb 26, 2020, 9:04:10 AM2/26/20
to dspac...@googlegroups.com
Hello,