Oddities around the Creative Commons license configuration in item-submission.xml

Paige Morgan

May 12, 2023, 1:19:11 PM5/12/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi, all--

We recently altered our item-submission.xml config file to start allowing users to select a Creative Commons license during the upload process. It's working, but for reasons that aren't clear to me, users are seeing two options to select CC0 (see below). Other than uncommenting this step, we haven't made any alterations to this part of the code.

Anyone have any ideas about what might be happening? Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Thanks in advance,
Paige

image.png

---------------------
Meeting/regular work hours: Monday - Thursday, 9am-5pm; limited email on Friday mornings.

Dr. Paige C. Morgan

(she/her/they)
Digital Publishing and Copyright Librarian,
Head of Digital Initiatives & Preservation
University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press (on Lenape land)
Morris 118
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8076-7356
pai...@udel.edu
302.831.7153

Make an appointment to meet with me: https://calendly.com/paigecm/ (Meetings available via Zoom, phone, etc.)
** I observe email-free evenings and weekends. **

Erica Johns

May 12, 2023, 2:19:00 PM5/12/23
to Paige Morgan, DSpace Technical Support
hi Paige,

We've noticed the same thing at Cornell. I made a ticket for this with dspace and it was determined this is a bug on the CC side. I then made a github ticket with CC to fix. CC has marked the ticket high priority and awaiting triage. https://github.com/creativecommons/creativecommons.org/issues/1273

best,
Erica

Paige Morgan

May 12, 2023, 2:21:57 PM5/12/23
to Erica Johns, DSpace Technical Support
Thanks, Erica -- while I don't love bugs, I'm always relieved to hear that I'm not the only one seeing them.

Happy Friday,
Paige

---------------------
Meeting/regular work hours: Monday - Thursday, 9am-5pm; limited email on Friday mornings.

Dr. Paige C. Morgan

(she/her/they)
Digital Publishing and Copyright Librarian,
Head of Digital Initiatives & Preservation
University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press (on Lenape land)
Morris 118
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8076-7356
pai...@udel.edu
302.831.7153

Make an appointment to meet with me: https://calendly.com/paigecm/ (Meetings available via Zoom, phone, etc.)
** I observe email-free evenings and weekends. **

Erica Johns

Jun 1, 2023, 3:05:43 PM6/1/23
to Paige Morgan, DSpace Technical Support
follow up question to this issue: what will happen to the items that selected a CC license until the bug is fixed and selected one of the two same options? do we have any sense of whether these will map and which CC license they will map to? perhaps we can make recommendations of which CCO to select?

thanks,
Erica

Paige Morgan

Jun 2, 2023, 9:56:27 AM6/2/23
to Erica Johns, DSpace Technical Support
I would like to know this too -- CC licenses can be confusing for our researchers, and I'd like to make sure we're not adding in any more chaos into the mix than is necessary.

Paige

---------------------
Meeting/regular work hours: Monday - Thursday, 9am-5pm; limited email on Friday mornings.

Dr. Paige C. Morgan

(she/her/they)
Digital Publishing and Copyright Librarian,
Head of Digital Initiatives & Preservation
University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press (on Lenape land)
Morris 118
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8076-7356
pai...@udel.edu
302.831.7153

Make an appointment to meet with me: https://calendly.com/paigecm/ (Meetings available via Zoom, phone, etc.)
** I observe email-free evenings and weekends. **

Tim Donohue

Jun 15, 2023, 11:14:42 AM6/15/23
to DSpace Technical Support
All,

A quick follow-up on the CC license listing "CC0" twice.  It appears there's a simple configuration in dspace.cfg which can "solve" this problem within DSpace itself.  A new PR was just submitted which includes that configuration change: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/8903

The entire configuration change can be found here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/8903/files

This is under review/testing, but assuming it works well (I expect it should) this will be in the upcoming 7.6 release.

Tim