Not sure where to install Dspace application and warning in database connection test

Michel Souza

Jul 31, 2019, 8:48:47 AM7/31/19
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi guys, probably this is a dummy question (I'm kinda newbie here). I'm starting to know more about Dspace and installing it here in my institution. There's something I do not understand: which location should I use to install Dspace (maybe you're already thinking where you wish) but I'm following a tutorial (non-official) that it's kinda confusing me. I'm installing the Dspace resource version, so I downloaded the application and unziped it and I could see that there's already a folder (called 'dspace') where I could use to build the app. However when I go to the '~/dspace-6.1-src-release/dspace/target/dspace-installer/config/dspace.cfg' file, the attribute 'dspace.dir' is set to '/dspace': yes I know that I can probably change this with what I want, but the thing is many TomCat configuration files from the tutorial I mentioned consider '/dspace' as the place where the application was installed. What I really question myself is why don't use the 'dspace' folder that is inside the unziped source code and build the application somewhere else?

I used the 'dspace' folder as the location where I installed the application (Dspace) for now

Here is the link from the tutorial I'm using (https://amdmaher.wordpress.com/dspace-digital-repository/dspace-6-installation-on-debian-9-stretch/)...I'm using also the official documentation to try to understand how I can figure things out.

Second question: Is the warning concerning database connection test that I'm receiving when the application is built or rebuilt harmful? Should I do something to fix this? The warn file is attached
Translation for the Java.net.UnknownHostException: [java] java.net.UnknownHostException: poc-dspace: Name or service unknown

Ps: I'm using Debian 9!!!

Thanks in advance.

dspace-source-folders-and-files.png
dspace-test_database_WARN.png

Tim Donohue

Aug 1, 2019, 5:55:35 PM8/1/19
to Michel Souza, DSpace Technical Support
Hi Michel,

The Installation documentation for DSpace gives a brief overview of DSpace directories:

Be aware that you always must *build* DSpace from the [dspace-source] folder (which for you sounds like is ~/dspace-6.1-src-release), and you must *install* it to a separate location (which we refer to as [dspace] or the installation folder).  NEVER install DSpace into the same "source" folder, as that will cause major issues.

If the tutorial you are following is confusing on this factor, I'd recommend reading the Installation documentation itself first...to get an overview of the process of installing DSpace.  Maybe you'll even find the installation docs to be clear enough to use them directly.  Here's the installation docs I'm referencing: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Installing+DSpace

I don't know the answer to your database question, as "poc-dspace" isn't something that comes with DSpace by default.  Is it maybe referencing something you've setup?  If so, then that WARNING is likely saying that DSpace doesn't understand what you are calling "poc-dspace"...as it says "Name or service unknown".

If you have other questions let us know on this list, and hopefully we can help!

Tim

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 8:48:47 AM UTC-4, Michel Souza wrote:
Second question: Is the warning concerning database connection test that I'm receiving when the application is built or rebuilt harmful? Should I do something to fix this? The warn file is attached
Translation for the Java.net.UnknownHostException: [java] java.net.UnknownHostException: poc-dspace: Name or service unknown

This appears to be a problem with your server's network configuration.  See, for example,  https://serverfault.com/questions/779804/fix-error-unable-to-set-localhost-this-prevents-creation-of-a-guid .  I found this by asking Google for 'net.sf.ehcache.Cache "unable to set localhost"'

Michel Souza

Aug 2, 2019, 2:42:32 PM8/2/19
to DSpace Technical Support
I'd like to thank both of you Tim and Mark for your answers.. I got some progress with my previous problems. I have another warning that I don't understand. It's about 'email session' as you can see in the attached file ('test_database' portion). Is this somehow related to 'Email configuration' session inside the '~/dspace-source/config/local.cfg' file? This information is all commented in my file as you can equally see attached.
dspace-local.cfg-email-configuration-session.png
dspace-WARN-email.png

Mark H. Wood

Aug 5, 2019, 9:12:56 AM8/5/19
On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 11:42:32AM -0700, Michel Souza wrote:
> I'd like to thank both of you Tim and Mark for your answers.. I got some
> progress with my previous problems. I have another warning that I don't
> understand. It's about 'email session' as you can see in the attached file
> ('test_database' portion). Is this somehow related to 'Email configuration'
> session inside the '~/dspace-source/config/local.cfg' file? This
> information is all commented in my file as you can equally see attached.

No, that warning is due to excessive caution, and you can ignore it.

DSpace webapp.s can use an email Session which is given to them by the
Servlet container (e.g. Tomcat) instead of creating their own. If
DSpace looks up a Session and doesn't find one, it issues this warning
and then creates its own Session.

The message should not have been issued, and in fact this has been
corrected in DSpace 7. See https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3433,
and https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2247 if you would like to
back-port the fix to your repository.

--